Photo

breeding size of blue peacocks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tim289

tim289
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

i wanted to know wat size blue peacocks breed at ?

#2 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

Well, i doubt a 'blue peacock' is a pure species to begin with. Generally should be doing it at around 6-8cm, maybe up to 10cm. It will also depend on tank makes, water parameters, quality of food etc. A fish wont breed if its stressed by tankmakes or bad water quality, and wont produce eggs if it isnt getting the right nutrients.

When they start getting to breeding size, the male will at least be half or so coloured up and will start showing off to females. If you just started seeing this and have had them from juvies, you may have to wait a few months to get to actual breeding size (could be less than a month though). You will know when the females are about to breed when you see a protruded omnipositor (sp?) between the anal and pelvic fins.

Also, read this: http://www.cichlid-f...eeding_list.php

#3 Maz

Maz
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:07 AM

hmmm....another trade name Peacock, brilliant!!.
Any idea of the real type of Aulonocara you have? Genus(Aulonocara) species(baenschi) & location(Maleri) is the correct way to identify the fish....otherwise you can not be sure of what you are actually breeding, passing on the problem to the hobby when they do breed.

I have had peacocks start at 4cm or there abouts...suprised the hell outta me but that is the size they were when the Ngara Flametails got their first gob-full.

#4 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:42 PM

Maz, did you realise and Aulonocara baenschi "Maleri" would be a hybrid, lol. The 3 yellow peacocks are:
Aulonocara baenschi (curved head)
Aulonocara "stuartgranti chipoka"
Aulonocara "stuartgranti maleri"
(few different classifications of the chipoka/maleri, but thats close enough for now).
Chipokas are more orange, and develop a slightly 'lumped' head as they grow older. Blue on the face is near top of eyes or full head. Maleris are more yellow (especially linebred ones), the blue come up to just below the eye or midway, and 'just' above the lips. Baenschis blue goes under the jaw to the eye, but not quite on the nose/snout area (only lips and below).

I actually did a fair amount of research to find out how to distinguish the 3 yellow peacocks. Of course, its pretty much moot in Australia, because we wont get a 100% true peacock of any of those 3 sad.gif (unless you directly import them, or get them from a very reputable seller).

Btw, trade name peacock = peacock that is hybridised. Please dont ever sell the fry to anyone by using a name other than "blue peacock". No harm if they never leave your tank though. Hybridised peacocks just pollute the pure gene pools if care is not taken (just so you know).

Maz, thats some damn small size to start breeding, but I suppose kids are doing it younger and younger these days 8O, hehe.

#5 Maz

Maz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

(hlokk)
Maz, did you realise and Aulonocara baenschi "Maleri" would be a hybrid, lol. The 3 yellow peacocks are:
Aulonocara baenschi (curved head)
Aulonocara "stuartgranti chipoka"
Aulonocara "stuartgranti maleri"
(few different classifications of the chipoka/maleri, but thats close enough for now).
...there is only one baenschi the Maleri Gold. There are other Peacocks in Maleri and there abouts but the only baenschi is the Maleri Gold.

#6 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:49 PM

(Maz)
...there is only one baenschi the Maleri Gold. There are other Peacocks in Maleri and there abouts but the only baenschi is the Maleri Gold.

A baenschi isnt a maleri gold.

Map of lake malawi and peacocks:

The baenschi is located roughly around benga on that map, the maleri and chipoka further south.

Also:
http://malawicichlids.com/mw08006b.htm
http://malawicichlids.com/mw08003b.htm
(quoted by Konings)

Though it does list 1995 as the year, so maybe it has been reclassified as a baenschi? Though it also says see 2001a. I dont have the book so I cant check it though.

Though the taxonomy seems to be changing all the time. The last thing i was reading was about enantopious going to xenotilapia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users