Photo

Deformed Fish In The Hobby

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

I went to a few shops on the weekend (Not going to name names) and noticed quite a few deformed fish in the tanks,  These deformities were quite noticeable and not just on young fish but large adults as well.

Has it become an acceptable thing in the hobby now?
I cant say I remember seeing so many around a few years back.

I can honestly say in the time I worked at Midland I tried to never have deformed fish for sale. They would end up as cannon fodder for the RTC or Helicopter.

Are people keeping deformed fish at home as well?

Its not a good thing IMO to have such fish in the hobby and they should be culled.

Please don't ask for the shops names as I wont say!

#2 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

I can understand if some of the smaller shops get a shipment and 60% are deformed, they need to sell them to make a profit.  In these times, shops are looking to sell and not to cull so they can survive.  Just my thoughts after talking to the owner of a LFS on saturday.   

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

I can't understand that logic Extend, if you sell deformed fish you will get a bad reputation, this applies to the supplier as well. I totally agree AZ, not a good look seeing deformed or dying fish in a tank, it's a reflection on the shop it's self.

#4 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

I don't think it's because it's acceptable, i think it'd due to a lack of education.  I've had arguments with people when I tell them their fish are deformed simply because they honestly believe the fish is 100%

At the moment, I think there is a deformed fish for sale on the PCS FB page. I've informed the seller it is deformed in the past but she thinks that's how they should look...

#5 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

Not a valid reason if buying from a quality wholesaler. We certainly see our share of deformities, but can claim a credit from the suppliers so they are usually culled or sold as feeders. Some fish have damage related deformity rather than birth type, these are sometimes still sold, but cheap & are no risk if bred from.
  • Fox likes this

#6 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:27 AM

If your stock comes from a supplier and it is deformed, Most suppliers would refund you or credit your account.
From memory A.I & Cairns marine were the only two companies that required photo evidence. but in saying that i guess if it was a large dollar amount Im sure most suppliers would want a few pics.

IMO if you have a deformed fish whether your a shop or personal, it should never be bred, sold or given to someone who will breed with it.

#7 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

I can understand if some of the smaller shops get a shipment and 60% are deformed, they need to sell them to make a profit.  In these times, shops are looking to sell and not to cull so they can survive.  Just my thoughts after talking to the owner of a LFS on saturday.   

Surely A pet shop is not the one that wears the cost for receipt of deformed fish. Surely the provider is the responsible party.

#8 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

I have a small albino red Oscar (15cms) that l bought from a LFS, a little deformed lip and tiny bit on his fins.
But in all he's still a nice looking fish, in saying that I will never breed it and if it did they would be culled. And l defiantly would not sell or even give away a deformed fish unlikely a pcs member has done to me in the past (not naming the person).

#9 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have a kigoma with a deformed mouth, looks like it's smiling. I feed all the deformed ones to the Saratoga and p bass but I can't bring myself to chuck in the little fronny..

#10 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

One question I have, where do we draw the line between deformed fish and line bred trait like short body, long fin etc.
Why are some deformities accepted as a trait and some frowned upon and given a brick?

#11 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

different people, different lines Ronny :)

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

Some deformities aren't apparent until the fish puts on some size

#13 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

One question I have, where do we draw the line between deformed fish and line bred trait like short body, long fin etc.
Why are some deformities accepted as a trait and some frowned upon and given a brick?

A good example of this is the "Neon Spot", I was once told someone here in WA bred the short dorsal fin into the species. Why? I have no idea. A really stupid thing to do.
I got a hold of quite a few from here and East & I tried to breed the short dorsal fin out of this species and had some success but it would start to throw back some here and there.
The ones that did got culled, I havent seen them around lately so maybe the line has been lost to the hobby.

Personally I dont like any deformity, But I know some look for them and feel sorry for them and keep them. Many customers would complain if they saw me feeding the big fish at Mido with deformed fish.
Why not give them a chance as well I was asked.... I then would explain to them that some people may breed from them for money which isnt ideal.

Most animals would cull their own if they had them in their litter/brood etc etc.

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Those balloon fish are horrible looking

Balloon rams, mollies etc.

#15 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

1 of my 2 albino longfins has a dent just behind its head will never be breeding quality but still a loved pet xD

#16 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Totally agree with you Jason, Horrible looking fish, the original fish is an amazing looking species.

But now i have to ask myself...... Are longfins a deformity???? (Line bred, I know ;) ) I actually dont mind the LF BN's.... So am I being someone who lives in a glass house????

#17 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hmmmmmm... I really like albino longfin bristlenose catfish..........

#18 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

i wouldn't say longer fins is a deformity anything to do with the facial structure / mouth or body shape / backbone / gill shape Is Tho

• Fox likes this

#19 extend

extend
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

I can't understand that logic Extend, if you sell deformed fish you will get a bad reputation, this applies to the supplier as well. I totally agree AZ, not a good look seeing deformed or dying fish in a tank, it's a reflection on the shop it's self.

I'm not talking about all out deformity's, more things like tetras and fighters with a small crook in the back or might be stunted.  They don't actually cost all that much, the deformity is not all that noticeable and people aren't going to breed them in a hurry.  Its worse if fish like firemouths, electric blues or calvus are deformed because they are readily bred by alot of people and grow much larger. 

• Fox likes this

#20 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

I personally cull any deformed fish I see amongst fry/juvies in my tanks. But only if the deformity is from birth (genetic) and not due to accidents/fighting.

I would not expect a specialty aquarium shop to sell obviously deformed fish, as their staff should know better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users