Black Pearl Calvus Going White?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Got a video and some pics of my black pearl calvus. I got 4 from one shop not too long ago (a week or 2 back) and then bought 1 more 3 days ago. One of the calvus has gone white, while the other 4 are nice and dark black coloured. Is there a reason for this? I was thinking maybe a dominance thing? The calvus that has gone a pale white colour. It looks happy enough. Eats well and cruises around the tank.

Video (can be watched in 1080p resolution):

Pics of fish-
White calvus

Black calvus

Thanks for looking, and look forward to reading what you think it is
Jason
smile.gif

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hi mate how are ya. I personally wouldn't be to worried calvus can change depending on there mood I have found but I'm sure more experienced people have a more detailed reason.
Nice fish good luck with them. Cheers

#3 MadDocker

MadDocker
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

I have 2, pretty sure we got them from the same shop. 1 is definitely darker then the other which looks a similar colour to yours so I'm guess it's a dominance thing. I'll try post some pics tomorrow.

Edited by MadDocker, 23 February 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Bowdy @ Feb 23 2012, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi mate how are ya. I personally wouldn't be to worried calvus can change depending on there mood I have found but I'm sure more experienced people have a more detailed reason.
Nice fish good luck with them. Cheers

I'm good thanks bro. Yeah not too worried, just wanted to show off my sexy fish! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (MadDocker @ Feb 23 2012, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 2, pretty sure we got them from the same shop. 1 is definitely darker then the other which looks a similar colour to yours so I'm guess it's a dominance thing. I'll try post some pics tomorrow.

That would be sweet man! I'm really looking forward to seeing them grow up, as calvus look sweet when they're bigger.

I don't know jack about tangs, and was just concerned he might be unwell. I just dont want to lose any fish, as they take ages to grow, and I can't ever find any nice big tangs for sale.

#5 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Yea could be a dominance issue, could also be a locational variance. I actually prefer this type of colouring in the calvus, so if you don't want him i'll take him laugh.gif. Calvus vary in colouration from completly black to stripped ( my preference) through to the whitish . As with all fish, different collection points can have slightly different colouring. My original breeding calvus were black but i've now changed over to the stripped. cheers Steve.

#6 MadDocker

MadDocker
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:45 AM

Here's some dodgy photos but you get the idea.

They are going to be moved into a new tank soon.

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

ok thanks for that. i'm guessing that the one that has gone pale white is the last one i bought. i picked it up from a different sponsor to the first 4 that i bought from another sponsor store. when i put it in though, it looked exactly the same as the other 4. Who knows? Cheers guys

#8 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Some times they take a while to settle in and work up the confidence so to speak. I had gold comps that go real dark just after the lights go on. Young fish also dont display full color until they find their place. Just some of my experience smile.gif

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yep it must have been a settling down thing. All 5 calvus are a nice black colour now. YAY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users