Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Substratum's Content

There have been 47 items by Substratum (Search limited from 01-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#354107 August Meeting - Auction & Agm - New Venue

Posted by Substratum on 25 July 2016 - 09:54 PM in Monthly Meetings - Next Meeting Info

Hi There.

Just wanted to check what the expected finish time is. The last time I came to one of these it went to nearly 1am....

#354424 August Meeting - Auction & Agm - New Venue

Posted by Substratum on 03 August 2016 - 01:01 PM in Monthly Meetings - Next Meeting Info

Well after buying the first batch of chocolate shrimp at a premium for the charity bid i had to make sure the others reached a fair price...

#359135 Sold.

Posted by Substratum on 31 January 2017 - 05:27 AM in Classifieds

No stand.

I'm back home tonight so can post a pic then.

Pic win't really do it justice as there is lots of moss for them to breed in. There are a few crypts and other bits. There are 2 x caves for the bristle noses.

A good breeding tank really.

#359022 Sold.

Posted by Substratum on 27 January 2017 - 06:55 PM in Classifieds

Thanks for that. I always get that wrong.

#359014 Sold.

Posted by Substratum on 27 January 2017 - 12:46 PM in Classifieds

To all the shrimp fans out there I have a 2ft tank with a heal;thy colony of CRS and CBS shrimp which are breeding (approximately 30+ at the moment with a bunch of ninja shrimp (100+) with a breeding longfin bristle nose and normal bristle nose (so you get 50/50 mix) for sale.

The tank comes with built in light,  1 x canister filter (small eheim one that goes in the tank) and 2 x sponge filters and 1 x dual output pump. The tank is full of plants and has nice driftwood.

Super easy to look after (no RO water or the like).

High grade CRS and CBS (ie not the pure striped one but the stop sign and tiger tooth variety.

Will post pictures soon but looking for around $200 for the lot.

reluctant sale but moving overseas in a few months and want to make sure this goes to a nice home.

#359202 Sold.

Posted by Substratum on 01 February 2017 - 11:31 AM in Classifieds

yep.

I PM'd you the pics.

Nic.

#359676 Sold.

Posted by Substratum on 16 February 2017 - 02:56 PM in Classifieds

bump.

Just found that I have managed to breed back to the original white bloodline. Have 2 x white or golden bee shrimp in the tank now.

#360220 Sold.

Posted by Substratum on 09 March 2017 - 12:30 PM in Classifieds

Sorry sold.

#359736 Sold.

Posted by Substratum on 18 February 2017 - 09:54 AM in Classifieds

If someone just wants the shrimp you can have the plant but for now the shrimp need the plants.

#357176 Finally Happy With My Tank.....

Posted by Substratum on 28 November 2016 - 03:29 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

For this I have the following:

1: Iron Substrate.

2: CO2 with computer controlled dosing.

3: every 2 days dose with Excel (CO2)

4: Dino dung solid ferts placed all over the shop

5: 2 x weekly dose of generic liquid fert (usually have seaChem but ran out and have Aquaplus or something)

6: 2 x weekly dose of SeaChem Flourish

7: 2 x weekly dose of SeaChem Iron

I do a water change every 2 weeks if the fish are lucky - I never have any issues with Nitrate (don't need to do weekly even with the high load)

I keep an eye on the Carbonate hardness and try and keep it at 6 to get enough CO2 from auto doser.

Also keep an eye on Phosphates and dose to get rid of them as and when required.

for lighting I have 2 x LED banks on the top which I got from Aquotix (Can't remember the brand but they were arounbd $130-150 each).

I have 1 x EHEM 2228 and 1 x EHEIM 2226 under the hood which if anyone wants to clean them on a monthly basis will end up with 100+ Ninja shrimp and prolly a few chocolate and red/black rilli shrimp.

That's about it. Pretty low maintenance to be honest.

Nic.

#359015 Finally Happy With My Tank.....

Posted by Substratum on 27 January 2017 - 12:48 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

This tank is now for sale as I am moving overseas.

Would any one like to make an offer (all considered).

at least 

$1k in plants.

$1k in filters and CO2

$1k in fish

$2k in set up

$500 in shrimp

I want this to go to a good home.

#357411 Finally Happy With My Tank.....

Posted by Substratum on 05 December 2016 - 11:22 AM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Got a better photo of the tank. I was supposed to enter this in the photocomp but somehow it didn't attach. grrrr.....

Attached Images

• Photocomp---My-Tank.jpg

#357108 Finally Happy With My Tank.....

Posted by Substratum on 25 November 2016 - 04:01 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

I never got around to doing a journal on this one and after seeing Delapools on the forum I should have as it has created so much chatter.

I'm finally happy with where it is after 3 years of growth and a final replant and scape.

Well here is my 3ft tank. All real plants. Lots of L-series (L66, L270, L398), shrimp, chain loach, bristle noses etc etc. Far too many fish for the tank (30+) but with all the plants it seems to work fine.

