• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hi all

One of my worst fears in setting up more tanks is the electricity costs especially now that I'm looking at getting into corals and MH lighting.

Check out this post where solar tubes have been run down to a reef marine tank. Very impressive! Not sure if u need to subscribe but definately worth checking out.

http://www.masa.asn....h...&highlight=

If there are any tradies that could assist me in doing this with my setup perhaps we could work together and demo it for the rest.

Dazza

#2 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

I saw a solatube building on the way to ocean reefs that reminded me of the tank. I think some companies offer a supply and fit/install if you dont have the diy skills (or know someone that does) to install it.

#3 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

Looks really good, you do need to subscribe, but most people probably are, i know i am, the amount of light he gets down those tubes at 9am is incredible, and the added benefits of the natural dawn and light fluctuations, fantastic idea.
Ive been working as a formwork carpenter for about 2 years now, so i like to think i have some carpentry skills, so if your serious about doing this then im more than willing to help, just to see how it turns out.

#4 Dan

Dan
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

There's an article in the Aquarium Keeper Australia Magazine
On that exactly and how a guy did it.

#5 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:04 PM

When you say solar tubes do you mean like skylite set ups.

If you do i have installed quite a few of these including a few at home but never really thought of using them for lighting a tank great idea but.

Theres a place in Wangara that sells skylite kits at a very reasonable price
and they have a few diff sizes on the shelf.

Next time im up that way ill get there name and post it up for you as im sure they would be able to advise you in the best way to get things started.

Brad

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:07 AM

The skylights should be similar to what is seen here - http://220.244.175.1...?page=skylights

Can you provide an estimate on costs?

Cheers,
Dazza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users