Photo

Prime An Eheim 2228

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Hi - My Pro 3 - 2228 manual isn't the same as the real thing ???  but maybe operates the same way - Does anyone know how to prime it or any cannister for that matter...................  thanks mal..............

Edited by malbone, 23 January 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#2 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

Most canister filters I've used you can prime by sucking on the outlet pipe. Assuming your canister filter is lower than the tank it should start drawing water from the tank and then gravity will take over for you. Once it starts you'll feel air getting pushed out, when it seems to have stopped it should be good to turn on. 

#3 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

that's what i've been doing but it will only flow with the outlet pipe just above on the ground - as soon as I raise it it starts slowing down - this is the bottom tank in a 2 tier - when I get to the top of the bottom tank it's well and truly stopped - like the pump is dying - anyone confirm - thanks Mal

Edited by malbone, 23 January 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#4 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

have a look for an air leak, clogged pipes/kinks, the valves are opening fully and if the impellor has build up. without seeing directly if all seem ok u might be up for a new pump

#5 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

2228 is pro 1 if I recall correctly

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:37 AM

Can you blow air through the hose or suck water through? If you can then at least you know you have some flow. Q
To prime my nasty, tricksy little eheim I Hold the outlet high and with a funnel pour water into it until the water in the outlet hose sits at the same level as the tank water. Hold the outlet where it is (but pointing into the tank) fire up the filter.

Edited by malawiman85, 24 January 2014 - 05:42 AM.

#7 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

I prime a 2228 by making sure everything is empty first- no water in hoses or canister. Then simply remove spray bar, open all taps & give it a suck until water flowing freely down inlet hose into canister. At this time i turn off one of the taps, reconnect spray bar & position it just under the water surface. I Then reopen tap & flow will resume.
When air bubbles stop coming out of spray bar the canister should be full, so turn on the pump( not before full). If this does not start flow there may be a small airlock, tilt canister until flow starts & slowly lift back to upright as air expelled.

#8 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

No need to prime, just fill up canister (full) then put head on, the excess overflows out. Switch on and away it goes (to easy). If it's a new set up the intake will also need filling prior to putting in tank.

#9 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I've tried everything and the best I can get is with the outlet at floor level the flow rate is about half - if I lift the outlet water stops at about 15cm off the ground yes it is a pro 1 it's the 3 years warr - but it doesn't look like the picture on the box which has - on - off - levers - mine only has one lever for both - now no media have given a good clean..........thanks for all the in put ......................cheers mal

#10 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

I suspect your impeller is stuffed. Usually it will be the centre sleeve coming away from the magnet. Take it off the shaft & see if it pulls apart. If so some superglue can fix.

#11 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Yes Paul could be right, If the impeller turns right around while holding the magnet part then it is broken. The impeller should only turn about a quarter of a turn before it engages with the magnetic shaft. As stated some super glue will do the trick just make sure it's central other wise it may wobble slightly causing noise. The best bet might be to get a new impeller, but see if it works first. good luck steve 

#12 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

the impeller looks ok but that doesn't mean it is?????????

#13 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Only 3 reasons you wont get pressure, impeller, blocked hoses or airlock/leaks. Got to be one of the above. Feel free to bring it in & i will have a look for you, make sure you bring hoses & all or i can't test it. No charge unless parts needed.

#14 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

There you go Malbone, can't knock a proposition like that. Paul that reminds me of a nice girl i met once that said something similar, no charge unless services required.

#15 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

Now that's an offer I can't refuse - be in sometime over the next couple of weeks on w/end - cheers Mal

#16 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Well this is embarrassing - it is a Pro 3 - 2075 - but have 2 x 2228 - I've tried again this morning but now I give up and will head to Morley.............mal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users