Photo

Barra

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

What is the warmest water that the trout will tolerate?

#22 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hey nick
what is the smallest you can get ? that would be ok for a tank

Would like to wacth them grow!

Regards Cobby

#23 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

im nbo expert nic but id say youve got yourself a yabbie there mate, marron have different looking claws to that - i may be wrong

#24 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Nah thats a maron biggrin.gif You can always tell maron by the horns on there head biggrin.gif You will find that yabbie are no where near that size and they tend not to have protruding horns or ridges on there head.
This guys is exporting them in denmark.
http://www.abc.net.a...ies/s294030.htm

Ok for the trout i think i can get you some small ones biggrin.gif make sure they have good filtration and airation.

Ok off the top of my head my tank atm is 7 deg and the most they can handle is 21 but don't forget you will hear "well mine are fine in 25" or stuff like that. Hey i can live in a 50 degree desert doesn't mean i am comfortable in it biggrin.gif Trout won't eat during summer so a tool that aquaculturists use is keep them alive in summer and then sell them in winter the weight gain is HUGE! not sure on the exact thing but they grow 5grams a day biggrin.gif Great for eating.

Oh and you all know they JUMP! and really big. Some people said they jump at the moon if they can see it :wink: So a cover is a good idea!

And trout are best kept with a few marron either blue or normal to eat waste and uneaten food.

#25 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

we used to have a maron farm and it looks like a blue yabbie nic just a very bright one the link you gave us thats a marron by the head and lumps but the one sitting on the tray i think is a yabbie bro sorry to say.

by looking at at you pick it the same as the blue yabbies we had just more blue, we had the old school natural ones you can tell by the eyes claws and the head and tail it looks like a blue yabbie (coonack) its totaly difrent from the marron you have give in the link.

im not having a go ! my grand father raised them for years befor and we raised them for over 20 years in 9 dams (bigger then an olympic swiming pools) and tanks and 3 smaller dams. we used to raise blue, green and black/red yabbies and red claw marron.

but in saying that since i have been in the south west i have seen what looks like to be yabbie marron cross breeds witch look simular to marron and yabbies and they do not grow any bigger the 8 mabe 10 cm and are slow growning i have kept some my self trying to figer out what they are and ended up getting rid of them.

they blue or green yabbies we used to rase used to get very large 15 cm and thick and we used to get marron as big or bigger then 1,25 coke bottles not the best eating but amazing in size my grand father has some mounted on plaques ill see if i can dig one up and take some pic,s for you as he is still settling into his new house ill have to go through all his boxes.

also the one you have posted has no spike in the middle of its claws hasnt got the horns on the head or the channels down the back and dont have the lumps and bumps on its head its a very smooth shell and the tail is difrent again its just a difrent type of yabbie more like a coonack.

have you been shown to sex them so you definatly know its a girl the male marron are lucky they have double the male bits then us guys lols double the fun 8O ??? and one male to 7 females lucky buggers 8O

#26 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

So the trout will not eat the marron like the barra?

Iwill try and find a photo i have of some trout i caught in NZ and se if i can work out how to post the Pics the largest rainbow was 5.6 kg
beautiful fish !! got a photo and let him or her go nice to eat but at that size let them go back ! not that hungry !

Regards Cobby laugh.gif

#27 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

have you been shown to sex them so you definatly know its a girl the male marron are lucky they have double the male bits then us guys lols double the fun ??? and one male to 7 females lucky buggers

To sex them you look at the knobs under there legs. biggrin.gif

Are you sure it is a coonack? The guy i did work exp has ones that where 25-30cm big they where huge! and in with his normal marron. Could they be a coonack but the slang name for them is Electric blue marron?

I can say it is 100% not a yabbie we had a blue yabbie and it lived for about 2 years and wasn't that big.

I am not to sure but if you ring Australian Aquaculture pty and speak to Brett O'Brien he can tell you exactly what kind they are biggrin.gif no need arguing with me i just got about 3 off him and he said they are blue marron which he has in with his giant normal marron.

Brett knows his stuff though, he introduced silver perch into WA and used to produce 3 tonnes of fish at his personal residence at one stage. This year alone he had 80% of WA's trout population 8O he even goes to china to consult on aquaculture biggrin.gif

#28 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

no worrie nic its a nice looking yabbie umm very blue

#29 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

Hey nic

thanks for the info mate (SORRY DID NOT MEAN TO TURN THIS INTO A ARGUMENT :cry: )

Regards Cobby

#30 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

laugh.gif

#31 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

i thought blue marron can grow up to 40cm
could a barramundi possibly eat that 8O

#32 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

Yep not a problem, if you goto Totally Tanked in Maddington you can see i think he is called "boof" or "Boof head". The tank is about 3 foot wide and 6 foot long (don't quote me) this barramundi is absolutely massive and i am sure if a marron was in there he would eat it biggrin.gif

But thats not even his mature size, once they grow gigantic they swim up the mouth of the river into salt where they become i think male or female. The barramundi are all males until one or two go out to sea where they become female and return later on or the other way around biggrin.gif

#33 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

Your right Nic, all Barra start off male then turn female later. That is why it is important to release the real big ones when fishing, if only it was that easy to get that point across to all fisherpersons.
cheers

#34 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:15 PM

Yeah but have you had a barra on the line? Those things put up such a fight and the thrill of the catch i can see why people might not want to give them up biggrin.gif

Also if you gave back all the really big ones then what would be left to catch, the biggest ones are the main goal. Thats how the limit comes into place, i may be wrong but it think it is only 1 or 2 barramundi a day.

#35 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

I know what you mean Nic, that was sort of what I meant, if people could just consider this when they have the 60cm ones why keep the 100cm as well, usually just to show it off, really. Lots of fish get wasted sitting in freezers until the next year people go north. I here shocking stories of people freighting fillets down, when the fishing is good. It is hopefully the minority, I agree the fisheries are managing the resource, better now.
Yes after 10 years in the Territory, I still own a block near Kakadu, I have caught hundreds of Barra and the thrill is there every time, and its hard to release, but I get enough satisfaction watching the big ones slowly kick their tail and slowly dive out of view to live on. Have also caught the nicest saratoga, purple/green/blue on every large scale, also released these fish but i must admit I always thought.....that would look great in a tank....hmmm
cheers
Glenn

#36 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

Oh yes if i caught a saratoga i wouldn't mind keeping it biggrin.gif

hey it would be the same as catching $150 biggrin.gif for a native fish i get quite angered they sell it for so much :roll:

I can get barramundi fingerlings for $1.50 each, i have to order 100 at a time but even if i only got 1 or 2 it might only be something line $3 each. Why should my LFS (not a pcs sponsor) charge something like $20 each??? 8O

You can goto any aquaculture farm in Perth and get 100 no need for importing nothing required, except shops may need something for re-sale. $17 profit per barramundi thats heaps!

#37 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:24 PM

Good deals there Nic. Gotta love the barra, problem is if you buy fingerlings by the time they are a foot they've cost heaps, they do love to eat. smile.gif Mine beat everything when it comes to feeding.
I have no idea what kind of saratoga they are special fish.....fight well too.
Cheers

#38 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:26 PM

They sell them as fingerlings at the local fish store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users