Photo

Lost My Babies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Juddy B

Juddy B
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hi everyone, seeking some help please, we just bought a new Female EY on the weekend that was carrying babies in her mouth. we were told to keep her in a holding net which we did. And today my wife came home and saw that she had released a few but saw her take them back in her mouth later. So we figured she's just taken them back in again. But looking at her now we think she has eaten them. Should we have tried to take her out as soon as we see them all come out of her mouth. We have now released her and the dominant male has already started the courtship process, just minutes after letting her free. Would that have any effect on her, eaten them. And how long can we expect the female to breed again. Thanks

#2 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

i would go and strip her now if i was you, if the babies were free swimming then they are ready.
just put them in a little tank with a air rater and heater.
or ice cream tub with air rater floating in your tank for temporary.
stripping isnt hard, check youtube i know people of this site have made youtube vids.

cheers jess.

#3 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

if the male is courting her she should breed soon enough.
Just keep an eye out for her egg tube because that is when she is ready.
Females do "sometimes" eat their young but its never happened to me.
If the babies were in a net in the tank other fish can still pick at them aswell .
not sure if thats any help but anyway

thanks
joe

#4 nick05

nick05
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

Sound like she ate them if you can't notice the pouch under her mouth any more, for next time before releasing the female back in I would make sure she gets a few good feeds first, if your male is already courting it may be too much for her, remember she hasn't eaten for 3 weeks (except her fry possibly) so she is still weak.
Also consider a 1:2 or 3 male : female ratio, so the male is continually going at it with her cos no doubt she is not ready yet.

If you're not wanting to lose fry next time, consider stripping if you are comfortable enough doing it, there is a great video pinned on here. (put together by the committee I believe?)
And to answer your question my female EYs breed about once every 4-5 weeks inc. holding for 2 weeks.

HTH
Nick

#5 Juddy B

Juddy B
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Thanks very much for the info, I had them in a net, should i get a separate little breeding tank. I have got 2:1. How long should you keep mother and fry together, or should you try and remove her straight away. I did manage to get her to eat food thats how we determined she didn't have them anymore.

#6 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

I remove my females as soon as they have spat.
Generally I leave them for about 3 weeks then when you grab her in the net and remove her from the tank she tends to spit there in the net.

Andrew

#7 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

i wouldnt leave them with the mother for any amount of time after stripped.
a 2 foot would be good for fry, and air rater small heater and filter set on low with a sponge on the outside to stop the little ones getting sucked up.
i like to put java moss(every one has it and many would give you some) in cause they are normally terrafied.
tip on stripping: whilst her mouth is open and she is upside down rub your finger up and down her throat that will make her spit most of them.

cheers jess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users