Keeping Axolotls Cold In This Heat

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chan

chan
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:08 PM

hi i don't know if this has been mentioned before so i do apologise if it has,

im struggling to keep my axolotls cool in their tank... its only a tiny one with 2 very happy little guys but I'm having to change ice packs a few times a day and its not even warming up to summer yet. :(

is there something i can buy to keep the water cool?

i keep and breed cichlids so making sure a tank is around 26 is no problem but now trying to keep this little one under 20 is seeming to be difficult.

hoping someone has an easy and cheap idea what to do other than put them in the fridge  :P

thank you in advance  :)

#2 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

Could Try a fan blowing over the surface?

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:50 PM

not cheap but you can use a chiller to keep water temp cool.... most fishops sell them... well the good fishops do anyway :)

#4 In between tanks

In between tanks
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

Cold water water changes

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:40 AM

A lot of us struggle to keep tropical tanks under 30 in summer as you may have experienced too. Axo's will be history long before that. I reckon do what Johnno suggested and buy a chiller. http://www.aquariump...au/chillers.php
http://www.thetechde...lers_s/2055.htm
If they seem a bit pricey, have a look on Gumtree and put a WTB ad in the PCS Classifieds
Or head to our nearest sponsors for a look at some of the cheaper, less effective cooling options. Probably Veba's and Pet Magic but worth a trip to Aquotix too.

Edited by malawiman85, 08 November 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#6 chan

chan
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice I'll go have a look!

#7 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:24 PM

move to albany.....its bloody raining down here

#8 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

Either a chiller or at the shop I freeze 2 stainless steel bowls of water and put them in the tank in the morning, seems to be doing well, keeps the boys at a cool 16-19 all day.

You can also put axolotls in the fridge at around 4 degrees, a good glass baking dish and a damp tea towel will help with this :)

#9 Holy22

Holy22
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

This might be a bit agricultural but has worked well for me in the past, if you have a bar fridge handy, or any old fridge that works, drill two holes in the side large enough for bulkheads, get some flexible retic hose or anything similar, roll the hose up and place in the fridge, take the two ends and feed through both bulkheads, seal these so you don't lose the cool, so one hose is your return and the other is your inlet, attach a pump to the inlet and start pumping, you can regulate the temp either through the thermostats in the fridge or by restricting the flow to cool the water or increase flow to raise the temp a tad

Works great and a bloody good excuse to keep the coldies in the Fishroom as you relax and watch the team, don't tell the missus.

#10 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Seen a few guys place external canisters partially submersed in an esky with ice slurry - moniter the temp carefully to avoid to much fluctuation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users