Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Setting up a new tank - WARNING may contain large files!

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:57 PM

Seachem Purigen.... will make your water crystal clear... but costs a packet!

http://www.seachem.c...es/Purigen.html

#42 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hmmm.. Thanks for that. Will just wait it out, since I will be away on 2 back to back trips. I am hoping that the cloudness will clear by then.

#43 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:29 PM

Update - Lost one of the SAEs! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Wife said rest look ok, nothing gasping of the surface and the rest swimming about like everything is normal, so don't know if that was a weak one or if the rest of them will be dead tomorrow!

Couldn't get her to do water test for me.

#44 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

Day 11 Update

So far so good, no more fish deaths and everything else in the tank seems active. I wish I had some seeded media to put into the tank to hasten the cycling process, but I guess as with all new tanks, Patience is the key. Can't believe that it is only 11 days!

Can't wait to get back to see if the water is less cloudy or not.

#45 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:05 PM

Yahoo!! Just got back and my tank is clear!! Will try to take some pics in the morning if SWMBO dosen't have a list of chores for me!

#46 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

Couldn't resist and switched on 2 tubes for a few minutes to take a look at the tank. The tank is still slightly cloudy, but much much clearer then when I left. Plants are starting to show growth and some baby crypts are coming out. The water is tea colored so a partial change is on the cards when the tank is fully cycled, figure that it will take another 2-3 weeks.

What I thought were emersed MMs are growing and the immersed leaves are developing, but not looking like MMs. Will get a pic of them and hopefully someone will be able to tell me what it is. I am only running partial lights now, so they are reaching, but I will deal with that later. The long stems will make for a good harvest so I can plant more and get the ground cover going (if I can train them to creep).

#47 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:49 AM

I have finally down loaded the pics that I took last week and some from this morning.

Here is a pic from Day 7.

#48 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:52 AM

Here are some pics from this morning, Day 14

Sorry about the QC of the pics! Does anyone make tanks out of non reflective glass? Probably cheaper to get a polarising filter!

I thought these were MMs, but I now think they might be Rotala indica. If so they are in the wrong place in the tank!!!!! You can see the emersed leaves at the bottom and the immersed leaves on the top.

Pygmy Swords starting to put out runners. Nurpha Japonica and Rotala Macaranda starting to show behind the DW.

#49 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:01 AM

Here is an Aponogeton capuroni

and a Aponogeton madagascariensis which is in the wrong place as well, as there is no place for the leaves to spread sad.gif Still kicking myself! Will wait till it hybernates before relocating.

#50 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

Your tanks looking great Alfred,
hows all the fish doing? water parameters ok?

Graeme

#51 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:46 PM

That almost looks like Whirly Rotala in the last pic (back left plant).

Mike smile.gif

#52 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

Thanks guys. Still has a way to go yet.

That is Rotala wallichii in the back on the left. Easy to grow if you have light, which you don't have right now, but not to worry, I will save cuttings for you. The have doubled in length since day one.

#53 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Alfred
Its common name is Whirly Rotala, Ive had it grwoing in my tnak but the Mollies LOVE eating it. Its been reduced to a few rather bald looking sticks Im afraid.
I gave my 'sticks' to Graeme, they bounce back nicely. See Graeme that is what they will look like if nothing eats them biggrin.gif

Mike

#54 swarvegorilla

swarvegorilla
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2005 - 06:40 AM

Looking good dude. You gonna chuck some shrimp in there? My favourite planted guys are those fanshrimp/riffle things. Similar to those amano critters. They would go spastic with joy in a tank like that.

#55 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:06 AM

Right, I'm off to Hong Kong for a week. Hopefully I will find some toys in the land of aquarium goodies!

I would love to put shrimps in, but the regular shrimp in the LFS don't have a very long life. Wish i could get some cherry reds, banded or amano shrimps which tend to have a longer life span.

Will likely do the first water change when I get back.

#56 locus

locus
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:43 PM

Your "Rotala indica" appears to be Ludwigia arcuata.

#57 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:16 PM

Hmmm looks like I must have the names wrong then. Thought the arcuata was in the back behind the macaranda. Thanks.

#58 vishy_100

vishy_100
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2005 - 07:52 AM

I think yyou have the names wrong Alfred, As Locus said that small spikey one at the front appears to be ludwiga arcuata and the on at the back near the macranda looks like ludwiga repens,
Thanks
Matt

#59 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for letting me know.

cheers

#60 Alfred

Alfred
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

Back from my trip and the water is clearer, but I have green spot algae on the glass. Have pulled out all the Ludwiga Arcuata that was up front and have yet to figure out what I want to replace it with.

I am however very happy with the Rotala Macaranda that has grown out well. Big leaves and all red too!

I will try to post pics tomorrow, I managed to take some before I did any work to the tank, hopefully they will come out ok!

Now, I have some powdered ferts, how do I do this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users