Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

shayne's Content

There have been 53 items by shayne (Search limited from 30-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#354852 The Fish That Nobody Wanted

Posted by shayne on 20 August 2016 - 04:11 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

WOW! Looking good.

#353503 Pcs Meeting July 5Th - Co2 Enrichment & Bagging Fish.

Posted by shayne on 06 July 2016 - 06:41 PM in Monthly Meetings - Next Meeting Info

Great talk from Rovik. Very informative and well presented.

I'm gutted, so keen to hear that but couldn't make it.

#353500 Aquascaping 2016 Discussion Thread

Posted by shayne on 06 July 2016 - 06:35 PM in Aquascaping - Tank Journal

I am yet [touchwood] to see any aggression from my larger N. ater and he is at least 3x bigger than my smaller one [bulk not length] and recently introduced a even smaller renahldi [great score! 20$ but a 5 hour round trip to collie. Thanks to a tip from Leichardti :) ] It is a very busy tank though, lots of dithers.Am considering thinning the dithers and throwing in a couple of Hyrtlii, Can't consider putting them in the Tandanas tank because either one of them or the salmon tails have turned into murderous XXXXX

#353457 N. Hyrtlii

Posted by shayne on 05 July 2016 - 03:16 PM in ANGFA WA

Cruised past midland today they had one left as of 2 o'clock.

#353278 N. Hyrtlii

Posted by shayne on 28 June 2016 - 11:07 PM in ANGFA WA

Have they still only got 8cm ones? I want something about half that size.

There has been a slight variation in size but certainly not half, supposed to be a few coming in tomorrow might be worth a call EARLY [there not lasting long] and ask, not many people asking for smallest fish in the batch.

#353242 N. Hyrtlii

Posted by shayne on 27 June 2016 - 06:40 PM in ANGFA WA

Just letting people know Pet Magic Bibra still have a couple of Neo's and expecting a few more wednesday.

#353034 New Meber Oddballs

Posted by shayne on 19 June 2016 - 08:51 PM in Introduce Yourself !

I lean towards that opinion but as MM said side profile easier for a more positive id.

#353024 New Meber Oddballs

Posted by shayne on 19 June 2016 - 06:58 PM in Introduce Yourself !

Picked up 4 N. Hyrtlii from Bibra PM today, couple left on the list apparently.45$ As Leichardti said don't trust tandanus with others.Lost 2 tandanus this week to a big 1 turning nasty, more than a year of peace and harmony and then 2 14/ 15cm fat healthy fish stripped of their entire dorsal rays down to and including the tail. Research had told me aggression could be a problem but i thought i had bucked the odds, sadly for the fish they lost :( and a favourite patio tank will never be the same.If tandanus were cheaper i would probably be foolish enough to try it again but grade them to the same size, the 2 suspects are considerably bigger. Never seen a problem with my 2 N.Ater which are quite different sizes [ another tank] they only annoy their tank mates with their synchronised swimming efforts, not with each other like my salmon tails but with who ever takes their fancy. Hopeing the Hyrtlii live up to their rep as schooling fish.

Lei is right. Get rid of the Tandanus and get a Neosilurus. The two are chalk 'n' cheese. Wish I could find a 3 - 4cm one.

Or buy another tank :) They are both cool fish but different temperants.

#352917 Changing To Brackish

Posted by shayne on 15 June 2016 - 08:10 PM in Technical & Equipment

There are some populations found to inhabit many of the same areas as the native sooty grunter (trumpeter) in southern wa.
The sootys are very tolerant of fresh water, and same type of habitat types hang out,, so it seems ok to assume fresh is ok.
Good to employ a bit of sea salt though,,, keeps the pathogens and nasties from effecting fish as easy.

Am using saltwater purchased from a sponsor and going sloowwwly .

#352907 Changing To Brackish

Posted by shayne on 15 June 2016 - 04:22 PM in Technical & Equipment

you get it from brett?

I was gonna get it for one of my tanks, he said it was fairing well in full fresh.

Probably was Jules can't imagine to many around.Really should learn his name, so far he is that cool guy at the fish shop. He said a mate had expressed interest but hadn't got back. He had limited room and wanted to see his living conditions upgraded. He does appear to be ok in fresh but on the limited info i have so far i just feared it might not be good for him long term.. Amazing looking critter when i have to shake him of a sponge filter and convince myself he's still ok. Arches the dorsal and flexes his cheek spines, it would make a warthog think twice.Would like to know if fresh was good enough long term and think they would appeal to some oddball keepers.

#352875 Changing To Brackish

Posted by shayne on 14 June 2016 - 06:56 PM in Technical & Equipment

Thanks for the advice but i lean towards my ID. Haven't counted the dorsal fins or been brave enough to pat it and confirm scaleless skin. Has the cheek spines. I'm using an old museum published fish ID book and one by Swainston publishing.No tank mates as yet other than some unlucky shrimp  ;) .If i can make this work i might throw in a small trumpeter or even the much loathed blowfish.

Thanks MM, you know this new fangled computer stuff is beyond me.

