How Quiet Is A Aqua One Ar850

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tomcat

tomcat
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hi All

A while ago I purchased a Aqua One AR850 tank and stand however I never had the room to set it up..... but now I do. I would love to put it close to the bedroom however I have my concerns how laud its going to be? Currently I have a Aqua One AR380 running (utilising the wet and dry filter) and its not the most quiet of setups. Any thoughts?

I also have brand new Eheim 2217 at my disposal that I could use instead of the wet and dry inbuilt filter, would that run quitter? By using the canister filter I could possibly convert the wet and dry filter area and install a nice LED light in its place for some extra lighting.

Any ideas, feedback or comments welcome.

Cheers

Ps: I am very light sleeper

#2 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

Well with the 2217 at your disposal if you wanna use that instead of the standard filter then you will only hear the water movement which comes down to how you set up your spay bar. If the spray bar is above water level then you will hear only that. If its below then your tank will be dead silent. Great filters IMO. Its nice to have 2217 outlet above the water level tho to create some airation.

#3 Jewel

Jewel
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

I have an Aqua One AR850 aquarium.  The only noise it makes is the water flowing from the overhead filter into the outlet.  It is a very small gurgling sound that is inaudible from a couple of metres away.  I improved my wet/dry filter by replacing most of the ceramic noodles with Seachem Matrix.  My aquarium is well stocked but I have no ammonia. I have a power head to circulate the water and disturb the water surface.

#4 jeffblack

jeffblack
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

No idea if tunze make what you're looking for, but im ecstatic with the equipment ive got from them, super quiet, bit pricier than the chinese crap ,and no, I have no affiliation with tunze. However if any tunze reps are reading this, I am more than happy to plug your product for freebies

#5 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

i have a jebo with the wet and dry filteration system disconnected and i am using a eheim wet and dry 2229 canister filter and the only sound i can hear is my air pump running just for airation...quiet as a mouse now...but running the built in wet and dry filter it drove me mad...i lasted a week and stripped it all out and set up the eheim...

set up the 2217 and have the spray bar just below the surface but turn upwards to break the surface and it will be super quiet...might need to tweek the position a little to get the flow just right and it will super quiet.

load up some pics now we are all involved in the set up...thats how its works on here.

#6 Jewel

Jewel
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

I have a 20 litre Blue Planet aquarium with the wet and dry filtration system.  The water return on it is quite noisy, much noisier than the Aqua One.

#7 tomcat

tomcat
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

Great feedback. I think that the gurgling sound would drive me mad.... I am now convinced that I will have to go with the canister filter and as silverscreen suggested face the spray bar slightly up to break the water tension for extra aeration as there is no way I could run a air pump. 

Any suggestions what would be the best way (most appealing) to run the hoses into the tank through the top. I intend to remove the existing pump and all the parts from the wet and dry filter. I am planning to use it as a display tank. Any ideas/picks would be  greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

#8 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

Posted this a million times. Forget the spray bar and attach a Venturi to the canister. Heaps of aeration and no sound. No need for air pumps etc.

#9 tomcat

tomcat
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

That's a great idea to put a Venturi onto the outlet pipe it would inject sufficient O2into the water. The only problem with that could be the current it would create through the tank. I am planning to stock with AUS rainbows, that's 1000L/PH in a 165 L tank....... I am almost certain it would create a eddy/whirly effect. I think by utilising the spay bar  it would disperse the flow evenly through the tank and with the venturi attached to the hose it would still inject the O2 into the water through the little holes when fully submerged.

#10 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Posted this a million times. Forget the spray bar and attach a Venturi to the canister. Heaps of aeration and no sound. No need for air pumps etc.

Ordinarily I would agree but the Ar850 is only a bit over 150L from memory. A 2217 could have this tank churning (perhaps not churning, but you get the point). I personally would utilise the spray bar just to disperse the current while keeping the flow.

Try with and without - see what you prefer.

#11 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

I probably should have made a point of finding out the volume of the tank I guess. But good point give them both a crack see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users