Mr Leif's Led Lighting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Hello All, Dbolxo and Werdna;

So I have been talking about my LED tank upgrade. I found a gentleman on Ebay (Aussie Tasmania) and emailed him directly with my order http://www.ozledmall.com.au/. Basically I bought 500mm long Rigid Strip LED lights, 2x transformers and all the cabling for $165 plus $30 postage. Total $195.

I bought, 3x cool white (6500K), 2x warm white (3000K), 2x natural white (6000k), 2x blue LEDs to meet the full light spectrum. Each strip is 8.5watts, 12V power source, a total of 76.5watts of LED lighting (probably a bit too much). Please note; for the electrical conscious people, this is a 'snap-together' LED type lighting system.

Before:

[attachment=19775:IMG_1683sm.jpg]

Photo taken during the day

[attachment=19774:IMG_6407sm.jpg]

Photo taken at night

Setup:

[attachment=19766:IMG_1806sm.jpg][attachment=19767:IMG_1808sm.jpg]

[attachment=19769:IMG_1814sm.jpg][attachment=19768:IMG_1810sm.jpg]

After:

[attachment=19770:IMG_1815sm.jpg][attachment=19773:IMG_1579sm.jpg]

[attachment=19771:IMG_1825sm.jpg][attachment=19772:IMG_1826sm.jpg]

All in all I think it looks great, nice clean steady flow. I am pleased that all the lights mix together too.

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 11 June 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#2 dbolxo

dbolxo
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

there is pictures of two setups with different peices of wood, which is the one with the led lighting? And awesome tank:)

#3 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

It's not very bright for the amount of LEDs there. What it cost to set up ?

#4 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

It's not very bright for the amount of LEDs there. What it cost to set up ?

Thanks Bowdy for your vote of confidence, it cost me $165, plus postage.
Here is another photo I found from April.

[attachment=19776:IMG_1623sm.jpg]

there is pictures of two setups with different peices of wood, which is the one with the led lighting? And awesome tank:)

Good pickup, The darker one was an older photo (1 year ago), when I had some other wood in it.

That other photo I took a couple of weeks ago, you can see on the edges that it is darker, basically I had 2x 1 foot lights in the tank, as a 2 foot would not fit easily in the tank.

Basically I was trying to find one of the older photos that kinda showed my issues I had.

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 11 June 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#5 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

I like the light -dark contrast.

#6 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Those are just 5050 LED SMD strips cut up and mounted on aluminium aren't they? Or is that odd one out a 3528?

#7 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Those are just 5050 LED SMD strips cut up and mounted on aluminium aren't they? Or is that odd one out a 3528?

Yes, very similar 5036's

#8 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

Interesting.

I wouldn't mind comparing the difference to some of mine.

Scotty's setup cost about $100 more, however is for a much larger tank and has full control of brightness on white, red green and blue.

But the setup itself doesn't look as good under the cabinet.

Or add Kleinz's 3ft fluro conversion into the mix (I have to do a DIY article on that one day). His cost $15 for the power supply (I think?) and $30 for heatsinks, LEDs and regulators.

Don't know how you can call it not bright without actually seeing for yourself, a camera exposure can be adjusted easily to under/over expose any light source... but some people just like to have an opinion on everything :)

This LED here looks dim

led%20on.jpg

but it was shot at 1/4000 sec and f/14. That setting would make the sun look like a 40w light bulb :rolleyes:

Maybe we should start a "Show us your DIY LED setup" thread. Then everyone can see all the different options, discuss things with the builders and decide whether it is worth building compared to just buying a new setup from a shop.

#9 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Nice idea! Go for it.

Yes, you are right about the LED brightness and cameras, the photo of them 'turned on' I have shown was far brighter if you were standing there. It was like looking into the sun.

My LED Strips cost $12 (whites) and $15 (Blue) each, plus transformer, plus dimmer switches, plus postage. I have two transformers managing mine, the blue is on the second so I can have 'moonlight' too.

I also agree about comparing setups, sometimes a premade setup up works out cheaper, however for me I had a traingle shape to contend with so this way I think was better.

Also, if I had a premade setup, I would have had to fit it under the hood, and I would have had the same heat issues I had with the Fluros. I decided to mount mine into the hood instead, giving me more room.

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 12 June 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#10 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I like the strips, but IMO you did well choosing a few colour temps as they need a bit of blending for  good display properties.

You can judge colour for the most part from a pic, but not the brightness as the camera will just adjust the exposure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users