Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Oscar Love's Content

There have been 29 items by Oscar Love (Search limited from 02-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#212100 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 10 May 2011 - 01:51 PM in Classifieds

Updated to bump!

#210006 Fs: Juvenile Yellows And Borleyi

Posted by Oscar Love on 23 April 2011 - 11:20 AM in Classifieds

You can copy/paste/delete as necessary.

Livestock
Name: Electric Yellows
Size: 1-2cm
Number (if more than one):80-100ish
Sex (if known, otherwise state "sex unknown"): Unknown
Price or a ballpark figure: $2-$3 each minimum 10 buy
Photos: don't have photos

Name: Borleyi
Size: 1-1.5cm
Number (if more than one):60ish
Sex (if known, otherwise state "sex unknown"): Unknown
Price or a ballpark figure: $3 each minimum 10 buy
Photos: don't have photos

#210004 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 23 April 2011 - 11:01 AM in Classifieds

Need all this gone.

#208443 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 06 April 2011 - 10:48 PM in Classifieds

Prices reduced again.
....and bump.

#207350 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 27 March 2011 - 09:26 PM in Classifieds

UP IT GOES

#206554 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 20 March 2011 - 12:30 PM in Classifieds

bump

Oscars SOLD!
Thread updated.
Now willing to sell Borleyi separately. Buyer willing to take all will get preference.

#205760 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 12 March 2011 - 12:44 PM in Classifieds

Frontosa and Marbled Peacocks SOLD!

Just in case there were any doubts about the breeding of the Borleyi, 1 of the females spat today....

How many do you count? I got about 60.......

#204656 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 28 February 2011 - 08:42 PM in Classifieds

Up it goes.

#203361 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 19 February 2011 - 03:01 PM in Classifieds

Prices reduced to bump.

#202000 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 06 February 2011 - 08:31 PM in Classifieds

More stuff added and the Yellows have sold....

#201590 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 02 February 2011 - 06:28 PM in Classifieds

Thanks for all the pm's guys.
At the moment I would like to sell the complete setups with the fish as I don't want to store the tanks.
So for just the yellows the price is $200, and you get a free tank and equipment tongue.gif
I have about 40 to 50 fry and about 60 1cm to 2.5 cm and a mouth full to prove they are breeding for you who asked smile.gif

Same with the Borleyi at the moment...

Thanks.

#201572 Selling Up

Posted by Oscar Love on 02 February 2011 - 04:35 PM in Classifieds

Hi everybody,
Due to me seeking employment up north, I have to sell everything sad.gif.
On the plus side, I see this as an opportunity to buy my own place and have a bigger better setup one day smile.gif.

So up for sale is:

Livestock

* Copadichromis borleyi (Kadango Red) breeding colony
* 5-15cm
* 1 large M$35 2 smaller M's$25, 2 large F's$25 the rest smaller F's ATM$15 each. Or $140 for all 11.

Tank:

* Dimensions- 8x1.5x2f
* Glass Thickness- 10mm
* Condition- excellent = as new, some marks that can be removed
* Stand- metal, bare stand
* Lids- Yes
* Price/ballpark figure including equipment listed below, sand and limestone $1250. Cost well over $2000 Now $750 or $900 with remaining fish listed below plus some peacocks.
I designed this tank to fit up against a wall leading to a door which is why it is 1.5foot wide. As a result it does not take up too much room.
Also, I cut holes into the opposite top back corners as I was originally intending to use a sump filter. They have been covered with glass but should be easy to remove if you wish.
*Will not sell tank until most of the fish are gone*

Equipment etc

* Brand...............................................Eheim Pro2 2026 950 l/h(x2)..................Jager 300w.........................Schego M2K3 350 l/h.....................4foot light
* Age..................................................7ish years............................................6 months............................6ish years.....................................Unknown
* Description.......................................Canister filters, Good working condition...Heater, Excellent condition...Air pump, Good working condition...Good working

Livestock
$250 for all listed below or...

