Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Updated: Aquascape Discussion (Aquascape No. 3, Pg 2)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 TimPerthWA

TimPerthWA
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:35 AM

I used to think of Dutch aquariums as the ultimate example of a well planted tank however since viewing Amano's designs I prefer the nature Aquarium.

Whilst there is a tremendous amount of skill in achieving the Dutch look I don't find that the tank looks restful, rather it looks pretty.

I think each tank has it purposes but I also think a tank should suit its animal inhabitants as well. To my eye a nature aquarium is better however I also feel a nature aquarium should not focus too much on achieving a "Zen" look at the expense of losing its roots as an example of nature in miniature.

rgds, tim

#22 Meghan

Meghan
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

I much prefer the "nature" style as well, the Dutch is nice but it feels to rigid and formal to me (which is interesting, because I rather like formal gardens above water! smile.gif ) I suppose it's because I think of a tank as a little box in which you try to imitate nature. Though I haven't really achieved that, but still...

I'd like to try out some aquascaping in one of my tanks, and I really like the "carpeted" look that the pros achieve with things like dwarf hairgrass.

Does anyone know how to encourage the plant to grow in this way? I was thinking of having a lot of light and planting several clumps of the plant all over the tank floor to try to encourage it to grow... will that work? And would I need fertiliser? I have many, many bristlenoses in the tank I'm thinking of trying this out in, so I don't think algae blooms would be a problem (or would they?).

I also heard somewhere that natural gravel is far better than painted gravel for growing plants in, which I guess makes sense. I have white painted (I think..? Some of it might just be white quartz) gravel in the tank I was going to try first, but there are also baby bristlenoses in there so would replacing the substrate entirely be a bad idea? Or could I just put a layer of fine, natural substrate over the top of the white stuff? The other problem with the white gravel is that it's chunky, so I guess it wouldn't provide much of an anchor point for the plants.

Sorry if this is off-topic. :/

#23 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (Meghan @ Jun 16 2008, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry if this is off-topic. :/

maybe not off topic but very old topic the last post was Aug 21 2005

#24 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

A good topic never has a "used by date"... wink.gif

#25 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

Yes, a good topic never goes out of date.

In reply to your questions Meghan, the main requirment of the "carpeted" effect is high light and plant selection. As an example of the effect of extra light, my spiral val that grows leaves up to 2ft long in my tank will form a carpet with 4-5 cm long leaves if grow outside in full sun. It also changes color to a reddish hue.

As far as the substrate is concerned, you can basically divide them into two groups, inert and enriched.
Colored gravel and various quarts based washed gravels and sands are all essentially inert and will grow plants the same (depending on diameter of the gravel). They provide no nutrition for the plants, but act as more than an anchor as they provide surfaces for bacteria to attach to and break down the mulm that develops over time. I doubt the color matters rolleyes.gif
Enriched substrates have nutrients for the plants to use, one of the simplest would be laterite or other clays that provide some iron and other micronutrients, but not any macronutrients. There are literally thousands of variations and combinations.

Cheers
Brett

ps there is no reason that your colored gravel couldn't provide the basis for an enriched substrate with other nutrients being added. It is only a question of aesthetics.

#26 Klaus

Klaus
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

I agree about a good topic never going out of date, I'm only new to Aquariums but this was the first topic I viewed as I am interested in having a lot of green in my tank.

The tank at the beginning of this thread is a work of art and the sort of thing I aspire to create one day.

Here is another tank that I thought was inspirational. I like how the path of gravel leads from front right area into darkness.
Attached File  danfull.jpg   38.6KB   143 downloads

Its a shame the picture isn't larger. (It is from http://www.practical...article_id=703)

I wanted to ask what a suitable plant, available in Perth, would be to achieve that lawn sort of effect?

I have a 10000K 13W T5 in a 70L tank. Is that going to be enough light?

Cheers and I hope the picture works as this is my first post and am not sure how to use the interface yet.

#27 Brett

Brett
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

I have a 10000K 13W T5 in a 70L tank. Is that going to be enough light?

The short answer is no. As a ball park figure, medium - high light of 2-3 W/gallon is required to get that "carpeted" effect. Your current set-up has about 1W/gallon.
Other factors are important though, depth of water, quality of reflector, globes, external light, etc. Smaller tanks in particular seem to grow plants better than the W/gallon calculation would predict.

Pygmy chain swords are probably the most forgiving of the carpetting plants in lower light tanks.
Why not give it a try smile.gif

Cheers
Brett

#28 Klaus

Klaus
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

I will, thanks for the advice smile.gif

#29 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

My latest effort.Attached File  2012_08_14_11.54.15_1.jpg   60.92KB   81 downloads

#30 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

nice wood. is that the gold vine stuff?

#31 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (Jason82 @ Aug 16 2012, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice wood. is that the gold vine stuff?

yeah, it sure is! Takes a while to become nuetrally buoyant but once it does it is a beautiful wood to base a scape around. Such a character haha.

Edited by Ciaran Early, 17 August 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#32 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

I agree it's very nice to aquascape with. I like the tanks which have this wood with the moss on top of it to make it look like an underwater tree

#33 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Very interesting look, outside of the box thinking I think was involved in that creative breakthrough.

#34 Jamie & Jaye

Jamie & Jaye
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

Attached File  DSCN2350_reduced.jpg   126.67KB   39 downloadsAttached File  DSCN2385_reduced.jpg   103.58KB   41 downloads

This is our new 208 gallon community tank, South American Dwarfs and friends at the moment and one Black Ghost knife (about 6" long!) I took the inspiration for the tank layout from Mr Amano too. I really loved the way he scapes'. Hope you like it. (it's only been going for a few weeks so still in it's very early stages)

#35 Flash Pleco

Flash Pleco
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Great topic!

This was the tank ex and I had about 5 years ago.

Have just got the big tank back and need to get it back to something like this again, although I've just been inspired to go one step further! I watched the video Furnix linked to and have just spent a couple of hours watching youtube vids of stunning aquascapes!
This short youtube clip has some of the most gorgeous 'scenery' aquascapes - like bonsai landscapes in a tank! Such skill!

I love the ones at 0.20, 0.31, 0.39, 0.55, 1.02 and so many others!
Check out the one at 0.39! It would look like a painting...until a fish moved!

Will take a photo of my tank as it is now (a bit average), and keep you all updated on its transformation. smile.gif

#36 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

The tang tank

#37 True_Rys

True_Rys
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Flash Pleco @ Sep 7 2012, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This short youtube clip has some of the most gorgeous 'scenery' aquascapes - like bonsai landscapes in a tank! Such skill!

I love the ones at 0.20, 0.31, 0.39, 0.55, 1.02 and so many others!
Check out the one at 0.39! It would look like a painting...until a fish moved!

Will take a photo of my tank as it is now (a bit average), and keep you all updated on its transformation. smile.gif

Loved the video, the scape at 0:42 is a lot like what I've got rattling around in my head as what I want my next project to be. Still open but plenty of depth and cover for the species of fish that need / enjoy it.

good luck on your tank transformation. For me that's the best part apart from the fish. That slow steady march towards the desired goal!

#38 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Love all these. My tank is nothing like this but the fish don't seem to mind. I would prefer my plants to grow a little better and the fish to stop eating them.

#39 jeffblack

jeffblack
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=48372

Mine one day if I can ever talk him in to selling it =)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users