Photo

Cichlid Color Enhancing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

I would REALLY love to see some experiments done on this with some easy to breed cichlids with two lots in a partitioned tank, half being fed on NLS and the other half on 100% white crane and see the difference made over 6 months in colour and health. And then have them both go onto a standard cichlid pellet to check for colour fade/condition loss. All photographed and logged.

It would be so interesting to see the results and finally put all of these theorys to rest, I have read SO MANY different threads and heard so many differing opinions regarding colour enhancing food and all of them are bloody different.

Surely someone has got a spare tank or two and some spare fish in their fish room!?

#22 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

There is nothing to prove or test. The g is the only true color enhancer that will color any Malawi cichlid regardless of age and sex.
Two posts ago, was mentioned it turns females to males, it certainly does not. To be precise it makes females appear like males. The reproductive organs remain the same. Another fallacy (fish won't breed again once of it) they certainly do breed again once it exits their systems. The only time they won't breed again is solid long term use of g that causes liver damage. You get two 4cm red empress and feed one g and it will be glowing in three days. The one on quality foods won't change until natural color begins at maturity. This outcome is definete for shore and absolutely positively. This topic keeps going in circles. The only way to look at white crane is to not consider it as a food because nutrition wise it's very poor. But look at it as your tool (30% off diet) to color to the max to unbelievable brightness your all male display or all male looking display. It's garbage it shouldn't be endorsed as we are blessed with options.
I have monster 5-9 yr old Malawi display fish fed on 30% g in diet and healthy as. If you never used it and you try it, you will be overwhelmed. Feed fish 100% super g for one week solid, then there on after feed 70% spectrum and 30% super g and it's a winner for display purposes. No trials needed, it's not a little difference it's a magical unbelievable difference.

#23 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Im gonna have to get some of this stuff and supplement it into my mangrove jacks diet and see what happens smile.gif

#24 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

It will do nothing for color to your jack. There is no fluorescence under the scales like that of the Malawi. With the jack the best you could do is deepen and make the orange or purple or marone or what ever morph it is, more vivid by using a astaxanthin based food. The minor but apparent enhancement will be long term for improvement. As the fish increases in growth a residual build up of astaxanthin will occur within the flesh and under the skin. Perfect example is Atlantic salmon (farmed) is loaded with astaxanthin for visual effect on flesh and mainly the antioxidant qualities of astaxanthin warding of disease and growth promotion. So, think of your jacks flesh pale pink with a film of glad wrap over it representing skin. Then think of the jacks flesh deep pink red with glad wrap over. This is how astaxanthin works but only the new tissue or flesh that grows with astaxanthin being fed is what does it. Very long time for existing flesh to color. Spectrum has a carotene type additive that works same as astaxanthin and will work well. But I believe the chilli red is actually pretty loaded with astaxanthin. That's why chilli red type foods are used on Americans and flower horns especially with great results(long term).
Astaxanthin based foods will INDUCE color on malawis from the antioxidant quality of health promotion. But it won't ENHANCE color.
People tend to get mixed up with the terms inducing and enhancing. A little bit like water resistant watches and water proof watches LOL

#25 Aquotix Aquariums

Aquotix Aquariums
  • Sponsor

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (fishking123 @ Aug 30 2012, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry to be a bring down but you hav the flash on what makes them look realy blue! they are not that blue in real life
just my 2 cents but nice fish biggrin.gif

Well, I took some more pics without the flash today - here is one of them... honestly, no flash (taken from and old Nokia Slide phone)

BTW - Buccal, good points..... Inducer not Enhancer....

#26 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

well like you said most (90%) have flash on ect.. but nice fish..

#27 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

When I compare the pics side by side, there is a difference - Flash brings the blue out more....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users