Cost To Paint A Car?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

I'm in the market for a fun weekend car, most likely a RX7 FD3S.

Just wondering how much it would cost to spray a car a different colour? Am seeing some nice examples out there (good engine work, mods etc) but not the colour I like.

Dazza

#2 CichlidLife

CichlidLife
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

7-10 years ago I would of said 2-3 grand would get you something decent... and it would of been true (had several quotes for a car I had at the time)

I haven't kept up to date but nowadays you probably wont get much change from 5-6 or even 7k+ unless you have a contact in the spray painting game.

And that will be a good job, but just your standard.

A couple blokes I know spend 20-40K on paint for there old girls (HQ's, LX's, Chev's etc)

Big bucks!

Edited by CichlidLife, 12 December 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#3 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

20-40K you would have to be talking air brushing would you ? That's one expensive paint job geeees smile.gif

#4 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Not at all ray , I have seen 20k plus paint jobs , pearl harlequin ect and they would have to be seen to be believed .

Some of the harlequin paints cost aroun $7000 a litre

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Contact Big Pete, He may be able to help.

#6 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Geeeeeeees that's some $$$ paint Hooton smile.gif

#7 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

l built alli tray for the back of a HQ ute, he had a nice paint job and he got it done by tafe students and a cheap price.. l couldnt see difference from pro spray painters.. l suppose you would have to know people tho or get hold
of the tafe.. tongue.gif

#8 CichlidLife

CichlidLife
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Yeah hooton's on the money... pearl harlequin on the right car is orgasmic!

But yeah, 20-40k on paint in the "motoring enthusiast" world is considered normal

Come to think of it Ant... I have seen some of the spray jobs that the young lads produce out of the polytechnic west (carlisle campus) workshop, and I was pretty impressed, unfortunately I would have no idea on how to actually get your car in there or how much it would cost

#9 BIG-PETE

BIG-PETE
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (scottyhooton @ Dec 12 2012, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of the harlequin paints cost aroun $7000 a litre

who told you that

heres a few i have done dazz and what price was charged
57 chev paint only was 20k ,had the car for 8 months

crawler was a quick job 4k panel and paint done in acrylic

one tonner 10k

#10 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

i spent 10k panel and paint 18 years ago on my falcon... it'd be double that now no problem at all.....

#11 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hey dazza my mates little brother has a mini Cooper for his first car and pranged it the first week rang around the tafes and got them to paint it came up smick can't remember exactly what it cost him but it was cheap.

#12 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Cheers for the info guys.

Big Pete on a complete paint job (versus just external) do u need to pull out the engine etc?

How long do the quick jobs like the crawler take versus the longer ones?

Daz

#13 69olds

69olds
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hey Dazza,
I think an easier question would be "how long is a piece of string" But seriously W.A. is the most expensive state in Australia to get a car painted and the paint that you use will make the cost vary greatly lacquer paint is basically the easiest and cheapest paint you could use dont quote me but for under $200 you could get 4 Litres of lacquer a bit of thinner and your good to go the paint is easy to put on and has its shine built in.
Then you could go the other way basecoat/clearcoat urethane the basecoat needs a thinner/reducer and a catylyst finishes almost matt then you apply the clearcoat/hardener also needs a reducer and a hardener/catalyst this is not easy paint to use and better left to the boffins lacquer can be applied by just about anyone with a fair sized compressor and a halfway decent spraygun.

But the biggest problem is the more you do the cheaper it gets rub the car back yourself and you save several hundred bucks on the paint shop labor if the rust isnt that bad do it yourself and do as much bodywork as you can getting the panels as smooth as you can more savings if your painter is a decent bloke he will let you come in and rub the car back a couple of times to get it smooth the more you do this the smoother the car the better the paint job will be.

Although my car is much bigger i have just had mine finished it took almost 2 years but was dont when the painter had the spare time and labour came out to around $6-7K To buy 4 Litres of basecoat 5 Litres of reducer 3 Litres of hardener is around $1,500.00 and i had to buy that 3 times.

If you can get a bc/cc job done for under 10K jump at it and good luck.

heers
Neil R Stoker

#14 BIG-PETE

BIG-PETE
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

dazz did you get my PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users