Possibly Getting A Snake.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

hi guys,
so after seeing ronny's pictures and other forum member pictures of their snakes i have decided to look into getting one of my own.
im not really looking to breed or anything just get a baby childrens python and raise him/her.
ive being googling all day and learnt a lot.
so far this is what i need, as all of my tanks are unsuitable.

· Appropriate licence for keeping protect animals
· Escape proof cage (baby and adult)
· Heating (heatpad and heatlamp)
· Thermostat and thermometer
· UV lighting (when older)
· Water spray bottle for misting the cage during shed
· A “humid-hide” for shedding
· Clean substrate
· Hidey-holes
· Habitat
· Waterbowl
· Cage Cleaner
· Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
· A variety of food.

most of this stuff i will getting online (only big brands but)
and i will try source a baby childrens python out from a local breeder.
most importantly what should i use as a cage? i want one that is suitable for him/her as a baby to an adult.

all help appreciated:)
cheer jess

#2 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

Everything there sounds pretty good mate, good to see you've done your research! Unfortunately we cant get childrens pythons here but we can get a different antaresia species called the stimsons python, basically the same thing but they grow a tiny bit larger. Alternatively on a cat 3 licence you could get a southwest carpet python which is native to your neck of the woods! Every snake has different needs though.

If youre getting a stimsons python i wouldnt worry about the heat lamp, UV lighting isnt particularly important with stimsons either as they are mostly nocturnal and supplement what they dont get through their diet, luckily though its easy to get UV fluro globes so might as well do it anyway (i do).

Also when choosing an animal make sure you ask to see a record of the snakes feeding/shedding/deficating to make sure its healthy and eating properly (even ask to see it being fed!) and have a really good look at it to check for any scars, injuries or abnormalitys. Dont be shy to look around as there are plenty of places around selling hatchlings these days, the best ones we found were at the armadale reptile park and reptile traders in rockingham.

My girlfriend said shell send you some links from one of her snake forums for some DIY stuff (i dont have them), we made our own enclosures and humidi-crib for shedding out of tupperware containers. If you get a hatchling its not a really good idea to put them in a big enclosure straight away, better to start off in a clik clak tupperware container with a toilet roll with one pinched end as a hide, nice and cheap and sits 30% on a heat mat no problems!

Also a bit of a note for feeding, never feed your snake in the enclosure as they catch on pretty fast and link your hand in the cage with food and tend to get a bit snappy, we always feed ours in a seperate container so when ever we stick our hands in the enclosure they dont get snappy. Ive only been bitten once luckily!

If theres any other advice you need either throw me or any of the other snake lovers on here a PM or post, im sure you wont have any dramas mate!

[attachment=12479:IMG_3998.JPG]
[attachment=12478:IMG_0853.JPG]
[attachment=12477:IMG_0830.JPG]

Edited by ice, 25 April 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#3 Wet Dreams

Wet Dreams
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hey Jess,

Go check out the range of setups at SW Pets, some awesome setups and good prices too. All the accessories too.
Have a chat to Ryan as he knows his stuff with reptiles too, and got all the frozen food there too.

I woulda got one a while back but the mrs won't even consider it haha.

#4 Imogen

Imogen
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hey Jess

Check out aussiepythons.com - great forum.

we also made our own click-clacks for our young pythons, but you wont need as many holes as this guy did as he was in QLD, and the humidity was a lot higher: http://www.aussiepyt...ack-dial-93266/ - good guide to what you need and how to set it up. There's also HEAPS of posts on there that will help you choose a species and how to setup etc.

Like Dave said, rockingham reptile traders and armadale reptile park had great hatchlings- and the staff there are very knowledgeable (armadale were a bit hesitant to sell hatchlings under 4-5 months, but they really were spectacular- we saw hatchies from their stimson pair Bec and Ian (if you go to look, youll know what i mean) smile.gif Also...if you hold a few hatchies, dont worry if you get a flighty one- at that age, they're rarely handled and after being held a few times a week they really settle down. What you're looking for is clear skin and eyes (unless it's coming up for shed obviously), active and responsive, with a good feeding sheet - i.e. a snake that hasn't refused many meals and hasn't had to be force- fed is a good feeder.

Good luck getting setup - my advice would be to setup before you get your python, thermostats and your heat mat definitely need to be tested to make sure they're functioning properly- don't want a burnt snake- or a cold one! I'm sure you will, if you're a fishy smile.gif

Good luck choosing your python- i know we held about 15 snakes each before we chose ours! A lot of fun smile.gif I'll keep an eye out for you on the python forum smile.gif

-Imogen

#5 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

wow! thank you everyone..
wetdreams: ill go talk to ryan next time im in.
ice: okay thats fine i guess better because the stimson doesnt need a heat mat, what category is it?
imogen: thanks ill check that they have feeding sheet and ect.. thanks for the pm to.

cheers guys, so now its a stimsons python haha:)
so ill go to see ryan at sw pets tomorrow and get back to you all.
thanks again.

#6 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

Stimsons actually do better with a heat mat, they prefer it to a globe. Ive seen them in the wild basking on warm surfaces at nightfall, we dont run a heat lamp in ours at all. They are a category 3 which shouldnt be a problem for you to get as an inexperienced keeper. I would advise you to read up on stimmys and snake keeping and maybe go and do a coarse? We did one with a guy by the name of David Manning, this is his website:

http://www.animalark...au/services.php

We did the practical reptiles & amphibian care one, it was a good recap on everything we already knew and we also learned a few new tricks. Plus you get to see and play with all his lizards, snakes and frogs. Well worth it and it looks great on your licence application too.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions mate.

