Using Zucchini For Aquarium Food

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:48 PM

I run out of algae wafers and decided to finally give veggies a shot. I don't like the look of a fork or office clip to hold the bits of veggie down, so I googled aquarium vegetable holder. I found a pack of 5 pleco screws for about $20 online, so purchased that. It arrived in the mail on Friday, so today I decided to give one a shot. Don't really need 5, so if anyone wants one send me a PM and I'll give you one at the next PCS meeting. First thing I did is put the pleco screw in a cup of boiling water for an hour. I then rinsed it off with fresh water.

Pleco screw:

D665_D906-_DD73-4_AF1-9_DE3-0_BCBC95_F91

Ducked up to my local IGA and got a HUGE green zucchini for 99 cents. Bargain!

27_A9_E9_F0-_EF84-4_D7_B-_BDAF-94_FCC4_F

Given that it's not organic, its probably covered in pesticides. That's something you wouldn't want in a fish tank. Therefore I gave the zucchini as wash and peeled it:

9_E9597_A8-1_D79-4_CEA-9_E56-31078_C4_D7

I then measured the length of spiral thread on the pleco screw and its 60mm. Therefore I cut the zucchini into 4 quarters at approximately 60mm a piece:

44_D16066-_BE61-4_B33-8999-_DF41_D54301_

I then cut those bits in half again so they'de be about the size I want to put in my fish tank:

2_A10_DE1_C-_FAEB-40_B0-_BF8_A-_B164_BF1

After watching some videos on youtube, a couple of videos mentioned that it's a good idea to cut the seeds out as they can foul the water:

F9_FFF180-_E50_A-4_C41-9498-14_CE3_A99_C

I then put a piece on the pleco screw like so:

9_C1_D1_D8_C-9_A8_F-4061-_BCBA-6244_B1_A

I'd like to blame my astigmatism for the crooked angle the screw was inserted, but to be honest I'm challenged when it comes to anything hands-on. Typical office worker.

I bagged the rest of the zucchini pieces in a snap lock bag, as I will only need to put a bit in maybe once or twice a week:

965_B7895-3772-4_C67-86_E1-_C059_A0_B0_B

And about 5 minutes after the lights went out, I put the bit of zucchini in the tank:

FD68_E89_C-_F334-428_F-8113-_E4_CD52915_

I walked away then came back to the tank 10 minutes later to have a look. There were a couple of bristlenose catfish munching on it like their life depended on it. From one zucchini costing me a dollar I have 16 feeds for my catfish. Pretty happy with that, and hopefully the catfish like the zucchini. I also got 3 different packets of zucchini seeds from Bunnings, as I'll have a crack at growing them in my veggie garden. At least then I'll know no chemicals are in the veggies. 

Thanks for reading, and hopefully the images work. It's my first time using postimg.org since photobucket decided to not play nice. Thanks for the recommendation malawiman. And thanks to bigjohnofish for recommending I use veggies instead of algae wafers, and to stormfyre for mentioning that zucchini is the way to go. Apparently cucumber has little to no nutritional value for catfish.

Hope this works, as I hate how much algae wafers cloud the aquarium water. 

#2 whatfor

whatfor
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:01 AM

I grow my own and the fish love it, they also like the skin, if your removing the seeds remember they love the soft flesh around the seeds more than the tougher flesh .

Mine also love microwaved pumpkin

#3 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:28 AM

Great write-up! I was wondering what the screw attaches to?

#4 Muttley

Muttley
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

I started with a store bought zucchini from Woolworths which I washed and than blanched before putting into the tank (I let it cool after the blanche). It was maybe on sale in the Woolworths Specials catalogue.
 The BN's loved it and ate the flesh but didn't touch the skin at all. Then I bought an organic zucchini from Malibu Fresh down near me which I put through the same treatment before going into the tank. The BN's behaved very differently with the organic version though. This time they ate the skin first, and with a real need to munch on it real quick. Every bit of skin except the bit's they couldn't get to through the vege clip was gone really quickly. Then they started on the flesh. Really makes you wonder about what the non organic skin has absorbed in the way or pesticides etc.

#5 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

Maybe they wax them or something?

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:35 PM

That’s interesting to know but not surprising. Animals are smart when it comes to chemicals and artificial stuff. Take the butter vs margarine example with ants. Anyway, this morning about 95% of the zucchini was gone. Happy with that.

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

My fish all go gangbusters for zucchini now. Within a day they eat a whole piece
C19_D9_A2_D-8_E83-4_BD9-9_B6_D-1_CB11_FA
And Im growing some zucchini in the garden now:
83824_CE5-_EB88-4_C92-910_C-0_EDB28438_C

#8 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:32 AM

Garden to fish tank - nice!

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Not yet, but thats the plan. Still using the bits I chopped and froze from the start of this thread

Edited by Westie, 01 March 2018 - 10:04 AM.

#10 jakefoster

jakefoster
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

they also love cucumber, and pumpkin! i cut pieces of pumpkin (without skin) and put them in a mug with some water, microwave for about 3mins so its nice and soft them dump it in the tank. once cooked it sinks so no need for a weight. and without the skin they will devour the lot so no need to stick ur arm in the tank. be aware too much will cloud a smaller tank tho, this happens when i feed it in my shrimp tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 Foti

Foti
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

If you tie some fishing wire to the screw you can remove it very easy always remove excess because tit to will cloud the water
Also if you blanch the zucchini ie boil for short time will allow it to sink without the screw or fork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users