Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Leevers's Content

There have been 47 items by Leevers (Search limited from 05-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#88872 Must See Tv...reptiles.

Posted by Leevers on 14 April 2008 - 06:40 PM in Off The Wall

Hey Col,
I'll definetly be watching this one. I'm a big fan of docu's and David's ones at that.

#88873 Open Water Diver!

Posted by Leevers on 14 April 2008 - 06:48 PM in Off The Wall

For the past 2 years a friend of mine who is currently a dive master has been pushing me to get my open water....
Last tuesday i made the leap and got my dive medical and managed to book in my dive course last weekend (fri,sat,sun).
All i can say is that it is probably the best decision i have made to date, and i recommend those of you who haven't done it, get out there and do it!

I did mine through Perth Scuba in canningvale(couple of shops down from Aquotix) and their service was second to none.
Our boat dives yesterday had expectations and nerves at the same time. I put my BCD on and all my gear and i made the leap into 18m deep waters and slowly decended with my dive buddy. Rottnest has a world below that words cannot describe, with caves and caverns reaching 26m in depth with walls litered in marine life. 20mins at 18m and noticed 2 sharks swim overhead. as they moved pretty darn quick, it is very difficult to make out what type of shark they were but none the less the feeling was surreal! On land you couldn't imagine yourself swimming with sharks nor would you want to be in that position, but when your down below it is the most incredible feeling!

I'm going to take a few more boat dives with the Perth Scuba crew to build confidence a little, and then am going to do my Advanced open water of which allows you to go to a depth of 30m, after which i'd like to do deep diving with nitrox at 40m.

18m just isn't enough!!!

Hope i can inspire some of you to get out there and get it done, because i can guarentee you that life in the ocean is a world no picture or video can put perspective on. It is the best decision you'll ever make.

#88953 Open Water Diver!

Posted by Leevers on 15 April 2008 - 04:26 PM in Off The Wall

QUOTE (DR14GoNF14SH @ Apr 15 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive only ever been snorkelling...i dunno, something about not being able to see my legs (or whats coming to eat my legs) makes me nervous! unsure.gif i found myself whipping around every 2 minutes expecting there to be a monster shark gunnin at me...

do any of the dive masks come with rear view mirrors?? huh.gif might make me feel more comfortable!

i would have to say that open water diving, along with heights, are my two main fears....gives me butterflies just thinking about it... blink.gif

i'm sure you can modify your mask to accomodate this haha.
To be honest, i had a fear of open water at one stage due to close encounters to near drownings. Going into my course i was a little concerned, but as i said. words can't describe how different it is under water, your mind clears and everything is just bliss!!
you'd love it if you gave it a chance

#89114 Fs: Tank & Cabinet (on Hold)

Posted by Leevers on 17 April 2008 - 04:06 PM in Classifieds

Tank - 1230Lx350Wx500H Bay front
Cabinet - Cabinet is black with 2 doors. there is a scuff mark on the hood, but a little sand and paint will fix that

Accessories - 1x 300w Heater
- 1x SunSun Cannister with UV Sterilliser inbuilt
- 1x AquaOne CF-1000
- 1x 4' Light
- Complete Co2 Setup with 2 types of diffusers (Boc c02 bottle does not come with the setup)
- AquaMedics Regulator & Tunze Regulator
- Timer for light
- Various Ferns and plants are established in the tank and will be sold with the tank.
- A few pieces of Drift wood

Pictures - I have a couple of Pictures of which i'd be happy to send, but given the plants have changed over time, i don't currently have any updated pictures but am willing to take more upon request.

Comments - All in all i quite like this tank, but it's currently located at work, and it's quite difficult to maintain this tank and the display tank in the Reception whilst having work to do, so the cash could be used elsewhere for the time being.

Price - $500 FIRM

Contact - Chris - 0421475229

Arrangement - Best time for pickup would be on a weekend as it does not interfere with work activities.

#89190 Fs: Tank & Cabinet (on Hold)

Posted by Leevers on 18 April 2008 - 11:42 AM in Classifieds

I need this gone within 3 weeks, so if anyone is interested don't hesitate to call or pm me

#89191 Gavin's 600l Inwall Reef

Posted by Leevers on 18 April 2008 - 11:46 AM in Marine Discussion, Photos & Journals

fantastically done! what a creative way to renovate a wall

#89600 Water Circulation

Posted by Leevers on 22 April 2008 - 03:58 PM in Technical & Equipment

Hey Col,

Many of the above comments are correct, but there really isn't a great need for a second cannister in a planted tank as the plants do a bloody good job of cleaning the water themselves.

