Photo

Captive-Bred P. Salousi Release - Taiwanee Reef, Sept 2014

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:43 PM

I thought I'd share a bit of a photo essay I've compiled about the P. salousi program being run by the Stuart M Grant Cichlid Conservation Fund. 

One of the exciting aspects of my recent trip to Malawi was seeing firsthand, and playing a tiny part in, the salousi captive breeding program.  Pseudotropheus salousi, a fish well known in the aquarium hobby, used to be found in large numbers on Taiwanee Reef in Lake Malawi. 

As with a lot of Malawi species, salousi are endemic to a very small area.  Taiwanee Reef is a large reef, but much of it is in very deep water.  The shallower areas where P. salousi live – where they can find the algae they feed on – is around the size of quarter of a football ground.  It takes no more than a few minutes to swim around. Salousi are found nowhere else.  A population restricted to such a small area is very vulnerable.  Ten years ago they could be found here in large numbers – sometimes in schools of hundreds of individuals.  They have suffered badly at the hands of unscrupulous collectors, to the point that on a swim around the reef now, only a handful of individuals can be located.

A program was set up by the Stuart M. Grant Cichlid Conservation Fund to catch a limited number of fish from the reef and use these to raise captive-bred juveniles for re-release. 

The first juvis from the program were released in September 2013.  Although several hundred fry had been raised that year, only a handful survived a cold spell over winter, meaning only 32 individuals were available for the first release.  There are more details of the project, photos and video of Ad Konings undertaking the release at the following link  http://www.cichlidpress.com/smgfund/smgfund23.html

So – some details about the breeding program and the second release in Sept 2014.  The breeding is being undertaken at the Stuart M Grant Ltd premises at Senga Bay, Malawi.  The wild caught salousi were originally placed in a temporary pond while work was done installing shade cloth over the larger outdoor ponds.  The temporary pond is an old concrete boat situated amongst the outside vats used for holding fish for export.  Later the salousi were moved to a larger pond, but it was found they didn’t fare as well, so they have been returned to the boat. This is where we saw them. 

Edited by humbug, 01 October 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#2 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

This is a photo of one of the large ponds they tried the fish in.  The chipokae which are also part of the program are still in one of these ponds.

Attached File  DSC_2510 (Medium).JPG   292.78KB   2 downloads

Edited by humbug, 01 October 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#3 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

The juvis had been separated out and were in tanks. 104 fish in total were available for release.  They had several hundred earlier in the year - but lost many over winter again.  The timing of the releases really needs to be re-thought. 

Early on the morning of 10th September they were moved to the fish house ready for bagging and the long trip back to Taiwanee Reef

Attached File  DSC_2695 (Medium).JPG   172.69KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2700 (Medium).JPG   162.7KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2720 (Medium).JPG   239.93KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2751 (Medium).JPG   170.25KB   2 downloads

Quite a crowd assembled to witness the bagging of the fish.

Attached File  DSC_2764a (Medium).jpg   165.23KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2775a (Medium).jpg   128.49KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2778 (Medium).JPG   208.68KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2787 (Medium).JPG   274.05KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2791 (Medium).JPG   268.48KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2794 (Medium).JPG   128.63KB   3 downloads

Edited by humbug, 01 October 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#4 Craig

Craig
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

Great to see! Thanks for sharing :)

#5 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

10 fish per bag – the bags were packaged ready for transport

Attached File  DSC_2800 (Medium).JPG   214.14KB   3 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2812 (Medium).JPG   180.74KB   3 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2816 (Medium).JPG   175.36KB   2 downloads

. . . . . and loaded into the back of the minivan with our gear for the long road trip to Kande resort. 

Attached File  DSC_2817 (Medium).JPG   216.49KB   2 downloads

The boat had headed north to Kande the day before.  5 hours by road is more attractive than 20+ hours by boat!  We left at around midday for the grueling road trip, arriving just after 5 pm at the resort.  The road is a “sealed” road, but doesn’t quite compare to roads here.  Suffice to say it wasn’t a smooth trip :-) 

Attached File  DSC_2829 (Medium).JPG   202.38KB   2 downloads

A bridge – Malawi style.  This is on the main road up the west side of the lake.

Attached File  DSC_2831 (Medium).JPG   227.25KB   3 downloads

The fish were loaded onto the boat where they remained overnight. 

