Photo

Dangerous Dogs Keep Killing And Mauling Kids

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#1 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Im so sick of this, another kid dead and family torn to bits, all because some morons think its cool to own a dangerous dog, I pray for the day when we become serious like the UK about dangerous dogs and wipe them off the face of the Earth and people whos dogs attack other people should get put down with their stupid dog, or at very least be tried for manslaughter, how can these owners walk scott free? in any other instance if you cause death through neglegence you are put behind bars, IMO any owner of a dog that causes someones death should do at least 10years behind bars, no parole.

As usual the owner will say "hes never done this before" thats what every owner says after their dog attacks someone.

http://www.theaustra...x-1226117740867

http://www.theage.co...0818-1j08c.html

I love what George Galloway says to all the dog loving "nutters", we share many of the same arguements but hes much more eloquent.

This sick woman has 3 large dogs on her bed!! hear what George calls her!!!

Look at this nutter lady says, "dogs are the same as children" OMG what a sick in the head freak!!

Edited by Den, 19 August 2011 - 12:37 AM.

#2 Global

Global
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:10 AM

Just out of interest Den, have you ever owned a pitball, american staffy, german shepherd, rottweiler?

I dont know, just curious..

Dont get me wrong i dont believe in keeping nasty dogs.

I have done in the past but not now.

and im with you den on the baning of these animals, here say the pitball, but it could be any breed of dog.

#3 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:16 AM

EDIT........Removed on the grounds this is pointless..

Edited by Riggertron, 20 August 2011 - 08:10 PM.

#4 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (Riggertron @ Aug 19 2011, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't agree with the banning of certain breeds of dogs. Yes I agree that some so called dangerous breeds should and do require special measures such as muzzles while being in public. Although having said this I believe the owners of any dog have a responsibility to train there animal. I worked in a kennel with hundreds of different dogs and in my experience very few of the so called dangerous breeds of dogs were actually dangerous... After spending 5 minutes with a dog you can see what sort of environment they have been raised in... Friends of mine own a 55kg mastiff who is the gentlest, but dopiest, dog I know because she has been trained correctly. They also have a maltese shitzu that came from the rescue home and he cant be left with kids, this is because he was tormented as a pup by 3 young boys..I have seen so many small breed lap dogs that are antisocial and will bite you the first opportunity they get because of there environment. Just because a dog is small doesn't mean it doesn't need to be trained.
The fact is people need to be educated before they go out and buy ANY dog, it's a big commitment and not one that should be taken lightly....
I myself have a staffy x pup and because of the training he has and still gets everyday is a social well behaved dog and has been taught from an early age to have a "soft bit". This is a training technique used to teach dogs the difference between play and actual full force biting. Golden retrievers natural have soft mouths which is why they are used for retrieving. I have owned many different breeds and all have had similar natures and temperaments because of the time and effort I have put into training them.

IMO it's not the breed that makes the difference it's the owner... Yes it's sad that kids get mauled but what do we do? ban all dogs????they all have the potential to cause harm no matter what breed or size...

Maltese shitzu unlikely to kill a child

#5 rebeky23

rebeky23
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (Tarpon @ Aug 19 2011, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maltese shitzu unlikely to kill a child

but is very likey to tear a kids face to shreds , the stats prove it

#6 Niz

Niz
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

IMO it's not the breed that makes the difference it's the owner

^^ this

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

G'day

That time of the month again Den?

What do you classify as a dangerous dog? I could write a massive essay on this topic, but will refrain.

Any dog that is mistreated has the potential to be a danger, especially to kids. Just like any person behind the wheel of a car has the potential to harm others, that is just the nature of the beast and is the human condition. The sad fact is that most dog attacks happen from the family pet, not someone elses 'vicious dangerous dog'. I was given some interesting statistics recently at uni on cats causing infant deaths, by smothering them in their cotts, usually due to the cat seeking warmth. Should we all fly off the handle and demand cats to be banned?

I'm sick of needing a license to do anything, and absolutely everything being overly policed. Look at what is potentially happening to our hobby! It is a VERY SAD day when my choice in pets is limited to neon tetras and poodles... because people fly off the handle demanding bans on everything...

I close my eyes at night and am haunted by nightmares.... nightmares that involve perthnow.com.au, today tonight and A current affair...

excuse me... my latest shipment of bubble wrap has arrived... and i need atleast 3 layers before I leave the house!

Alex

#8 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

The problem with many people is that they do think that the 'dog' is equal to humans, as those radio broadcasts display. The truth is that they are animals and a pack animal at that. Sigularly they are a product of their environment, but as a pack they quickly turn, sepcially the larger animals, ie rotties Dobes, shepherds etc. There was a case in Wanneroo a few years ago, three Rotties on their land, went over into the neighboring farm and killed an older woman. I know one guy on this forum who has 5-6 rotties and cross', but he also has a few acres of land, albiet good, still doesn't take away the resposiblity of the owners. I must admit when picking up fish, the dogs are what could you say 'dawnting', and I am very concious of them, and to some degree uncomfortable, but hey its his home.
I own a Dobermann, and he is an inside dog also, he is my constant companion at home, but when people come I will put him outside, but that depends on the poeple also. I would post up a photo of how vicious he is but I can't find it. He is stretched out on the floor in the lap of about 7 kids tongue hanging out loving it, ages of kids around 4-10 they are all pulling him and patting, he loved it. He is not vicious at all.
However in saying that, he is a dog and I would have no hesitation in dealing with him appropriatley, trust me (I'm an ex used car salesman). tongue.gif
Over the centuries the savageness has been breed out of most quality dobes and I am sure I can say that of most pop breeds as those mentioned above, but you can get the odd ball in that.

