Royal Whiptail Spawn (pic's)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2003 - 05:37 AM

Hi All,

Thought I'd share some pic's I've taken from a recent Royal whip (Sturisoma sp.) spawn.

Dad with eggs.

Whips approx 1 week old.

Whips 2 weeks old, shortly after being released into a tank.

Whips just over 3 weeks old.

Edited by: Tammy Brisbane at: 10/11/03 9:40 pm

#2 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2003 - 08:55 AM

Tammy fantastic photos :good

Its always good to see other peoples fish and them breeding :)

#3 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2003 - 03:40 PM

Thanks Scott :good

#4 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2003 - 05:46 PM

Congrats Tammy,

Those youngsters are comming along nicely. Of all the sturisoma species, Royals (S. panamense ???) are the most frustrating of things to raise. The newly hatched fry are too lazy too get out of thier own way let alone go looking for something to eat. Food has to be right under thier noses before they are even interested.

Then thier digestive tract has to be kick started or they starve even though they are eating.

On top of this they are intolerant of crook water! You must have really put an effort into those babies for them to loking so good at three weeks.

Good one :good

:cheers

Alan

#5 crashfragment

crashfragment
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2003 - 08:14 PM

very nice tammy:good
fantastic looking adult and babys.
-shaun

------------------
www.butterflyeffect.com.au/news.html

#6 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2003 - 11:15 PM

Thanks Guys :good

Yeah getting these guys to eat can be a bit of challenge they don't go looking for food like bristle nose.
Was a little concerned when I first put them in the 2x18x18 they seemed a little lost because the food wasn't right under their nose and they weren't going out of their way to look for any. Then a few days on they finally got the idea and have been doing well since.

Tammy

#7 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 13 October 2003 - 12:36 AM

Excellent pics as always Tammy.. :)

How about some more details RE food and spawning etc for both the adults and the fry - for those of us wishing to try these beauties ourselves.. ;)

Visit the:
Perth Cichlid Society Forums

#8 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2003 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Vincent :good

The parents are fed a diet mainly of algae wafers, pellet foods, lettuce, pea's, pumpkin, etc.
With good water and diet they spawn with out too much trouble.

Once the fry have hatched I siphon them into a tub with a bit of wood for them to munch on and cant forget the snails for gut bacteria and a bit of gravel from a established tank, also started using a bit of duck weed in the fry tubs.

I've been feeding the fry blanched lettuce which they seem to be doing well on and a small amount of pumpkin now they are a little older and some HBH spirulina pellets.

Tammy

#9 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2003 - 05:26 PM

Sorry was a little vague with the details.

Tank stats

Temp 25.C
pH 7.0
GH 80ppm
KH 30ppm

I also forgot to mention keeping the water well aerated for the fry.
They don't seem to mind the strong current either.

Tammy

#10 wazzablunt

wazzablunt
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2003 - 07:09 PM

What sized tank were the parents in?

wazza
wwblunt@tpg.com.au
Wahroonga, NSW

#11 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2003 - 10:50 PM

Tank size 2x18x16high (3x2x16 divided in half) probably a bit small for an adult pair of Royals, although these guys seem happy enough.

And to add a bit more, the spawning site doesn't have to be anything special they will spawn on most flat surfaces, slate, tank sides, base etc, this pair like spawning on the base of the tank.

Tammy

#12 wazzablunt

wazzablunt
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2003 - 03:37 AM

so they dont need caves, just a flat surface! cool! is this the same with common whiptails?

wazza
wwblunt@tpg.com.au
Wahroonga, NSW

#13 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2003 - 04:52 AM

Struisoma sp. panamense/aureum (Royals whips) and Struisoma barbatum (Long nose whips) all like to spawn on flat surfaces, not in caves.
Common whips (Rineloricaria sp.? not sure they are still known by this genera?) are different again well at least some of them I'm not sure about all the Rineloricaria species.
These guys like spawning in pipes (bamboo works well).
Some of the Rineloricaria sp. have green eggs, which is quite a sight the first time you see them especially if you didn't know they had green eggs. lol

Btw. Anyone know the genus of the common whiptails we have here??

Also forgot to mention water changes for the fry while they are still in the tubs. :o
It doesn't take too long for the soggy lettuce to turn the water off in the tubs so I change at least 60-80% of their water a day which is replaced with water from the parents tank, which is then topped up with fresh water.

Tammy

Edited by: Tammy Brisbane at: 10/13/03 9:43 pm

#14 enigma too

enigma too
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:10 AM

well done tammy :good

how big and how old are the fry now?

i think the Rineloricaria sp. is now Hemiloricaria sp.

i bred this so called common whiptail (Hemiloricaria sp.). from about 50+ down to 15 fry now (dying one by one everyday untill they got to 2cm i think). the hardest thing is to get them to eat :o not very active catfish, nothing compare to bristlenose :b the biggest one is 3.5cm.

parents pics

fry pics

#15 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 October 2003 - 06:32 PM

Thanks enigma,

Well done, great pic's :good
Did you have any probs with the eggs not sticking to the pipe? They look well stuck in the pic.

Their now 2.5-3cm at 4 weeks old (from time of hatching).
I moved some of their younger siblings (2 weeks old) into the 2x18 with them last night will probably move the others in there over the next few days.

Their spawning pretty regular atm, first spawn hatched 18-9-03 (didn't write down the date of spawn, prob around the 12-9-03) second spawn 25-9-03 then another spawn yesterday.
Be fast running out of room at this rate. lol

Tammy

#16 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2003 - 09:05 PM

I have 2 adult whiptail that I bought a year ago. I don't know how to tell if they are male or female. Is there an easy way of identifying the sex. How old before they breed?

#17 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:17 PM

Hi ikan,

If you bought them a year ago they should be mature.
They are fairly easy to sex when mature the males developed cheek bristles, the females are plumper and not as long in the body as the males, this is for royal whiptails anyway.

Tammy

#18 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2003 - 06:44 PM

I checked the whiptails last night and they don't have any bristles on their cheek. They are both females. I am looking for a male now but my LHS only sell a small ones, too small to tell the sex.
Thank Tammy.

#19 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:50 PM

What sort of whips are they ikan ?? Don't look for cheek bristles unless they are sturisoma species (longnose or royals).
Common whiptails, Hemiloricaria sp (old name Rineloricaria or Loricaria) don't get cheek bristles.

Look at the commons from above, males have a more rounded, shovel shaped head and taper from just behind the head (pectoral fins) to the caudal. Females have a more pointy, arrow shaped snout and are wider behind the pectorals than thier head. This is evident to the experienced eye even in young half grown fish. And, at over a year old they should have rounded tummies if females and flat if males.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Edited by: Alan Caboolture at: 11/11/03 2:59 pm

#20 ikan

ikan
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2003 - 11:07 PM

I remembered I bought them from Veba's about a year ago as royal whiptail. They are about 20 cm long now.
They are not the common or longnose whiptail. I actually looking at buying common whiptail last time. I think they usually has brighter/lighter brown with different shape?
I just added some blackwater extract to the tank so it's a bit hard to take picture of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users