You'll find with a little research that when you spray any form of water in any direction in a tank, you will get a counter movement in another direction. This movement will cause debris at times to form or build up in one particular spot. The perfect solution for this i found is a rotating powerhead which throws water movement in all areas of the tank which prevents the build up of any debris in any typical corner of the tank. This form of powerhead also produces a calming motion in the water as the plants move back and fourth and look fantastic. If there are fish in the tank, they will love it also.

My 2 cents on behalf of what i feel works best for me biggrin.gif

#89668 Fs: Tank & Cabinet (on Hold)

Posted by Leevers on 23 April 2008 - 09:35 AM in Classifieds

Tank is still for sale.

As per a couple of questions via PM's, The tank is still fully established and will empty the tank prior to pick up due to the short life of plants if not kept under the right conditions. I am also throwing in a few other things such as heaters and air pumps at no extra cost as i don't think i'll need them in my other tanks.

Cheers

#89669 Water Circulation

Posted by Leevers on 23 April 2008 - 09:43 AM in Technical & Equipment

I agree with the above, Hydor powerheads are the ducks nuts when it comes to this application as their widely used in marine to aid in coral growth and help give a more natural tidal movement in the water.

#89671 Digital Thermometers

Posted by Leevers on 23 April 2008 - 09:49 AM in Technical & Equipment

I tend to steer clear of these electronic units. I have had the same problem with numourous brands and have given up. As stated above, i find the best thermometers are the glass tube type as they provide an adequate reading for the application and their fail safe.

#89676 Co2 Diffuser Use?

Posted by Leevers on 23 April 2008 - 10:06 AM in Technical & Equipment

Google is great for information, but with a lack of general understanding, you might aswell search for a needle in a haystack.
As per your question. As I'm sure your well aware, plants need 3 things to sustain sufficient growth.

1. Light
2. Nutrients
3. Co2

Depending on the type of plants you decide to keep in your tank will stipulate the degree of demand your plants will place on you.
Sufficient lighting is a must in aiding plant growth and your light selection can vary in many shapes and forms.
In order to select the adequate light, you need to establish what size your tank is going to be as light refracts in water, therefore the deeper the tank the brighter the light must be in order to penetrate the depth of the water.
A cheap, but well effective option for the majority of readily available plants are fluro's and come in form of compact, T5 or even T8. For the example of a standard sized 4x18x18 tank, a T8 double fluro fitting with the right light spectrum tubes would be more than sufficient.(for information on types of lamps and their composition see the article section under "Lighting 101").

Nutrients in the substrate can be provided in form of tablet or liquid. The majority of people would be happy to keep their plants in sand and allow them to grab their nutrients from the water and the breakdown of fish poo and food.

Co2 will accellerate the growth of your plants quicker than any of the 3 forms of the requirements, but can come at a cost. A co2 diffuser has one job and one job only; to dissolve co2 into the water. the cheapest yet probably most effective is the standard Powerhead such as an Ototto power head with a co2 accessory that clips onto the bottom of a foamfilter. Once you have established what diffuser you's like to use, all you need now is a Tank of food grade co2 and a regulator to control bubblecount.

I could go into more detail, but the basics are all you need.
I hope this helps your understanding a little.

#89678 Which Siamese Flying Fox is Which?

Posted by Leevers on 23 April 2008 - 10:12 AM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

I have a few siamese flying fox and the flying fox in my planted tank, their of decent size too. How much do these little buggers normally sell for?

#89689 My Tang 4 Foot Display Tank & Cabinet

Posted by Leevers on 23 April 2008 - 03:12 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

i love it! i love those hood/cabinets

#89691 My 8x3x2.5 Updated 6.4.08

Posted by Leevers on 23 April 2008 - 03:53 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

light seems rather bright. what tubes are you using? i'm assuming your using T5's?
or my second guess would be a combined halide/T5 unit? the blue light refracts through the water fantastically.

#89773 Which Siamese Flying Fox is Which?

Posted by Leevers on 24 April 2008 - 04:12 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Apr 23 2008, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends.... probably retail about $5-$8 if they are good looking, yet young specimens... really depends on how they look, their age and the shop involved, whether they have the clientèle that would be interested in these fish at that size.

Cheers olly, at that price i might aswell hold onto them. not interested in selling them, but also not very interested in the fish so i wouldn't suprise myself if i handed them over to one of the sponsors. Their a very timid fish i've found and although i have about 5 of these, they really arn't a very active fish at the best of times

#89774 Wtb: Light Unit

Posted by Leevers on 24 April 2008 - 04:15 PM in Classifieds

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=16894

Col has just what your after mate

#89775 Good Places To Fish In Perth??

