Photo

Oh Dovii, Where Art Thou?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Try and find the course of your Dovii... and try not to mix bloodlines. Pretty important to get a nice gene pool happening i reckon.

And a big tank... Bigz care to share the details on your fish and the tank setup? Also any pics if you got them.

#22 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

yeah thats true, i know mine came from over east but thats bout as much as i know on what blood line it is.
its hard enough findin a dovii at all ,yet alone another blood line

#23 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:02 PM

Atm they only in a 4 footer with a small amount of gravel and a large curved rock they can hide under so its fairly plain. Their next tank will be quite a monster.

Males colours are really starting to shine I might see what I can do about pics. The female has also recently had a growth spurt while I kept her separate from the male as hes a food hog and also he kept her stressed out. And shes getting much stronger darker colours. Males touch on 25cms female about 18-20. Previously I was feeding them upwards of a dozen plus crickets every night plus more during the day along with other foods eg gold fish, pellets, beef heart (which they didn't take a liking to) prawn and the odd moth.

Before I made it so the female could cross back over from her side of the tank he got a bit sooky and barely ate for a month or two nows hes picking up again. Quite funny really.

I'd kept 1 of the fry from the last spawn which is about 8-10cm now and teeth are showing plus a little colour not to mention its seemingly already developing a numptual hump already. Before I get any PM's about buying this fish I'm sorry but it already been promised to someone.

I refer to the male as the smiling assassin as it looks like hes always got a grin yet hes a ruthless killer.

Yeh think thats about all there is to say about them.

Oh and Twist I think most fish come from over east as mine did but I know some dovii are floating around Perth from a long while back, but if you can source a male I'd highly doubt the chances of it being the same blood line. I've seen a number for sale over east too.

#24 joop

joop
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Global @ Apr 19 2008, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seen a Dovii male around the 32cm mark sold in a LFS for around $250, about 6 months ago. Pefect specimen too. When it was put for sale by one of the employes of the shop's personal stock, i didnt think it was going to sell! Small shop, more pet shop than fish shop (mind you good stuff at times). But it sold within a week.
Global.

if you dont mind saying what petshop is that?
i think i remember that 1 if its the same shop

#25 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Bigz, i dare say that if you got a 6 x 2 x 2 or bigger.... breeding would be MUCH MUCH easier and you would be far more successful. Keep the 4fter for a grow out.
I want a breeding pair of dovii now ahaha

#26 Global

Global
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (joop @ Apr 22 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you dont mind saying what petshop is that?
i think i remember that 1 if its the same shop

joop, i think you are correct, the LFS is in your area.
Global.

#27 joop

joop
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Global @ Apr 22 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
joop, i think you are correct, the LFS is in your area.
Global.

i think more fish now and less ''pets'' good shop though

#28 Global

Global
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (joop @ Apr 22 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think more fish now and less ''pets'' good shop though

Its getting there, a friend of mine owns it. They had a lot of problems with tank stands and white ants, so its gone thru abit of a transformation. Good to see more tanks! biggrin.gif
Global

#29 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Blakey @ Apr 22 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bigz, i dare say that if you got a 6 x 2 x 2 or bigger.... breeding would be MUCH MUCH easier and you would be far more successful. Keep the 4fter for a grow out.
I want a breeding pair of dovii now ahaha

Yeh that was the plan use the 4 footer as grow out, well I've got a 6footer I might move them into just need to get rid of the other fish in there first. Interested in a few festae? The convicts I might just see how they go with the dovii when I move them in haha.

#30 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

What do the festae look like? they are a nice fish

#31 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

festaes look awesome, i have a pair that im hopin will breed soon the females colour up really nicely and the males have a nice blue shimmer through them, fairly aggressive too apparently the bigger they get the more aggressive they get. my female is bout 10cm ish males prolly round 13ish

oh and bigz can i put a dibs on a male from your next spawn?

#32 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:04 PM

If theres a spawn I'll keep you in mind mate. I've got a few festae 2 small ones and one about 15cm problem with him is his jaw looks out of line, didn't realise this till I got him home

#33 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

cheers
how out of line is it like munted or justa little skewif and male or female?

#34 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (TWiST @ Apr 23 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cheers
how out of line is it like munted or justa little skewif and male or female?

I guess that comes down to the eye of the beholder but id say not to bad and its a male. Seems to of partnered up with 1 of the smaller 6cms ones so might have a pair.

#35 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

problem with him is his jaw looks out of line, didn't realise this till I got him home

Just a word of caution here,.
Talking from an experience of mine last year.

"Some" , not all abnormalities are hereditary. I had a Red Empress who's body had a kink just in front of the tail, it wasn't until he bred that I noticed all his offspring had the same trait.

The fry were all culled & he is now living a bachelor life in the show tank.

May I suggest you keep an eye on any fry he fathers.

This is not a criticism, just pointing out what "could" happen.

Cheers
Col

#36 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Col thats a good point you make. I don't intend keeping them long anyway so probably won't see offspring if they have partnered.

#37 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (TWiST @ Apr 21 2008, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive just been officially informed that my dovii is a female i wasnt sure for a while coz i didnt know what size they coloured up mines colouring really nicely for a female tho but i still want a male for her to breed with i was a little dissapointed at first but she is still really aggressive so i can deal with it

so whos got a male for me? lol

did you show someone at malaga pic on your phone? if so that was me. 99% sure it's a girl based on the pic you showed me.

#38 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Apr 30 2008, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
did you show someone at malaga pic on your phone? if so that was me. 99% sure it's a girl based on the pic you showed me.

lol yep that was me, i really wanted that dovii hey your lucky that you got it

#39 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

Yeah have a few smaller ones growing out. May be able to help you with a male at some stage.

The male I got that was at malaga is an agro ****.... true dovii behaviour.

#40 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ May 2 2008, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah have a few smaller ones growing out. May be able to help you with a male at some stage.

The male I got that was at malaga is an agro mofo.... true dovii behaviour.

that would be sweet
cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users