I must admit, Den to put someone in Jail because of the dog, I am not sure. I suppose when we can put the parents of our out of control teenagers behind bars for the willful damage they do, possibly that may set a standard for us to work from.
Banning those known breeds that are bred for one thing and one thing only, they shouldn't be allowed in the country and as the radio fellah said muzzels possibly an answer.

#9 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (rebeky23 @ Aug 19 2011, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but is very likey to tear a kids face to shreds , the stats prove it

Where are you getting your info from??
Medical journal of Australia 1997 73.3 % dog attacks by bull terriers, german shepherds, heelrs, dobermanns, rotties
Maltese Shitzu crosses don't rate a mention

#10 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hey Tarpon would be good to put the % by each animal, and the circumstances, ie, guard dogs etc, instead of bunching them all together.
Although dogs are not people, and human beings do rate the highest in the food chain etc it does not take away the fact that many people act worse than animals and I think that is what many are trying to say.
Dogs are animals after all. Humans should be humans but unfortunatley we can't treat them the way we do our animals, although at times we would love too.

#11 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (fourdapostle @ Aug 19 2011, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Tarpon would be good to put the % by each animal, and the circumstances, ie, guard dogs etc, instead of bunching them all together.
Although dogs are not people, and human beings do rate the highest in the food chain etc it does not take away the fact that many people act worse than animals and I think that is what many are trying to say.
Dogs are animals after all. Humans should be humans but unfortunatley we can't treat them the way we do our animals, although at times we would love too.

I will tonight when I get the time, this issue is well researched in Australian medical literature

#12 procull

procull
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:18 AM

http://city-south-ne...45-dog-attacks/

local figures

#13 procull

procull
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

http://www.dog-obedi...s-by-breed.html

usa figures

#14 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the figures Procull, and it would seem that if we continue down the same path as the USA, we too can look forward to such horrific stats...thanks again

Would appreciate that Tarpon...

#15 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

EDIT........Removed on the grounds this is pointless..

Edited by Riggertron, 20 August 2011 - 08:07 PM.

#16 procull

procull
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Tarpon @ Aug 19 2011, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where are you getting your info from??
Medical journal of Australia 1997 73.3 % dog attacks by bull terriers, german shepherds, heelrs, dobermanns, rotties
Maltese Shitzu crosses don't rate a mention

What these so called stats don’t take in to consideration is that sheps, fatweilers and dobes are working dogs, just how many of these bites are justified on the street? I.e. police and security.
after consulting my diary from 1997 , my Dobermans had a total of 18 street bites , I can guarantee those stats ended up being used to bump up the figures for Dobermans and the same would happen for the other 2 breeds .
I just finished a 3 month consulting contract with a local council animal management unit , during this time I talked in depth with the ""dog catchers "" .the number 1 type of dog involved in bites on humans is the designer lap dog i.e. Maltese Shitzus , most of these bites are to the face and eyes
Number 2 is the ""pit bull "" type x breed and number 3 is the gsd x.
It’s a very very rare day that a pure looking dog even crosses their path
Another massive factor influencing attacks is the socioeconomic status of the area, the lower the area the higher the incidence of problem and biting dogs
Another massive consideration whilst anecdotally is just how few dog bites get reported correctly, at least 25% of bites are reported as “”some random pitbull looking dog “”and when these are investigated by animal management it’s found that the greater majority these bites were actually the family fluff ball that has since been put down, these figures never make the stats, only the figures from the initial complaint
BAN THE OWNER, NOT THE BREED

#17 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (procull @ Aug 19 2011, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just finished a 3 month consulting contract with a local council animal management unit , during this time I talked in depth with the ""dog catchers "" .the number 1 type of dog involved in bites on humans is the designer lap dog i.e. Maltese Shitzus , most of these bites are to the face and eyes

Point taken but if these lap dogs were such prevalent biters why aren't they showing up in the stats which are based on hospital admissions, and I can tell you having worked ina kids hospital, every dog bite on a childs face ends up in hospital. Otherwise its just anecdotes like you yourself state re "pitbulls" are unreliable
My initial point was that shitzus don't kill, look at you own Americal paper

#18 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

Small dogs are renouned yappie snappie dogs especially terriers. I had my jack russel whose attitude was suicidal, I couldn't trust him with my kids na alone anyone elses. I can understand that the lap dog would attack the face and eyes however no stats to conclude this assumption but after owning one I could believe it...

#19 procull

procull
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (Tarpon @ Aug 19 2011, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Point taken but if these lap dogs were such prevalent biters why aren't they showing up in the stats which are based on hospital admissions, and I can tell you having worked ina kids hospital, every dog bite on a childs face ends up in hospital. Otherwise its just anecdotes like you yourself state re "pitbulls" are unreliable
My initial point was that shitzus don't kill, look at you own Americal paper

i can tell you straight , very few facial bites end up in hospital
my own daughter was biten on the cheek by a pug but didnt require a hospital visit , just a trip to the local doc for stitches
point is that the info gained is tilted towards the easiest target and at the moment it just happends to be pit bulls , a few years ago it was mastiffs up here
at the end of the day i dont give a toss if its a foxie or a great dane that bites someone , there is allways a reason why the bite happened .
its a very very rare dog that just goes out and chews on some one , there is all ways a cause ,
after 25 years of working dogs , gaining a masters in vet science , doctorate vet tec and a bat degree in animal phy i have a rare insight of what breeds , how , when , why and will bite
everything else is hype caused by a media beat up and johny doogooders of this world

#20 fourdapostle

fourdapostle
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hey procull ease up its ok to have opinions, its just a discussion.
What happened with the Pit bull in your opinion, why did it get out of its yard go next door kill one child and attack another?....you can't say that the kids were in that yard teasing the dog, even if they did it really doesn't make it right, does it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users