-Dave

#7 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:41 AM

wow thats a great idea if only fish had thing like this.
ill try do that course and see if im still interested.
thank you:)
and i will pm you any questions.. thank you all.

#8 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:58 AM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#9 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

The more simple you keep it the better and easier it will be for you.

A basic setup for a hatchling would be a click clack, heat pad or cord, a dish for water and some paper towel for the bottom, hides and a perch.

My little set ups a similar to what ice put up except I have paper towel on the bottom.

All up wouldn't cost more than $100 and will do for a hatchling for up to a year depending on size.

The above info is mainly for a "hatchling" snake.

In my honest opinion though, I would recommend you get a yearling instead.
Something that if well established and feeding well to avoid some of the issues mentioned above from other people wink.gif
There's nothing worse than buying a hatchling only to find, he doesn't eat unassisted and has shedding problems!
It's a pain in the ass!

Definitely go have a look on aussie pythons, SO much info there!

Speak to people that keep them before you talk to people in the pet shops, you always hear of stories where people have walked out with stuff they didn't even need and end up making click clacks anyway.

Shoot us a PM if you like too wink.gif

Sorry for getting you hooked, it starts with one..... lol

#10 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

Haha it sure does, im probably going to get a BHP/Woma and a SW Carpet as soon as i can! Our click clacks have paper towel in the bottom also, that pic was a 3rd one that we use to feed them outside the enclosure. Youre right about the yearling too, would be much easier starting out with one. We were lucky with our two hatchies to not have any big dramas although we did have feeding problems with one of them for a month or two. Still, its a great way to learn!

#11 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Go the woma over the bhp!!! tongue.gif

I'm just a little bit biased smile.gif lol

Any reason why you feed them outside their click clack?
I heard some people think it helps with cage aggression but I feed all my snakes in their clicks and haven't had a problem with any.
Makes ut easier not handling them after a feed too wink.gif

#12 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

ronny i read if you feed them in their cage they get aggresive and nippy.. i read that, not that i have any experience lol.
i went and spoke to ryan today, he said you may aswell get a cage for him/her as an adult. he said dont worry about buying a small cage then needing to upgrade.
sarah ill pm thank you for the info.
so i yearling is better? i think id prefer that aswell.. only because i want one that i can handle abit more straigh away.. plus i dont want any eating,defecation or shedding issuses.
hahah sarah am i making you want to get snakes again? laugh.gif
thanks everyone for the info.. oh and id rather a stimson than a carpet, only because i dont want a bigish snake.. just one that grows to a metre.
thanks every one.

#13 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

Like I said, I feed mine in their click clacks all the time and I have no problems.

If you get a little snake and throw him in a big enclosure, sometimes it makes them feel insecure.

Snakes like to be in a secure environment where they can feel safe.

Hence why people often say to use a small click clack until they are bigger and more confident in their surroundings.

Then there are the people who say "they live in open spaces in the wild, so why can't they have a big open enclosure" These are normally the people who have never seen a snake in the wild and are internet herpers lol.

Most times when you see a snake in the wild, it's hiding under a rock or under a log or something like that cos that's where they feel safe.

A mate of mine showed me a python in the wild that he's seen in the same spot for the last ten years under the same rock. It has all this open space but chooses to stay under that rock. I believe him cos it was there when he showed me lol.

So I guess it's really up to you if you buy a big enclosure from the start or buy a click clack as a temporary home for a smaller snake. A click clack set up won't hurt the wallet anyway wink.gif

What ever snake you get, you always have to give it time to settle in which can take at last a week.
This means no handling and minimal disturbance.

Hatchlings in general can be quite nippy and it takes time for them to settle down.
I still have one snake that is a bit nippy and flighty but settles down once he knows he's in no danger.
With time, he'll be fine but this also comes down to the individual snake.

When you choose your snake, ask the breeder/seller if you can handle it to see how they handle so you know what you're getting. Having said that though, a snake can be cool and calm when you handle it but once you've got it home they can be a bit nasty due to the stress from transport etc. Which is why it's important to let them settle.

You say you want a small snake now like I did, but then you want something bigger with a bit of weight lol.
It just happens for some reason tongue.gif

#14 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

Edited by Sarah Jayne, 03 January 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#15 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

good idea sarah,
yeah ronny do you mean Tupperware like a plastic container when you say click clack?
how much are yearling stimson pythons in perth? what should i suspect?
cheers

#16 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

Everyone calls them click clacks:p
Im guessing it's cos of the sound the latches make lol
I use the 7L sistema ones you can get from woollies wink.gif

From memory I think stimpsons were around the $300 mark, have a look at the wheatbelt locales, one of the best in my opinion but each to their own smile.gif

#17 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

ok so its the "tupperwear" with the latches on them.
i think i might try get all the heating stuff second hand.. i was looking at some of the prices at my LFs o.0

Edited by smellsfishy, 26 April 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#18 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

For heating, I use a heatcord with a thermostat.
A thermostat works like the heater in your fish tank.
It turns on when the water is cool and turns off when the temp you set is reached.

It's worth getting to ensure you don't overheat and cook your snake, plus you can still use it for when you get an enclosure.

Have a look on "the herp shop" for aome thermostats.
I'd recommend a pulse proportional one as they are more accurate and stable wink.gif

Prices aren't too bad from the herp shop wink.gif

#19 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

hey guys,
one more question.
how long will it take me to get my license and for it to go through so i can use it?
thanks.

#20 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Sorry can't help you there, as I haven't done it in WA.

If it's anything like ours, you can apply for it, call them everyday after and ask for you reptile keepers license number and you can quote it when you pick up your reptile.

I got most of my reptiles before I actually got my license cos it wasn't processed but they gave me my AKL number and I was able to purchase reptiles smile.gif

But again, I'm not sure...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users