Photo

German Blue Rams & Black Ghost Knife Fish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

I've recently moved out all my fish in my 3ft tank & replaced them with 5 blue rams ( approx 3 - 4 cms ) but I also picked up a black ghost knife fish ( approx 8 - 10cms ) now I've had either of these fish before.

So far I am a little bit dissapointed with the rams, I thought they would colour up once I had them in my tank for a week but they still look fairly pale. does the color change/improve with age? anyway they are feeding well & seems like a couple of them have paired up. any advice on where to get good quality rams?

now my concern is the black ghost, I know he is going to get too big for the tank which I will sort out as time goes on but will he be a treat to the rams?? I might end up selling this guy if this is a yes because I'd rather have the rams.

any advice would be appreciated.

#2 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

My BGK did get fin nipped a little, but after a few months (6 months, grew 15cm to the now 20+cms) it grew big enough to swallow most small fish smile.gif and tried! You would not believe how big they can open their mouths...

#3 Jaraqui

Jaraqui
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

BGK's have huge mouths from very early on; it actually extends slighty beyond the eye. As he grows he'll most certainly have a go at the Rams, so I'd watch his growth rate compared to the Rams.

As for the Rams colouring up, mine didn't show any real beauty up until a couple of weeks in my 6ft tank. For the first week I fed them an assortment of live foods and then moved onto the pellet staple. Give them some more time to adjust!

#4 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:20 PM

As mentioned the Black Gost knife will out grow your tank and will eat your rams when it gets enough size. The Rams do well in a well planted tank that is not to bright. They do best in conditions similar to Discus, Warm, Soft water with a PH 6 6.5.

Tony

#5 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

thanks for the advice! I;m thinking of moving out the BGK & getting some more rams..

#6 Jaraqui

Jaraqui
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

That would probibly be the wisest choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users