Nic.

Attached Images

• tank.JPG

#357111 Finally Happy With My Tank.....

Posted by Substratum on 25 November 2016 - 07:43 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

So I'd be happy with any advice/criticism on the layout and structure of the tank. What I've personally tried to do is create a central feeding area that will allow for good viewing of rare fish and the remainder of the time I get to enjoy a nicely "rule of thirds" landscaped tank. The photo doesn't show how the bit on the right actually graduates down nicely as it appears that the larger purple crypts extend up and ruin the dynamic....

The entire back of the tank is covered in plants from Java ferns to the Java tridents and has all sorts of shrimp which breed like nobodies business in there. So much fun watching them.

Ironic thing is that I may be moving overseas soon so this will all be up for sale. Prolly 1k worth of plants alone :(

Phg well. It seems that having fish tanks is as expensive as having a hobby that involves hotting up cars....

#357113 Finally Happy With My Tank.....

Posted by Substratum on 25 November 2016 - 08:17 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

100+ easy.

There are 5 variants in there. Gives the "hedge" some stratification.

Oh.

I love crypts.

Nic.

#351053 Poor Plant Health - With Pictures.

Posted by Substratum on 05 April 2016 - 05:38 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Craig.

That link tells me to put in 31mL of Flourish 2-4 times a week to maintain 0.5ppm of Fe.

I use just under 5ml 2 times a week as that is what is says on the container...

Not sure if that index is right or not.

When utilising the index for Flourish Fe it tells me to use 10mL whereas the container says 5mL

seems excessive again!

Nic.

#350985 Poor Plant Health - With Pictures.

Posted by Substratum on 03 April 2016 - 06:22 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Hey all.

Thanks for the repplies. Co2 must be ok as it is keeping 7.4ph water at 7 so it is definately dosing.

Envy is not cheap you are right but i am a tad lazy. If i was going to dry ferts what would you recommend?

I'm not dosing with potassium. I would have thought my generic fertilizer would have it. I will check tonight when home.

The lights are new. 2xled lights which aquotix recommended.

I got a pm saying that the moss stuff could be from over fertilizing. Argh.

Not sure what to do...

#350950 Poor Plant Health - With Pictures.

Posted by Substratum on 02 April 2016 - 02:25 PM in Community and Planted Tank Discussion

Hi All.

I'm finding that some of  my crypts and lotus's are not in 100% health at the moment. I've continuously battled this type of "melt" (which it might just be) and was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to beat it?

As you can see there are holes and yellowing in the crypts and lotus leaves.

I'm running C02 set to PH = 7 which is correct for my 5PPM hardness (or whatever it is).

I dose 2 x per week with Flourish , 2 x week with Envy and 1 x per week with Flourish Iron

I'm dosing slightly under recommended amount for a 200L tank (mine is 200L without junk in it).

I've shown what the tank looks like overall and then some closeups of the most affected plants.

Also if anyone can shed light on what the really fine "java moss" looking thing is at the back on the actual java moss and how to get rid of it it would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Images

• Plant.jpg
  • Plant-01.jpg
  • Plant-02.jpg
  • Plant-03.jpg

#360746 Fs : 3Ft Tank With Stand And Rock Backdrop - $125

Posted by Substratum on 28 March 2017 - 04:46 PM in Classifieds

Price Drop $100

#360248 Fs : 3Ft Tank With Stand And Rock Backdrop - $125

Posted by Substratum on 10 March 2017 - 12:54 PM in Classifieds

Price Drop $150

#360507 Fs : 3Ft Tank With Stand And Rock Backdrop - $125

Posted by Substratum on 19 March 2017 - 12:49 AM in Classifieds

Price drop $125

#355282 Ninja Shrimp

Posted by Substratum on 12 September 2016 - 02:27 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

So I guess ninja shrimp can turn blue?

Blue-Shrimp.JPG

#355332 Ninja Shrimp

Posted by Substratum on 15 September 2016 - 02:56 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

I feel mean culling shrimp. They are little animals. Plus this one is in my main display tank. No way am I going to be able to get them all..

On a side note. Can CRS shrimp and Golden Bee's breed with each other?

I've got them in a tank together and I have noticed that the CRS shrimp are bearing either poorer quality CRS's or have got a bit of golden bee in them]

Nic.

#355289 Ninja Shrimp

Posted by Substratum on 12 September 2016 - 04:42 PM in Photo Album & Photography Discussion

I've seen them go black (with the brown stripe along the top) but never blue....

I'm so annoyed I got the eyes slightly out of focus. Would of been a cracker shot.

#360221 Fs : 3Ft Tank With Stand And Rock Backdrop - $125

Posted by Substratum on 09 March 2017 - 12:31 PM in Classifieds

anyone?

this is a bargain.