Photo

Plz Help Marine..

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

4 or 5 times now have i put live corals, hundreds of dollars worth, into my 3ft marine tank, only to discover them all withered and/or dead within a few days. what i dont get is the salinity level is just fine, although the temperature is just a bit high due to the recent hot weather.. the lady from ocean reefs has told me if the temp is anything around 31 degrees celcius i'll have a problem. i just checked again today and the temperature is actually 32 sad.gif is that what's killing my corals!?!? i've also put in a lionfish and some coral catfish and they've also disappeared.. no sign of them so i assume they're dead -.- the only live fish i have in there now are 2 ocellaris clowns and a butterfly fish.

any idea/help/suggestions is appreciated, thanks.

#2 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

Reduce your theromostat or turn it off all together during the day.

use a fan to blow air across the surface of the water, that would reduce the heat by 2-4 degrees

make sure you have enough lighting

that's all I can think at the moment, a bit rusty on marines since I have given up on them

#3 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Sazabi @ Dec 18 2008, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reduce your theromostat or turn it off all together during the day.

use a fan to blow air across the surface of the water, that would reduce the heat by 2-4 degrees

make sure you have enough lighting

that's all I can think at the moment, a bit rusty on marines since I have given up on them

thanks for ur advice
yeah i was suggested a refrigeration unit but that costs around $550? and i cant really afford it atm tongue.gif i've turned off my heater altogether and have put in an extra large powerhead for extra water movement but the fan idea may just work!! i'll give that a try, cheers buddy ^^

ps. for lighting i have 1 atinic blue tube & 1 power-glo tube

#4 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

the lighting will add a little heat to the tank but nothing uncontrollable, just turn the thermostat down 4 degrees and see how it goes. You need it at night lol so dont forget to turn it on

#5 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

not enough light, how long has the tank been established, what filtration, is there a protien skimmer, when was the last water change, what type of water do you use for top up? do you use Natural salt waster or do you use artificial salt water?? have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate?? Details people details. Its very hard to help with out details

#6 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Sazabi @ Dec 18 2008, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the lighting will add a little heat to the tank but nothing uncontrollable, just turn the thermostat down 4 degrees and see how it goes. You need it at night lol so dont forget to turn it on

wow i didnt realize how much heat the tubes were producing until opened up the lid and the heat wave just struck me!! within a few minutes of putting the fan on top of the tank the lionfish came out ^^ so i can confirm he's alive and well.. now to hunt for some hardy corals that can withstand summer-weather tongue.gif any recommendations?

#7 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

most tropical corals only withstand 30 degrees for a short period of time

#8 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (VietDragon @ Dec 18 2008, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow i didnt realize how much heat the tubes were producing until opened up the lid and the heat wave just struck me!! within a few minutes of putting the fan on top of the tank the lionfish came out ^^ so i can confirm he's alive and well..

winter is not so bad, but during summer... it is very very bad *chuckles*

A friend of mine just turns on the light at night during summer and turns it off before he goes to work, he got sick of doing that and he got himself a chiller, otherwise you need to turn your house cooling ventilations

#9 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ Dec 18 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not enough light, how long has the tank been established, what filtration, is there a protien skimmer, when was the last water change, what type of water do you use for top up? do you use Natural salt waster or do you use artificial salt water?? have you tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate?? Details people details. Its very hard to help with out details

hihi, i just have a bunch of liverock for filtration, the tank has been up & running without problems (well until recently) for approx. 5 months now. im using one of those protein skimmers that u attach to an air pump, umm last time i did a one-fifth water change was 3 days ago (1 day before i put in the last batch of corals). i used artificial salt water and have misplaced my test kits so the only thing i can test for at the moment is temp & salinity.

#10 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

how big is the tank?? what do you have for water movement??(how many lph)

#11 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ Dec 18 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
most tropical corals only withstand 30 degrees for a short period of time

that explain a whole lot mate, cheers. now to find out where they sell non-tropical corals lol~

#12 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

umm temperate corals can only withstand lower temps soo.....

#13 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (VietDragon @ Dec 18 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4 or 5 times now have i put live corals, hundreds of dollars worth, into my 3ft marine tank...

That would be equal to the cost of a chiller yeah? smile.gif

#14 VietDragon

VietDragon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ Dec 18 2008, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how big is the tank?? what do you have for water movement??(how many lph)

hi its a 3ft tank but i dunno how to measure the other dimensions LOL or im just ignorant.. and i have a 2800lph powerhead.

thanks

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Dec 18 2008, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be equal to the cost of a chiller yeah? smile.gif

yes.. yes it would be sleep.gif thank you for bringing that to my attention lmao.. maybe i should've thought of that before i bought all the bloody corals >.>

#15 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

when you find your test kits check your nitrates, you may find they are high

#16 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

i know this is old but butterflys will destroy your corals aswell so i think if that guy is still alive youll never have much luck with corals unless its a copperband or marginatus your talking about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users