#352871 Changing To Brackish

Posted by shayne on 14 June 2016 - 05:15 PM in Technical & Equipment

Thanks for the replies guys, am going to make the change slowly but with more confidence. Buccal the fish is i believe [best guess] a devil fish/ Gymnapistes marmoratus. A real oddball. I was telling some one about my recently acquired bullrout and they said i caught a western bullrout do you want it? No such thing i believe but i grabbed him anyway. Captured in the lowest reaches of the Swan and only ever water changed with fresh i'm told. Whilst he is still living i don't think this could be the best for him long term.Want to treat him well and the knowledge gained will help when my juvie Mono argents grow and need brackish. My other concern for this little guy will be maximum/minimum temps.Come summer if he needs a chiller he may be released or offered on here.

#352854 Changing To Brackish

Posted by shayne on 13 June 2016 - 08:28 PM in Technical & Equipment

Gday all, I want to change a 60ltr tank to upper level brackish and would like advice on how slowly/quickly,if at all  i can add the salt water and not knock out my established BB. Tank has thin layer of gravel and 2 well established sponge filters. Any advice on acclimating BB or even starting from the beginning welcome. Thankyou

#352805 Anyone Seen Anything A Bit Different Lately?

Posted by shayne on 11 June 2016 - 04:17 PM in Off The Wall

Put a deposit on some N.Hyrtlii today, really looking forward to having another specie of aussie catfish. :)

#352647 Anyone Seen Anything A Bit Different Lately?

Posted by shayne on 08 June 2016 - 06:00 PM in Off The Wall

Was browsing there today mate, 13 or 14 archers on display 35$ and a heap of sleepy's about 5cm? 11.95$ if i remember correctly. Its still eating at me.

#352644 Anyone Seen Anything A Bit Different Lately?

Posted by shayne on 08 June 2016 - 05:21 PM in Off The Wall

Were you tempted by the archers or sleepy cod at veba's MM? I am sorely tempted but suppressed my desire so far.Have quite enough to look after.

#352552 Tandanus

Posted by shayne on 05 June 2016 - 07:50 AM in ANGFA WA

Bit silly of me, forgot to state the pond is 2.2 metre diameter, depth 850mm.Thanks for the imput MM, and yes i grasped that boy/girl concept over 40 years ago :)

#352540 Tandanus

Posted by shayne on 04 June 2016 - 03:00 PM in ANGFA WA

Hello, was wondering if it would be remotely possible to breed tandanus in a 3000ltr pond [largest i currently have] if dedicated to 1 pair only? I think it is not big enough but any thoughts welcome. Cheers shayne

#352539 Anyone Seen Anything A Bit Different Lately?

Posted by shayne on 04 June 2016 - 02:04 PM in Off The Wall

Was probably a little to enthusiastic i got 4. Also picked up 6 silver scats and 2 mono argents [only 2 there,will look for a couple more] to go into a tank i'm planning for my neos and salmontails.

#352536 Anyone Seen Anything A Bit Different Lately?

Posted by shayne on 04 June 2016 - 12:39 PM in Off The Wall

I saw the livefish ones today but would rather buy them locally. Might be doing a mission to Pet Magic.
Minds still not made up though.

I bought some home from PM on thursday.Was concerned about their size and eating, nothing to worry about.They started smashing daphnia and mossie larvae while they were still in the bag getting acclimatised.Got excitement colours/patterns almost immediately, wish i had a camera. Both PM stores still have some as of this morning.Mine all still apparently happy and healthy.

#351936 Koi Herpes Virus

Posted by shayne on 09 May 2016 - 04:15 PM in Off The Wall

Dear bigjohnnofish, I was not trying to offend you. I tried to explain the principles/techniques used for eradication of invasive species. There is a big list of such species and they have been introduced intentionally or unintentionally by humans. You cannot comprehend the the damage they can these cause. This is plain and simple and not an insult. Based on your comments what damage they can cause and linking to recession. People at Csiro know what they are doing and done the research. I would advice you to read to some textbooks on ecology and biotechnology, before you make any more comments. You are insulting yourself with your comments that clearly show you have no understanding of this issue and just want to be scared. The government did not introduce most of the invasive species but early settlers did. Cane toads were an exception but that was done with inadequate research.

Weren't cane toads introduced by by the QLD sugar board AGAINST the advice of CSRIO?

#351912 Koi Herpes Virus

Posted by shayne on 07 May 2016 - 06:34 PM in Off The Wall

Withdrawn cat comment.

#351829 May Pcs Meeting - Auction Night

Posted by shayne on 04 May 2016 - 07:31 PM in Monthly Meetings - Next Meeting Info

An unlikely looking English teacher.

#351121 Unheated Tandanus Tandanus

Posted by shayne on 08 April 2016 - 11:24 AM in Fish Health, Nutrition, Diseases & Pests

Thanks guys.

#351118 Free Frogbit

Posted by shayne on 08 April 2016 - 10:25 AM in Classifieds

Thanks heaps ronald, very healthy frogbit and such a generous serve. Very kind of you, cheers.