Photo

Some Of My Fish - 56k Warning

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

These are some of my current fish, some of the angles are a bit weird, sorry smile.gif
I hope you enjoy them. With a bit of luck and patience I'll get some photos of the others that I couldn't get this time around.

1. Pseudotropheus acei "Msuli Point"

2. Placidochromis milomo VC-10

3. Synodontis multipunctatus

4. Megalechis thoracatum " "Spotted Hoplo"

5. Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba" kids

6. Cyrtocara moorii - Blue Dolphin

7. Chilotilapia rhodesii kids

8. Placidochromis phenochilus "Tanzania" & Chilotilapia rhodesii dominant male

9. Nimbochromis venustus breeding female

10. venustus fry

11. Labidochromis caeruleus "Electric Yellow" kids

12. Labidochromis caeruleus "Electric Yellow" more kids and juvies

13. Neolamprologus multifasciatus

#2 Damo & Michelle

Damo & Michelle
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:45 PM

Awesome shots mate.... Well done!!!!

#3 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

i have a cannon slr and i still cant work out how to take good shots of my fish tank, always getting either not enough light, or to much light or its blurry. Any tips as your photos are pristine!

Also the tanks with the kids is that like 5-6 tanks that all cascade into each other? Any chance for a full tank shot of the cascading tank's? Also where did you get it from or did you make it?

Cheers
Brad

#4 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:30 PM

Some basic tips: light the room as much as you can. A fast shutter speed will mean less blurry photos due to fish movement. A remote flash unit placed on top of the tank with a diffuser will light up the tank without creating shadows behind the fish.

I haven't taken all those photos in the same way, but usually I have one flash unit on top of the tank, one flash unit on a tripod to the side and my camera's flash as the commander.
Fish need to be close to the glass for the sharpest shots, if they are too far back the water will make the photos a bit milky, unless it is absolutely crystal clear.

Shutter speed should be the fastest your camera can handle with a flash attached. A good, fast lens will make things a lot easier. Most of these I have taken with my Nikon 24-70 f2.8, which I am loving right now. I did some family portraits and they turned out absolutely mint.

The tank setup is basically a 4ft tank split into 4 sections, with mesh at the top so the water can flow from one end to the other.

#5 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

Nice mate, the little shellies look cool.

#6 (abc)Jarrad

(abc)Jarrad
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

exelent photo's tim and beautiful fish biggrin.gif

#7 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

You have a great setup for your fry/juvies. Looks really neat and clean.

#8 richardc4873

richardc4873
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

Excellent photos! Always great to see good looking fish. The Penochilus is very nice.

#9 Robbotheyobbo

Robbotheyobbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Awesome pics Tim and stunning fish mate welldone.gif

#10 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

great photo's timothy.

lovin the Moorii photo.

phil

#11 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Nov 21 2010, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The tank setup is basically a 4ft tank split into 4 sections, with mesh at the top so the water can flow from one end to the other.

Do you get problems with flow in the lower part of the tank and the water just flowing across the top? Ive always wondered about this, wouldn't it have been better to put the mesh at the bottom?

#12 spite333

spite333
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:08 PM

Love the multi's mate nice pics

#13 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the comments guys smile.gif

QUOTE (cichlid4lyf @ Nov 21 2010, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great photo's timothy.
phil

Cheers Phil, it's actually just Tim, even in my passport biggrin.gif

QUOTE (swimfishswim @ Nov 21 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you get problems with flow in the lower part of the tank and the water just flowing across the top? Ive always wondered about this, wouldn't it have been better to put the mesh at the bottom?

The tanks were like that when I bought them, it isn't my design. Yes I agree that the mesh at the bottom would be better, not just for flow but also to drain the tank. Right now I have to drain each chamber separately. Flow isn't a problem - the gap is actually quite large and there are enough fish in each chamber to move the water around.
The only positive would be that you could make each chamber a separate tank by simply lowering the water level and putting a sponge in each. Could be a quick conversion for example to make a quarantine setup. But yes for what I am using it the mesh at the bottom would be better.

#14 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

hey cowdor

awsome photos!

just a quick question do your breed within a community tank? or do you have individual tanks for breeding...obviously you do for the fry but im just kinda curious to be honest

thanks mate

brett

#15 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Brett smile.gif
Most of my tanks are species tanks or incompatible mixes (catfish & Malawi for example). My main 8x3 display tank has three species breeding within: BN, N. venustus and C. rhoadesii. The large size of the tank allows each breeding pair to have their own separate spawning site, which is very carefully guarded by the dominant male. The males have picked and developed breeding sites on opposite sides of the tank. That combined with the very different appearance as well as size difference guarantees they will not mix.

I have been fortunate enough to witness all spawnings as well.

#16 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

awsome fish Tim!!! , i think i have some of your c rhodesi from auction, there an awsome fish .... if you have any more available send us a pm ..
biggrin.gif

#17 danotaylor

danotaylor
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

beautiful pics Tim...everything looks great in the shots and even better in person! You have a well thought through and very well looked after set-up...all the juvies I have bought from you have been excellent quality and are doing so well...thanks for all the help you have given me too and answer my tedious qns...you're a good one mate!
Danny

#18 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

yerh good point, i understand what you say incompatiable......

but realisitcally malawis can still cross with other malawis, or do you do your research and only put specias that have a very small small chance of crossbreeding?

#19 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Cawdor @ Nov 22 2010, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers Phil, it's actually just Tim, even in my passport biggrin.gif

Awwwww Truuueeeee!

have you spawned those hoplo's yet?

phil

#20 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

Hehehe Phil biggrin.gif
the hoplos are still young, but I am planning on setting up an environment for them that allows them to build their bubble nest when they are ready. I would love to see it all happen in real life, I reckon it's very cool.

Thanks Scotty and Danny, and no worries Danny - I'm happy to help and pass on info and experience, just like others did for me when I started out.

Terboz: you are correct in that theoretically the malawis could cross. However in practice in that setup, I have specifically selected species that from the get go are unlikely to do so, based on appearance and size. Couple that with the environment they are in and me knowing what my fish do from watching them, I would say the chances are close to zero.
Had I ever witnessed anything even close to mating behaviour between the species, I would not have kept the fry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users