Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

BlackHomunculus's Content

There have been 10 items by BlackHomunculus (Search limited from 01-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#367881 Wtb: Murray Cod

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 25 February 2021 - 09:09 AM in Classifieds

Golden ponds also has some for about $18

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#367860 Native Threatened And Endangered Fish Breeding

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 21 January 2021 - 11:04 AM in Articles

Hello Everyone, I have an idea and i'm very keen to go through with it. I'm planning on capturing some threatened and endangered species of native freshwater fish, crustaceans and molluscs. I'm setting up a large breeding rack in my shed and my plan is to mass breeding all these fauna and release them into nearby waterways where they once lived. As alot of people know, fish like salamandroides once lived further north of where they are now and I would like to be able to see these fish in local creeks and ponds as they once did. Of course, every fish would be treated for parasites and illnesses a few weeks prior to being released. Is this a good idea or am I missing something crucial?
Thanks
-Kye Philippe

#367673 Wtb: Tandanus

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 04 May 2020 - 07:47 AM in Classifieds

If you want a tandanus than there's a species native to hear you can catch. Check DWERs website for some locations

#367655 Nightfish

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 05 April 2020 - 07:16 PM in Forum FAQ, Hints, Tips & Problems

Hi Malawiman85, I just visited your suggested location. I sadly didn't catch the nightfish I was after. There was however an abundance of differant species including Carter's freshwater mussel, swan river gobys, mosquito fish, pygmy perch and pearl cichlids. I only found 1 pygmy perch which was very worrying to me and the nightfish seem to have just disappeared, I dont know if its because of the cichlids but I think it might be, however it did get much deeper than the places I was searching which could explain it. I appreciate the help everyone and i will continue my search until I finally find this amazing and elusive fish :)

#367648 Nightfish

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 19 March 2020 - 09:52 PM in Forum FAQ, Hints, Tips & Problems

End of Ellenbrook Drive... Google maps it... good easy access.
attachicon.gifCB2E53AB-9A20-43C2-A652-DB4D4F49262D.jpeg

Thanks [emoji106] I hope I catch one
And the attachment you sent, I don't know how to view it so I'm hoping your looking at the same place as me [emoji23]

#367646 Nightfish

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 18 March 2020 - 10:40 AM in Forum FAQ, Hints, Tips & Problems

Hey guys, I'm heading up to ellenbrook to look for nightfish. What lake do yous find em?

#367644 Nightfish

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 16 March 2020 - 07:15 PM in Forum FAQ, Hints, Tips & Problems

Speaking from experience, I agree.

I won't catch any than since I don't have any experience with keeping them and I don't want to accidentally kill em

If anyone can send me a link to how to care for them that I could study, i would really appreciate it. I'm building I large pond and if I could keep them with no problems than I would love to stock it with some since they are pretty cool fish [emoji16]

#367639 Nightfish

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 13 March 2020 - 08:21 AM in Forum FAQ, Hints, Tips & Problems

Galaxiella munda is found between Margaret River and Two Peoples Bay, in shallow streams and occasionally seasonal pools. An outlier population exists in the Moore River. They're a little difficult to catch, you'll have to sit there and watch for them, once you see them before you swipe at them with your net.

Galaxiella nigrostriata is found between Augusta and Walpole, with outlier populations in several locations. They occur almost exclusively seasonal swamps and pools. In small enough pools, they can be caught by driving a fine net through, and depending on the time of year, you'll catch loads. Otherwise, use the same technique as G. munda.

Both species only live between 12 to 24 months and require soft, acidic water, tap-water isn't recommended. As they are both threatened species, not only will you need to be cautious of rangers but also justify your illegal fishing by trying to breed them once you get them home :)

Are you aloud to breed and sell them?

#367637 Nightfish

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 12 March 2020 - 03:58 PM in Forum FAQ, Hints, Tips & Problems

My time to shine :D

Nightfish are widely distributed across southwest WA, but within Perth, they're restricted to the upper reaches of rivers, think the Hills, or as malawiman85 said, the Ellen Brook area. I'm not too familiar with the Dawesville area, check it out this snazzy little website (http://freshwater.fish.wa.gov.au/) :). Juveniles are in abundance around spring, you'll catch more fish at night, by sweeping a scoop net through vegetation. Down south, they're quite common, especially in seasonal pools that dry out in summer, those pools are full of other native fish species too. I headed down south not too long ago and the pools at one site were full of baby nightfish. Unfortunately, most of them died on the way home, which is weird, because they usually handle transport well.

I've caught nightfish in the Moore and Canning rivers, plus a few more down spots south.

In regards to your tank, a large nightfish (they can get up to 15cm in length) will definitely eat your pygmy perch and also galaxias around the same length as the nightfish. I'd say a 1m tank is ideal only for a small group of nightfish in the long term. They'll eat anything smaller than themselves, including fish, shrimp and moulting crayfish, and anything bigger than themselves will be too big for the tank you have. A 6ft tank would be a perfect sized predator tank for nightfish and also large galaxias, a 4ft tank is also feasible but might be pushing it, in my opinion. Also, galaxias will get too big for a 1 meter tank, I'd say 4ft is ideal for small to medium sized galaxias up to 10cm long. They'll reach 15-20cm when fully grown. Galaxiella sp. are another kind of galaxiid that are much smaller than Galaxias sp. and will definitely go in a 1m tank with pygmy perch, no problem. Only problem is that they'd be wiped out by a single nightfish. Plus they're illegal to take from the wild, but that's another can of worms ;)

Good luck catching them :)

How and where do you catch Galaxiella sp?

#367632 Nightfish

Posted by BlackHomunculus on 11 March 2020 - 11:27 AM in Forum FAQ, Hints, Tips & Problems

Hi, I want to stock a 1meter aquarium with pygmy perth, western galaxias and a nightfish. But how do you catch nightfish??