Photo

Nitrate Problems Please Help

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 KyleOvens

KyleOvens
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:17 AM

Read that last post that Syd gave you,,, read it over and over.
If your truly doing the correct regimes your saying, then the problem your saying you have just doesn't exist,,, I don't see any problem.
I've had many people seek advice from me, and just about every time that someone has tested their nitrates to be high, I've tested their water at half the nitrate readings,,,,, this is because of people's perception of color shades, crappy kits and a very common mistake by most is leaving the vial with water and indicator to sit to long which increases the final readings.
If your fish are showing no signs of stress, stop worrying.
Besides, you've got tank full of super hardy fish.
As Syd mentioned, harder water will reduce your limitations,,, get your KH and GH around 8 minimum.
If your not over feeding, not over stocked, no waiste build up in substrate, keep filter maintenance on time and water change weekly then every thing should remain in reasonable check.

Get a brand new api liquid test kit and test your water again and after you've added indicator wait for exactly one minute then read the color,,,,, and that's your true reading as best your going to get from a fresh test kit.
Wait a few more minutes and your readings will show your nitrates much higher which will not be accurate as it's the mistake your probably making right now.

I do use a good api test kit. And the fact that aquotixs test is coming up the same 80ppm means that I'm not reading colours wrong. And aquotixs have told me to wait 5 minutes after the test to get a true reading.

#22 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:56 AM

i reckon you're fish are simply getting larger and producing more waste, and the WC you were doing previously just isnt keeping up anymore.

fast growing plants like frogbit should help?

#23 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

I do use a good api test kit. And the fact that aquotixs test is coming up the same 80ppm means that I'm not reading colours wrong. And aquotixs have told me to wait 5 minutes after the test to get a true reading.

not saying this is related but...

http://www.perthcich...603#entry350719

#24 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

Will give the water a test again in a couple days because I heard that water conditioner can give false readings if tested less then 24 hours after being added

Do a test at home then take a sample to your LFS and they are happy to help you deal with over stocking as selling fish and food is their thing :)

#25 Maaxim

Maaxim
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

not saying this is related but...
http://www.perthcich...603#entry350719

Tell me what you want but getting this results after few 50 percent and one 80 percent water changes is not normal and I would also think the test is shyte...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 KyleOvens

KyleOvens
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

I haven't actually tested after the 80% water change was going to wait a few days first

#27 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

Mate API nitrate test... Bin the sucker! They can read way too high!
Unless your filters are chockers full of crap, I guarantee you dont have nitrates as high as the poxy test is telling you.

#28 KyleOvens

KyleOvens
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

Mate API nitrate test... Bin the sucker! They can read way too high!
Unless your filters are chockers full of crap, I guarantee you dont have nitrates as high as the poxy test is telling you.

I'm starting to think its not accurate after all the water changes it's still ready 40ppm better the 80ppm what it was saying before but I don't think the tank and filters could be any cleaner without causing damage to the tanks cycle

#29 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:22 AM

i reckon you're fish are simply getting larger and producing more waste, and the WC you were doing previously just isnt keeping up anymore. fast growing plants like frogbit should help?

this is most common with the nitrate problems, fish get bigger and waste is doubled or more.

#30 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

As MM said, Api are crap,, hah ha they are but funnily enough I use them,,,,, quite some time ago I had extensive tests done on my breed room aquariums, tap and bore water from the water board.
I actually included a water sample from my display aquarium also.

Now,,, when using a Api test kit, to equal the nitrate readings of my own tests to the water board tests, I had to wait 1.5 minutes till I read the color charts,,, if I waited longer, the rest would just read higher and higher the longer I waited.
Most other brands of test kits are just all over the place anyway.
Personally I just know, if I don't over feed, keep water changes up and keep up filter maintenance and and keep KH levels up, everything has to be in order regardless what the test says.

Edited by Buccal, 29 March 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#31 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

Just to add,,, if I read the vial test over a white sheet of paper under a bright crystal white daylight fluoro compared to holding up the vial under a screw in standard ceiling light,,, my eyes will read the test COMPLETELY different.

#32 KyleOvens

KyleOvens
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

So last night my larger canister filter broke, that's got me thinking maybe it hasn't been operating as well as it should of been and maybe that was the reason the nitrates were bad? Would this be the cause? Lucky I have a spare and I swaped all the old medial over to the new filter so will see how it goes!

#33 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:06 AM

I dont reckon. If filters munted you would have high ammo and nitrite rather than nitrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users