* Name-.........Albino Peacock
* Size-.......7-10cm
* Number-..3.3
* Sex-.......F
* Price-.....$35 for 3 or $15 each

* Name-.....Chromobotia macracanthus (Clown Loach)...Pseudotropheus Crabro
* Size-.......5-11cm......................................................22cm.
* Number-..5..............................................................1
* Sex-........Unknown...................................................M
* Price-......$10-$35 or $100 for 5................................$25

* Name-.....Convict.....Synodontis nigriventris(Upside down Catfish)
* Size-.......5cm..........7-8cm
* Number-..2..............3
* Sex-........1M 1F.......Unknown
* Price-......$10 both...$20 each

Glass (5mm)

I also have some glass to make 100l tanks. I think enough for 2 tanks.
3footx14x14inches
The pics of the 8footer tank have one bottom left.
It's never been used.
$15 a piece

You can pick everything up in Balga.

#186899 My Oscar Has Acne

Posted by Oscar Love on 09 October 2010 - 08:43 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

OK bit info I learned while trying to treat Jr., for all those in a similar situation to me.

We all know HITH head is caused by poor diet and or poor water quality and stress accelerates the disease. The marks on the head and or body are a symptom of the real problem which is a gut bacteria infection.

Garlic is NOT a miracle cure but is somewhat a miracle preventative.

I was told that Morley Vet clinic has a Vet that is an experienced Cichlid breeder and specializes in fish diseases. Does call outs too.

I was put onto a mob called 'Exotic Pets' which are mobile and can treat HITH. I think they are based SOR but do weekly NOR runs up to Heathridge. Their number is 93299200.

Metronidazole is definitely not available from your LFS, but apparently it is in some disease fighting solutions which are available from your LFS. I couldn't find any but did not have time to have an extensive look.

I was told about another drug called 'Octozin' (waterlife) which can help, but apparently is not 'over the counter' any more either. But there may be some bottles on the shelf still.

The most useful information for my situation (I'm going on holidays for 2 weeks on sunday) came from Paul at Morley Aquariums.
He put me onto an over the counter pond treatment which he has had good success with in treating HITH disease. It's called Blagdon 'Anti Ulcer'.
It's 25mils for 450L which goes straight into the tank and does not upset the filters or the other fish and feeding. A second dose is required 4 days after the first.
This may not help in advanced cases HITH, but from what I've seen, I'd describe Jr's symptoms as early to moderate.
Morley didn't have any left but I found some at Malaga Aquariums and should cost you around $50.

The treatment I've done so far.

*Added garlic to the tank.
*Done a 50% water change and added more garlic.
*Added the Anti Ulcer to the tank.
*PH test reads 6.8-7.0
*Ammonia is at a safe level

I hope I have a happy surprise when I get home.

Things to do when I get home.

*PH and Ammonia test.
*Water change
*Replace some limestone with another rock for a more balanced environment.
*Add some more wood and maybe some plants.

#186619 Lfs Dont Charge Enough For Their Services

Posted by Oscar Love on 07 October 2010 - 04:45 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Oct 6 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aquotix Aquariums can help - but they are SOR (South of the River)

HTH (Hope this Helps)

Cheers,
Oliver

LOL. Thanks for the translations Oliver.

Anyone NOR? smile.gif

#186498 Lfs Dont Charge Enough For Their Services

Posted by Oscar Love on 06 October 2010 - 04:52 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

OH ok, cheers guys blush.gif

Does anyone specialize in HITH for Oscars?

#186461 Lfs Dont Charge Enough For Their Services

Posted by Oscar Love on 06 October 2010 - 11:00 AM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Excuse my ignorance....
What is LFS & OLFS?

#186404 My Oscar Has Acne

Posted by Oscar Love on 05 October 2010 - 09:25 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Yeh I hear ya. But it hasn't been a problem for 6 or so years.

In fact the last and first time I had a problem with a disease or ailment was when I first set up the tank when a few fish got white spot, the other big Oscar included.

Since then, plain sailing, only losing the odd fish here and there.

One Oscar has been in there since day dot and the sick one about 6 months less.

To tell you the truth I didn't realize the requirement difference when I set up the tank. I just knew or thought I did, that Cichlids need limestone and everything else will sort it's self out.

I know a little better now, but like I said, there has been no problem till now.

I must admit that water changes haven't been as regular as they should have been as it all became too hard for a bit, but I'm back on top of it again.

