New Kind Of Tropheus, Bemba Sunset

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 demasoni1

demasoni1
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

Hello,

I had a very interesting situation with my Tropheus Bemba.  One of my female bemba fries white babies. At first i thought it is nothing, and i thought the yellow one will turn to black when it grows. But it didn't.. It became yellow. And by the time, the female bemba which is giving me that yellow baby, continued to fry these fish. In 2 years their number reached to 18. The number is very low. Because the mother giving me these gifts only 2 or 3 every time. The other puppies came out normal bemba. After two years i decided to have a big research about them.(I know this is late. icon_razz.gif ) And i figured out they have a mutation. There are three mutations which can cause this situation. Their names Xanthism Amelanism and Hypomelanism. I couldn't be sure about which one explains what is going on but Xanthism is more logical to me.. 

After all, i suppose that they are new kind of tropheus just like the albino ones. And i want to start a new line. I putted the yellows and the normal bembas(which are carries for the yellow gene.) to my 150 gal. tank. Now i have 18 yellow, 20 normal carrier bemba and their mother and father in that aquarium. Btw, i got my first fries from yellows. The number is cool, 13. icon_biggrin.gif
And i named the yellows SUNSET Bemba !
I dont want you get bored with what i wrote so i don't want make it longer. 
And i know my english is not super. icon_sad.gif

Here it is, new kind of Tropheus: Tropheus Bemba Sunset.

fwvj.jpg

iwuk.jpgmsqg.jpgtclv.jpg

9kxn.jpgwe70.jpg9zjg.jpg

http://www.youtube.c...LJ0YY0GEhbZR0kg

http://www.youtube.c...LJ0YY0GEhbZR0kg

#2 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Very interesting, and great yellow.
Some pics showed a few pink red looking ones,, are they the fry to.

Have you googled red bishop or red Phoenix ...?????
These supposedly have come from Bemba.
This is what you may have.

#3 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

very nice and good work with your breeding program :)

#4 Gibberosaman

Gibberosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

you seem to have a mix of T's in there, Bemba and Bulus? Have they cross bred?

#5 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

Like lecky yellows, but meaner!

#6 demasoni1

demasoni1
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Very interesting, and great yellow.
Some pics showed a few pink red looking ones,, are they the fry to.

Have you googled red bishop or red Phoenix ...?????
These supposedly have come from Bemba.
This is what you may have.

Thanks,

Yes they look a little red when i took the photo with flash. I know about red phonex. And for a while i have thought they were caramba red bishop. But they are actually different. Example, sunsets doesn't have whiteness on head, but phonex have it. Probably red bishop's mutation happened on bemba too as you said. 

very nice and good work with your breeding program :)

Thanks, i hope it works. :)

you seem to have a mix of T's in there, Bemba and Bulus? Have they cross bred?

Thanks, actually i was suspecting that male one is a bulu. But female is a bemba. I bought them 4 years ago from a local petshop as bemba while they were 1". When they grew up, i railesed that the male one is bulu. The thing i was wondering is this hybridization could be the reason of this mutation? I mean, this is not normal mating so maybe we shouldn't expect normal babies from them. Actually i made a big research about it but i couldn't find anything which supports my idea.:(

Like lecky yellows, but meaner!

Thanks,

#7 Gibberosaman

Gibberosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have seen T Ikola and T Chaitika cross breed by a store that produced a green T.

IMO i like the natural variants, but it is interesting what this particular bemba and bulu have created.

#8 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

let nature take its course as it has with all the other tropheus variants over time.

this is in a teapot but still natures course.

Edited by knock, 14 July 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#9 demasoni1

demasoni1
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, 

The thing i want to make clear is, i didn't do it on purpose. At first i thought male wasn't pure but still a bemba. Because i bought them as bemba. If I knew he was bulu, i would take him out of the tank.

Agree about letting the nature how it is but i suppose i should let bygones be bygones. And going on with this. Dont know am i wrong or not? :S

Edited by demasoni1, 14 July 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#10 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Who cares about trying to leave things natural.
Personally I have a open mind, and I reckon you should line breed these yellows and see if the yellow is fixed in fry numbers.
If you can produce fry that can grow on and produce yellow again,,, then well done and I like the name you've given them.
Call Germany suppliers and offer to them at a high price.

