Overflow Outlets For Plummed Tank Rack

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi All

I have just plummed my 10ft tank rack and I was wondering if there is anything on the market that would fit on my overflows to stop fish and fry getting sucked down the over flows? someone told me about a stainless steel screen or a cage you could get from bunnings but I couldnt find any? I was thinking to make something up but I'd much rather buy something that would just clip or screw on and do the job.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Heres a pic of the outlets I have x5 that are 40mm threads and x1 45mm

#2 rx007

rx007
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

How about flyscreen? Maby the caps from the top of undergravel filter towers. Tell me how you go as I'm doing a similar job on my tank rack & was considering the two above options..
Gaz

#3 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi Den...I just use flyscreen for mine.

Andrea smile.gif

#4 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Flyscreen, I have some but I cant make it look neat? do you just cut a square and just tie it around the outlet? Im worried that it will clog up quickly and need alot of maintenance?

I was thinking of a sponge that could just slip over the outlet, then I could just slide them off and clean them easily?

Thanks
Den smile.gif

#5 AfricaFan

AfricaFan
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

Den,
Aquotix sell a screw-on seive thing (dont know its proper name). I use it on mine and it stops fish swimming in.

Cheers,
B

#6 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

you can get these from aquotix
also stainless steel strainers with finer holes, better for fry. they will get clogged easily however.

#7 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:36 PM

what about bio filter sponge, cut a 40mm hole, slip it over like a sock.

#8 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Mattt, yes looks like a good combo with that outlet and in the fry tanks I can slip a sponge over them.

I like the idea of a big sponge because I need something that can last a few weeks without clogging up because when I travel I cant rely on caretaker to perform any maintenance.

My uncle owns a clarke rubber store so I have asked him if he can get me some aquarium sponge.

Still looking for other ideas, thanks everyone so far.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#9 Tropo

Tropo
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Hi Den
I use the bio sponge blocks you would find on pond pumps, I buy them from my lfs for $6ea. They dont have the precut hole but all I do is cut a cross through it and slip it over and after a month or so the hole keeps it's shape. I have left these in use on my angel fry tanks which runs on a system for up to 2 weeks without them clogging and I havn't lost any fry through the drain. My lfs is Avid Aquaria on Railway ave Kelmscott.
Cheers Guy

#10 jason84

jason84
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Like matt had showed I used this on my overflow box to my sump so the fish wont get sucked down as well.
I used the hanson one, you can get it from watershed etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users