Tank Cleaning

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TJ__74

TJ__74
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

Hi.

I had a pleco during the week who I think was stuck in a hole in a limestone rock.  I pulled the rock out to get him out, and noticed how much food had gathered under the rocks.

Is it bad to remove all of the rocks for a really thorough clean?  I've heard arguments for and against of disturbing territories.  Also, is it bad to stir up the sand substrate to bring any waste to the surface, trying not to irritate the fish.

Thanks.

TJ

#2 jjm66smokey

jjm66smokey
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

Rotting food adds to ammonia/nitrite/nitrates and phosphates in the tank

IMO... Use a proper aquarium siphon and gently lift the edge of each rock and stick it under to suck out food/poo/debris

I'd never pull out all of the rocks - one at a time at most - disturbing the environment can stress the fish (and possibly the bioload on your filter)

A bigger siphon can such the waste out of the sand substrate without too much disturbance.

Maybe when you do your weekly 20% waterchange, do 40% instead and siphon out as much gunk as you can?

#3 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

Sounds like you need to get a better circular flow in your tank, you need to try and get water current along the bottom of the tank, removing dead spots and allowing your filter to collect/clear all this up.

#4 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

Agree.
I like to use wave pumps, they help to send all the waste in one spot/up to the filter so you don't have to worry too much about siphoning or moving rocks around.
In my 6 ft I used a 3000lt/h and it did a great job (still running now!)

#5 TJ__74

TJ__74
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:36 AM

Thanks guys.  The wave makers shouldn't upset my sand substrate too much?  Is there a size of wave maker I should look at? My tank is 1000 x 400 x 450 (190L)  Do I leave the wave maker running permanently, or run it off a timer?  I'd be happy if I could just get all the waste in one area, and then syphon from there.

Cheers.

TJ

#6 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

It wouldn't. You just have to direction it so the flow doesn't mess directly the substrate but creates current right above it.
I would go with a 1200/1500 lt/h, just because I like it strong .. And running all the time

It's a relatively small tank, you shouldn't have too much waste though, what filter are you using ?

#7 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

I would go with a 1200/1500 lt/h, just because I like it strong .. And running all the time

Also, after a year or 2 of it running it will slow down, but still have a great current. A smaller unit would be dawdleing along.

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 09 April 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#8 TJ__74

TJ__74
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

I have an Aquis 1000, and also a Sicce Shark internal filter.  Both intakes are a good 6 inches off the substrate, so it doesn't pick up a lot of the waste in the tank, but I try to give the substrate a clean once a week.  I'm happy to keep the vacuuming up once a week, rather than risk the filter picking up sand, or needing to be cleaned out too often. I just need a wavemaker or two to blow out the waste that is gathering amongst the rocks.

I might check out a few wave makers in the 1200 - 1500 lph range.

Cheers.

#9 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

I had a 300l cichlids tank full of peacocks and other Africans. The setup contained of limestone rocks, fake plants and driftwood. Filtration was just a Rhein canister. Every time I cleaned my tank I would take out all the rocks and stir up my sand then do a water change. Then I'd reset up the tank. This way is always have a new look me keep it interesting. Does matter what fish you have I guess? Mine were just cichlids and could survive in a puddle of mud. Also I wouldn't be worried about disturbing territories as they will just make new ones. Also your meant to change your set up every time you add a new fish. Tbh in my opinion people make too much of a fuss about fish. It's all personal opinion.

#10 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

I disagree a bit. If you have a harmonious cichlid setup why would you want fish getting all cranky and punching on to re establish territories. Not the end of the world I know but why mess with whats working?

As Far as fish surviving in puddle of mud... people survive pow camps too... The fact that fish live through a situation does not, in my view, make it an ok situation. Each situation is different and requires some judgement.

If you have waste building up in any part of the tank, thats a bad deal, should do something about it even if it does mean disturbing the aquascape

Why would you want it in your canister though? Theres no difference between crap in the tank and crap in the filter other than appearance. Id rather siphon it out routinely than build up in a filter that might get cleaned every few months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users