A little while ago I decided that I was going to downgrade from my 6x2x2 loungeroom display to a 4x2x2 display in my bedroom.
Guess who now has a fireglass front 6x2x2 in their bedroom
The tank I bought is an ex marine tank, with two holes drilled in the right side, fireglass front. This was perfect for what I wanted to do with this Bedroom Display as I planned to go with a sump, and the front glass was pristine. Happy days!
First things first: Picked up the tank, got it home and into the house. Being an ex marine tank it had a lot of coralline algae and calcium buildup. Vinegar, razor blades and a glass scraper was a great help getting rid of that problem.
Once the tank was all cleaned up we now had the problem of getting it down the hallway into the bedroom... it didnt fit Tank was carried through the bedroom window instead.
Basic plumbing came next - Since Im going with a sump I set the plumbing up as follows, elbows adjustable for the water level:
Since Im going to use a 3D background for this tank Ive tried to keep the plumbing minimal. Ive placed it where its going to be out of the way and covered by plants. As you can see the background has been siliconed in. Quite messily, will clean up the glass and connections soon.
A stand was not something that came with the tank, so, were building our own out of 90x45 timber.
We started by making a base for the stand, then attaching the 4 corner legs. Then the middle legs, the top, supports and so on until we had a sturdy (heavy) stand.
Some progress pics:
Corner legs on, about to attach middle front legs
All legs on, supports added, nearly there
Now a pretty finished stand with ply base and top Unfortunately, as you can see in the photo, my Co2 cylinder wont fit in the cabinet. Next up is painting it and cladding with MDF, painted white. Instead of having doors like most cabinets, the panels will be attached with magnets for easier access in such a small space.
The above cabinet is how I intend my own to look
Next up was getting the background ready
Holes have been drilled in the background to fit the poly piping through which will also help to hold the background in place.
Background was then siliconed in, weighed down with a heavy book in one corner which didnt want to cooperate
This tank, of course, will be a native tank. All of my natives from my other 6x2x2 will be going into this tank, as well as some of the decor (driftwood and rocks)
Id like to plant this tank up, if the fish allow. Ive done this before and failed however I intend to change this with a proper substrate, lighting and fertiliser schedules and my pressurised Co2 setup.
Thats about all for the beginning of this journal. Now to clad the stand, finish the plumbing and sump and we can start to get wet
Edited by Leichardti, 19 April 2018 - 06:42 PM.