Photo

Ancistrus var

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PHL0703

PHL0703
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:55 AM

What varieties of Ancistrus (or Bristlenose) are available in Australia? What species is the so called "common" bistlenose? I also have one which was refered to as a "Banjo" bristlenose, and wonder what species that is (wider body that sharply tapers off past the dorsal fin, so the tail section is thinner than the common BN).

#2 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2003 - 04:25 AM

The only Banjo bristle nose I'm aware of here in Aus is a mutant of a common bristle nose.
I didn't know they were still getting around.

Tammy

#3 PHL0703

PHL0703
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2003 - 05:34 AM

In what way were they mutants? The larger body? There were quite a few in the shop I got mine from a while ago, so they must be breeeding true to type.

#4 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2003 - 06:13 AM

Yes someone must be breeding them, if I remember rightly they were said to have come from Melbourne.

#5 aurea23

aurea23
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2003 - 06:19 AM

I think the "banjos" are deformed normal bristlenose bred to be shorter in the body...

Mike

Michael's Web Page

#6 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:00 AM

So "Banjos" are still beeing flogged off around the place.

Gee I thought they went out the window a couple of years back. Put them in the same basket as "Balloon Mollies" etc etc

#7 PHL0703

PHL0703
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2003 - 04:20 AM

Quote:
So "Banjos" are still beeing flogged off around the place.

Gee I thought they went out the window a couple of years back. Put them in the same basket as "Balloon Mollies" etc etc

What do you mean? That they are not truely different, that they are just variants or that they are a variant, but should be costed the same as the normal BN?

#8 crashfragment

crashfragment
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 October 2003 - 03:19 AM

could the "banjo bristlenose" be ancistrus ranunculus?
i haven't seen one [banjo], so i'm just making a guess. i know ranunculus are present in australia, could they be one and the same?
-shaun

#9 Link 2 Hell

Link 2 Hell
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2003 - 05:12 AM

The fish that were originally sold as "Banjo bristlenose" were common form that had vertabrae shortage so they looked compressed
These fish looked nothing like true A.ranunculus see the links
Ranunculus pic 1
Ranunculus pic 2
Ranunculus pic 3
:cheers L2H

#10 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2003 - 05:47 PM

"Banjo" bristnose are definitely not Ancistrus ranunculus (Medusa pleco). A. ranunculus, L034, is one of the few Ancistrus species that can be positively and reliably identified by its size, colour, and characteristic bristles. A. ranunculus are in New Zealand but I have never seen or heard of them in Australia.

"Banjo" bristnose appeared in a couple of Melbourne LFS's some years ago and caused a huge uproar in aquarium circles.
If this deformity had appeared in cichlids, guppies, tetras or any other fish they would have been consigned to the compost heap or chook food. These freaks vanished from the scene for a few years but looks like they are back.

What frightens me is that this deformity is genetic. If it is a dominant gene then any accidental breeding with normal bristlenose can be easily seen and culled. However, if it is a recessive gene and there is an accidental spawn the deformity will not appear until the next generation and that is scary. The bristlenose gene pool here could be contaminated and we will never get rid of these freaks. ></span>:

That any reputable LFS would stock and sell these abominations disgusts me.

Alan

#11 crashfragment

crashfragment
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2003 - 02:18 AM

i was just guessing whether this fish might be a. ranuculus, i have never seen a "banjo" bristlenose before and was curious if they were one and the same.
i can assure you a. ranuculus are in australia, i don't know if there are any outside of melbourne.
one bristlenose deformity i have seen around here a-bit is a long-finned bristlenose variety. they look pretty horrible.
-shaun

#12 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2003 - 02:54 AM

Hi shaun,

You know if A. ranuculus are being bred here at all?

Tammy

#13 crashfragment

crashfragment
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2003 - 02:56 AM

i know a few people are trying to breed them. haven't heard of any spawnings yet...
-shaun

------------------
www.butterflyeffect.com.au/news.html

#14 PHL0703

PHL0703
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2003 - 03:51 AM

It's definitely not an A. Ranunculus; I wonder if it's actually recessive, as there were quite a few in the shop I saw them in. If they breed true, then they are a new species.

The body shape is quite different from the normal one, unless it's because being shortened, they are actually older than those BN of the same length, as the body is 50% wider than a BN of the same length.

#15 Tammy Brisbane

Tammy Brisbane
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2003 - 06:04 AM

You would think with the numbers showing up they must be breeding true. I wouldn't call them another species though just another morph??

Tammy

#16 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2003 - 06:25 AM

Not a new species PHL, just a geneticly deformed ordinary bristle nose. That is what is so scary! If that trait accidently gets into the normal bristle nose gene pool we are in big strife. I can't tell you to get rid of a freak fish you paid good money for, but for goodness sake, don't breed from the blasted thing.

Alan

#17 PHL0703

PHL0703
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:36 AM

Fair enough; it's in my GF tank on algae duty by itself, so that's fine.

#18 Link 2 Hell

Link 2 Hell
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:27 AM

Hi Guys
I can asure you that A.ranunculus are in the country sorry that my pics on the links aren't real flash but they are of the fish that are here and you only have to look at the bristles thick and horizontal to note the difference let alone the body colour of slate grey with no blotching

There has been no breeding activity as yet that I know of, but like most things related to catfish you have to be patient when theres next to no info to work with

I'm starting to wonder if the quoted 20cm max size for them is true .......... waiting, waiting, waiting

#19 Link 2 Hell

Link 2 Hell
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:28 AM

Hi Guys
I can asure you that A.ranunculus are in the country and have been for a while now, sorry that my pics on the links aren't real flash but they are of the fish that are here and you only have to look at the bristles thick and horizontal to note the difference let alone the body colour of slate grey with no blotching

There has been no breeding activity as yet that I know of, but like most things related to catfish you have to be patient when theres next to no info to work with

I'm starting to wonder if the quoted 20cm max size for them is true .......... waiting, waiting, waiting

#20 Guest_Alan Caboolture_*

Guest_Alan Caboolture_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:31 PM

Hey Chris,

That medusas are in Aus is good news just I have not heard of or seen any. According to my US and European contacts, once they start breeding they are a dead set doodle.

Sven (Denmark) has several pair in 3x2x2 tanks, so I assume they get to be fair lumps of fish. I will have to ask how big his are. He has admitted that he feeds white worms and brine shrimp tho, is a bit cagey on other details tho like temp and water parameters. I will continue to nag him ;)

Alan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users