My Trip To St. George Aquariums In Sydney

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

The girlfriend and I went for a treck around some Sydney suburbs and checked out St. George Aquariums in Rockdale. Pics aren't too fab but you get the idea tongue.gif

Some nice cichlids that we don't see over here too often like Lichnochromis acuticeps!

They also had some of the best marine setups I've seen (both fish & coral for sale) with crystal clear tanks and great presentation.

Enjoy!

Daz

#2 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Nice pics daz. Looks like you got the whole tour

#3 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Nice Pics Daz....Its good seeing how other people do it.

Im pretty sure we had acuticeps for quite a few months and know-one wanted them tongue.gif

#4 (Anthony)

(Anthony)
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for sharing Daz,
How much rooms of fish tanks was there?
Nice pics aswell

Anthony

#5 AfricaFan

AfricaFan
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Krystal @ Jul 28 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im pretty sure we had acuticeps for quite a few months and know-one wanted them tongue.gif

Hey Krystal, do you still have them? If not, and you get the crazy idea of bringing some over from NSW let me know.

Cheers,
Brenton

#6 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

They have had that green aro for sometime. I think I visited about 10 years ago, and they had it then.

The big tank at the front used to have a big TSN in it. Would get fed all the deformed fish.

#7 raven

raven
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

thanx for the pix daz the place looks huge some nice fish there

#8 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (AfricaFan @ Jul 30 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Krystal, do you still have them? If not, and you get the crazy idea of bringing some over from NSW let me know.

Cheers,
Brenton

Sorry, we sold the last one a few weeks ago sad.gif

If we ever get them again you will be the first to know.

#9 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Jul 28 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anthony, Phil & Nico,
Look at this pic, you can see Golds & blues. Now you can see why sometimes you get good quality stock & sometimes you dont.

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Jul 28 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL Looks like someone used to be a tagger.. unsure.gif

#10 convict paul

convict paul
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:09 PM

LOL Looks like someone used to be a tagger..

haha they all have a certain way of writing tongue.gif

awesome pics Daz!
you dont see "inspection invited" on LFS signs here mellow.gif

#11 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

Charging more for males then females is a bit rude.

I want them tangerine tiger Likoma island....yes please.

#12 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

I think it's to deter people just from buying males and leaving all the drab, colourless females in store. Nothing worse than having a tank full of fish that doesn't look pretty, might forget the I.D. of or get mixed with other similar looking fish (a bit like the state peacocks are in now). Is the same as putting up a price for a M/F pair.

There was heaps of stuff in there I would've like to get my hands on. Some decent sized fish too.

#13 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (convict paul @ Feb 17 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
haha they all have a certain way of writing tongue.gif

awesome pics Daz!
you dont see "inspection invited" on LFS signs here mellow.gif

Ahhhhhh yes...
I had to change the way I wrote on tanks many years ago. It was a little obvious. Many moons ago.

#14 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (gibbs @ Feb 17 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Charging more for males then females is a bit rude.

I agree the difference is a bit disturbing..... but see it in the eyes of the LFS... 90% of customers want coloured males, the other 10% want to breed them.... the 10% are normally forum members, so they get discounts, and since they want to buy colonies (buy numbers) they get a bigger discount again...
And then there is the issue of ratio of males and females when the LFS buys them.... normally the breeder has sold the bigger or majority of the males on the forums, and then offloads the remaining fish (mainly females) to the LFS.... how can the LFS survive when all the fish look brown/grey and the 90% of customers are looking for coloured males???

What you will find with some LFS, the female prices are less than the normal margin required to run the shop, and the males are higher to compensate.... the assumption is that there are sufficient males to keep the balance of margins high enough to keep the shop operating.... if there are too many females, then the shop will have to cop it sweet and still try to find the nice smile for the next customer....

So I would not like to say that charging more for males is rude... perhaps $45 vs $15 is a bit rude, but expecting $25 vs $15 should be accepted.

#15 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

/\/\ Agreed /\/\

#16 alasmn

alasmn
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi all. I'm from Wollongong (just south of Sydney) and you did go to one of the best shops in the area. No one can compete on there size.
I'm new to this site and to forums (my very 1st post on any forum) but if any one is interested in Sydney and/or Wollongong (Illawarra) cichlid meetings don't be afraid to let me know.

Alex

#17 Anita ozfish

Anita ozfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Jul 30 2009, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The big tank at the front used to have a big TSN in it. Would get fed all the deformed fish.

We once put an old umbriferum female in that tank for retirement - she must have been a good 11" and chunky as !!
The TSN just came out as soon as she hit the water and swallowed her face-first past her eyes. We were all gobsmacked.
Obviously she was too big to eat but she never recovered from that rip.gif

#18 OrangeBemba

OrangeBemba
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Feb 17 2010, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree the difference is a bit disturbing..... but see it in the eyes of the LFS... 90% of customers want coloured males, the other 10% want to breed them.... the 10% are normally forum members, so they get discounts, and since they want to buy colonies (buy numbers) they get a bigger discount again...
And then there is the issue of ratio of males and females when the LFS buys them.... normally the breeder has sold the bigger or majority of the males on the forums, and then offloads the remaining fish (mainly females) to the LFS.... how can the LFS survive when all the fish look brown/grey and the 90% of customers are looking for coloured males???

What you will find with some LFS, the female prices are less than the normal margin required to run the shop, and the males are higher to compensate.... the assumption is that there are sufficient males to keep the balance of margins high enough to keep the shop operating.... if there are too many females, then the shop will have to cop it sweet and still try to find the nice smile for the next customer....

So I would not like to say that charging more for males is rude... perhaps $45 vs $15 is a bit rude, but expecting $25 vs $15 should be accepted.

Thanks for that.

I will never feel bad again taking only a few males and the rest females.
I always held back as I thought it was being rude.

But I full understand your point, why would the "public" wish to have a dull grey looking fish when they see a fantastic blue one in the same tank and at the same price. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users