Posted by Leevers on 24 April 2008 - 04:17 PM in Off The Wall

Port kennedy off the beach is fantastic in the bay there. great for Tailer, Silver bream, Port Jackson Sharks, Raas, Herring etc
good family fishing spot and perfect for early morning fishing.

White hills and tims thicket are great for running salmon and at this time of year are fantastic places to be at the moment.

all are worth sussing out none the less.

#90030 Nissan Stagea Rs4

Posted by Leevers on 27 April 2008 - 11:24 AM in Off The Wall

A Stagea is a nice car equiped with a lovely and more than reliable Rb25det of which is capable of approx 400hp on standard motor. The only issue you have to look out for is previous accident history along with modification history as both will affect your decision. Other than that their a nice car all in all. Not always to find in the best of condition, but otherwise nice to drive. Fuel consumption will depend on your choice of tune and mods if you plan on going there. Insurance will cost you about $2000-2500 at a guess and you'll only be able to get it through JustCar as i can almost guarentee you that no one else will touch you.

#90036 Nissan Stagea Rs4

Posted by Leevers on 27 April 2008 - 01:46 PM in Off The Wall

QUOTE (mickya @ Apr 27 2008, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just Car will insure it for $2200

I was spot on the money then ey? haha

#90841 Open Water Diver!

Posted by Leevers on 05 May 2008 - 06:28 PM in Off The Wall

QUOTE (Ado1968 @ Apr 19 2008, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Jeremy

Great pics I must admit I've always wanted to go diving but never really had the time.
might have to make the time.
Any recomendations on who to contact?

cheers Adrian

Yep i agree with Jezza, Perth Scuba in Canningvale. Their prices on equipment are second to none. Major discounts when purchasing while on a course. The service and general atmosphere with perth scuba is something i'm happy to applaud them with.

On saturday i went and bought all my equipment which set me back $3k and has skint me for the rest of the week, but it had to be done, and their tanks and air fill prices are better than the majority in town.

If you see Lee or Nat and tell them Chrissy Leevers sent ya, they'll look after you.

Doing my Advanced in 2 weeks which will be good, but can't see myself going any further than that as i just don't see the need for it. I could do my deep diver course, but at 40m the light doesn't get any brighter and in my opinion, i couldn't understand how much more you'll see at 40m that you couldn't at 18-30m, that being said; I haven't dived that deep to have a valid opinion.

My and 4 mates went diving around garden island and karnac on the weekend and you wouldn't believe what happened. Upon getting ready on the boat, we noticed a school of approx 4 dolphins swimming close by. I swished my hand in the water and a Dolphin at around 5.5foot came up to the boat and let me rub it's chin. Best random close encounter i've had with a marine creature of that size. I could only assume that it was once an "AQUA" dolphin due to the way it presented itself toward the boat, but it was incredible none the less

#90957 Marines Assortment

Posted by Leevers on 06 May 2008 - 09:16 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

that green thing.... hmmm thats what i caught in kalbarri off the rocks. :S

#90958 Avatar

Posted by Leevers on 06 May 2008 - 09:17 PM in Off The Wall

Those darn little ant .gif avatars you guys have are driving me insane hahaha
everytime i see it move i go to squash the little bugger! how stupid do i feel lol

#91033 Open Water Diver!

Posted by Leevers on 07 May 2008 - 05:12 PM in Off The Wall

QUOTE (slink @ May 6 2008, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much is Perth scuba for refills?? I have been in the shop a couple of times they had a great range prices are good as well. Anybody have divemaster?? I would recommend doing this its great fun as well as Advanced. There are alot of great places just the main thing is to get into a PADI course most known around the world (not many anymore which arent PADI) your game Leevers too cold for me this time of year LOL biggrin.gif

haha yeah well all good. perth scuba charge $5 for refills. place on stirling highway charges $2, but to support local business and a great bunch of people, I'll only be refilling at perth scuba. Atleast i know it's quality air and have well maintained filters

#91215 Open Water Diver!

Posted by Leevers on 10 May 2008 - 01:02 PM in Off The Wall

QUOTE (slink @ May 7 2008, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well you would hope they have clean filters LOL biggrin.gif

haha stranger things have happened!

#91735 Can Anyone Recommend A Broadband/home Phone Provider?

Posted by Leevers on 18 May 2008 - 06:39 PM in Off The Wall

I wouldn't use anyone other than iinet. i have a static-ip and have had 100% uptime for the past 6months