#11 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

+1

#12 demasoni1

demasoni1
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the comments,

Let me show you the first fries of yellows. Female is a sunset and the male is father of all sunsets. And so, the father is not yellow. That's why there are 7 sunsets from 13. Other 6 are black. Also you can see the difference between white and black babies. I think whites will turn to yellow slowly. Because the other yellows were white too, when they borned.

ihmt.jpg

kqt2.jpg

yvil.jpg

8vge.jpg

#13 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

Extremely interesting.
Have you tried breeding the mature offspring together,,,, both male and female yellow. ????

#14 demasoni1

demasoni1
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Yes i tried it but i don't have any adult male yellow. All adults are female. So it didn't work. :(

#15 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

Interesting. Have you removed the pulu point or are you still using him to produce these sunsets. So are you calling them a tropheus sunset as there a hybrid of pulu and Bemba and not a pure Bemba. Right ?? Will you be culling the non yellow fry or what would they be called ? I'm not sure if this is now in breach of the hybrid rule also. It is a very interesting post though.
They look very nice.

#16 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

The ones that turn out dark looking like Bemba or bulu, can still be used to breed with the yellows if a male yellow isn't present.
But the dark ones should not be released out to shops or aquarists.
The yellows how ever, are easily distinguishable,,,, so obviously they won't get confused with and bred into the purity of other blood lines.
If this yellow gene doesn't just lie in the female traits, and a yellow male is obtained,,, then on after the dark ones should be culled at birth.
If no yellow males are obtained,,, just 3 dark males should be kept for breeding yellow fry purpose only,,, and the rest of dark ones produced after that to be culled.
Also obvious, is that if the traits only lie in the females,,,, then any aquarists that obtain the yellows are very less likely to be able to
re-breed them,,, leaving the original breeder in complete control.

#17 Gibberosaman

Gibberosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but just because the black babies are black does not mean they dont carry on the yellow gene.

#18 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yes your correct, that's why I said if no yellow males can be obtained is to save two or three black males to continue yellow production.
But cull all black troph after that.

#19 demasoni1

demasoni1
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Interesting. Have you removed the pulu point or are you still using him to produce these sunsets. So are you calling them a tropheus sunset as there a hybrid of pulu and Bemba and not a pure Bemba. Right ?? Will you be culling the non yellow fry or what would they be called ? I'm not sure if this is now in breach of the hybrid rule also. It is a very interesting post though.
They look very nice.

Thanks, i didn't remove him. He is with the all sunsets and the normals (carriers for the sunset gene). It is a family aquarium i think. :) At least i didnt know the father is bulu. I just thought he is a unpure bemba. And so i called them sunset bemba before i figured out . Actually i didn't think about how to name the non yellow fry. I just call them as sunset gene carriers. I am not sure if this is breach of the hybrid rule, either. Because they are not different species. They are just different varieties of same species.(Tropheus sp.black.)

The ones that turn out dark looking like Bemba or bulu, can still be used to breed with the yellows if a male yellow isn't present.
But the dark ones should not be released out to shops or aquarists.
The yellows how ever, are easily distinguishable,,,, so obviously they won't get confused with and bred into the purity of other blood lines.
If this yellow gene doesn't just lie in the female traits, and a yellow male is obtained,,, then on after the dark ones should be culled at birth.
If no yellow males are obtained,,, just 3 dark males should be kept for breeding yellow fry purpose only,,, and the rest of dark ones produced after that to be culled.
Also obvious, is that if the traits only lie in the females,,,, then any aquarists that obtain the yellows are very less likely to be able to
re-breed them,,, leaving the original breeder in complete control.

Thanks, you are right about the dark ones. A friend who i gave normal looking babies, got yellows from that darks. After i saw that i started not to sell the babies that brothers and sisters of sunsets. And i can't be sure about if the traits lie in the females or not. I have a male sunset that smaller than the biggest female yellows. Thats why they don't breed among themselves. :( Females ignore the small male. 

Now 25 dark babies are growing and i will use them to get more sunsets. And two friends are still trying to get yellows from the darks that i mentioned, too.

#20 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Why not give the sunset male a chance and remove the other males in the group. See what comes of it. I agree the non yellow fry shouldn't be sold really. It's to easy to mud up the Bemba lines with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users