#186375 My Oscar Has Acne

Posted by Oscar Love on 05 October 2010 - 05:59 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

The tank is 8x1.5x2. http://www.perthcich...showtopic=36457

I wouldn't say he is picked on, but in the last pic in the link he's squaring up to one of a pair, smaller Oscar. 2 min later all 5 will be swimming as a school lol.

I've been reading as much as I can on HITH today, this seems vary useful http://www.flippersa...ITHarticle2.htm

Unfortunately I'm off on a 2 week holiday at the end of the week so I'll do what I can for now till I get back.

I've read that garlic is good for killing bacteria, would rubbing a little garlic in the wounds be adventageous or would in be to stressfull?
I just want to slow the HITH down till I get back. I know it sounds a little rediculous, but I can only see it being maginally more stressful than scooping him out to seperate him.

I'm also thinking I should get some NEW LIFE SPECTRUM THERA A FORMULA. Appaerently high in garlic and all your Cichlids need.

Thanks for the replys.

#186341 8 Footer

Posted by Oscar Love on 05 October 2010 - 12:58 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Thanks.
I guess they all like a little coke and pepsi wink.gif

#186340 My Oscar Has Acne

Posted by Oscar Love on 05 October 2010 - 12:56 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

sad.gif Thanks for the reply. I'll get on to it.
Any reason that only one of 5 Oscars would be affected?

#186239 My Oscar Has Acne

Posted by Oscar Love on 04 October 2010 - 02:48 PM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Ok so its not acne, but it kinda looks like it.
He seems happy, not sulking, still eating and swimming/playing, but over the last few weeks these holes have been appearing on and around his head.
There are 5 Oscars in the tank, as well as multiple other cichlids, but Jr seems to be the only fish effected.
Is this serious and does he need treatment before it gets out of control?

#186237 8 Footer

Posted by Oscar Love on 04 October 2010 - 02:29 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

Hi just thought I'd share some pictures of my 8 foot display tank.
The tank is 8x1.5x2 which I made to fit into a space. I wish I'd made it 2x2 now, but you get that.
I made it for my Oscars, the two bigger albino ones, and have bought 3 more since then.
There are lots of other cichlids and they all get along pretty well. The male peacocks fight and bully for dominance the most. Occasionally the Oscars like to square off too.
Sorry about the poor quality pics, but a camera phone is all I have at the moment.

Two Oscars squaring off. The smaller one usually wins lol. Jr the bigger Oscar is distracted by the camera.

#185797 Male Cichlids Dislike Their Own Reflections More

Posted by Oscar Love on 29 September 2010 - 03:45 PM in Articles

Well that explains why my male Borleyi sits in the corner looking at himself.

I just thought he loved himself tongue.gif

#185789 Can I Keep Convict Cichlids With My Fish

Posted by Oscar Love on 29 September 2010 - 03:01 PM in Cichlid Discussion

In my experience Convicts will attack/defend against any fish no matter how big or small when they are breeding or have fry.
As long as the other fish have enough other tank to swim in, it should be ok.

Convict are generally quite placid when not breeding. On the flip side, when breeding they are the 'best parents' as they will defend their territory and fry with there life.

I have seen my full grown adault Oscars back down to Convicts with fry every time.

#183970 Skittish Fish

Posted by Oscar Love on 14 September 2010 - 04:20 PM in Cichlid Discussion

I've experienced that the more fish in the tank, the less skittish the fish are.
For example, I have a 4 foot tank with breeding Borleyi in it next to my front door. Not the greatest place I know.
Initially there was 3 female and 1 male and 1 convict.
Every time anyone would enter the room the fish would dart up and down the tank banging heads, even when feeding.
In the mean time I had an electric yellow breeding colony/grow out tank at the bottom of my big tank (in another room) with about 40 fish in total of various sizes swimming to the surface looking for a meal everytime you enter the room.
Recently I traded in the juviniles, and put 6 Borleyi from the grow out tank into the main tank, leaving only about 7 electric yellows (breeding colony) in that tank.
Now it's the opposite. The Borleyi get excited and the yellows I hardly ever see anymore.
The moral of the story, SAFETY IN NUMBERS! I guess.

I have timber floors too.