Attached File  DSC_2914a_edited-1 (Medium).jpg   131.08KB   3 downloads

We had a quick dive at Kande Island first thing in the morning, then head off to Taiwanee Reef.  It’s at this point that it REALLY hits home to us just how big this bloody lake is!  This is one of the widest points of the lake, and we are travelling from the west coast to a point which is less that 2/3rds of the way across the lake.  It takes us 5 ½ hours to get there. 

The top of Taiwanee Reef is around 20 feet below the surface, and then it drops away into much deep water.  There is a strong current through there, and we were all concerned about losing our way.  You wouldn’t want to surface away from the boat in that situation.  We all entered the water at the same time and swam down the anchor chain.  Visibility far better than we have found at any dive site to date.  Some of the guys did a quick circuit of the reef to count salousi.  Counts varied from 36 to 57.  Then we returned to the surface to get the fish.

We gathered in a semi-circle and filmed/photographed the release. 

Attached File  DSCF2971 (Medium).JPG   102.85KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSCF2978 (Medium).JPG   95.42KB   3 downloads

From the time the fish were bagged until the point at which they were released was approximately 29 hours.  Although all care was taken, it was a pretty grueling trip. Even getting the bags into the water, descending to the reef, and the actual release of the fish was more difficult than I had imagined.  A few individuals didn’t survive, but close to 100 were released successfully.

After the release we all went for an explore of the reef.  Even towards the end of the dive I kept coming across the new bubs – great to see them already feeding.

Attached File  DSCF3037 (Medium).JPG   184.95KB   2 downloads

#6 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:31 PM

Another shot of the newly released salousi, and a few more poor shots of other fish on the reef.

Attached File  DSCF3048a (Medium).jpg   271.96KB   3 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3024a (Medium).jpg   171.58KB   3 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3025a (Medium).jpg   160.76KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSCF3028a (Medium).jpg   140.03KB   2 downloads

• ice likes this

#7 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

great thread :) pleasure to read and view

#8 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

So jealous! TFS

#9 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

Don't be jealous!  If its important to you, make plans to do it yourself sometime.  I should have done this years ago.  It not as expensive, nor as difficult, as I thought.  I can assure you I'll be going back!

#10 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

Awesome write up and Photos of a trip well worth remembering  well done :ThanxSmiley:

#11 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:54 AM

great thread...i recognize one of the people in the photos...marc from african cichlid hub.

been folowing marc and his videos for a few years now...great guy and knows his stuff.

#12 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

Marc "Bolly" Boulton was my dive buddy for the trip.  Lots of laughs had.  Really nice guy.  He is currently editing his 40+ hours of underwater video and is posting it bit by bit.  His footage is better than mine, although his seems to have a real mbuna focus, and he misses many of the good haps :) He got some ripper footage of two male fuelleborni fighting - quite comical to watch those guys "lip-locking".  I'm also hoping some of his footage of large female haps brooding fry turn out well. 

Was actually an interesting aspect of the trip - spending a lot of time with people from around the world who share a common interest.  Three of the group work in the industry; two retailers and one in wholesale, in the UK, USA and Canada.  All spoke of exactly the same issues that are facing our guys locally. 

#13 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hi kathy, thanks for sharing your fantastic experience with the W.A crew.

#14 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Thanks again Kathy! I love reading your threads and looking at your pics.
Your trip has motivated me to get my butt into gear and get there.
Hopefully within the next 2-3yrs.

#15 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2014 - 05:56 AM

Awesome thread and pics Humbug thank you so much for sharing. Could not belive that salousi only inhabit a space quarter football field size. No wonder they were decimated. Love the breeding and release program will be great to hear how its all going in a year or 2 time.

#16 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

Hope I'm not breaking forum rules by posting a link, but Marc Boulton from The Cichlid Hub has just uploaded his 17 minute video documenting the captive-bred salousi release at Taiwanee Reef in mid September.

This is exciting stuff - positive efforts to try to preserve some of the species in the wild which have been placed under too much pressure by multiple factors including overfishing for the aquarium trade. Ad Konings has recently announced that the program is being extended to include some Tanganyikan species considered in peril. I believe further Malawi species will also be included in the future.

https://www.youtube....VnWxnLzMxw&=hd1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users