Photo

Mangrove Jacks

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'd try get a big heap of tandanus fingerlings, meant to taste magic.

#22 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

They sure do... i know of a "local pond" that is chockers with them too. Was on the fishieries plan to eradicate them though as they are tandanus tandanus and they are worried about them escaping even though its a contained water body.

If they havnt done it yet itd be a good opportunity to get some and to save a few catfish lives :)

#23 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Whats their growth rate like though?

#24 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

40cm in 12 months wouldn't be a problem with lots of good food I reckon mate.

#25 Colin70

Colin70
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

I tried some pellets yesterday didn't want to know about them so I threw in a bit of white bait and he was all over it couldn't get enough. I really want to get him on pellet foods. I was going through my computer and I found a pic of my last one I had before I sold it

Attached Files

#26 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

How come you sold the last one?

My MJ eats pellets, but to be honest, i don't feel that pellets are best suited to this species as they grow. Mine will still happily smash large floating food sticks, but it wont just sit there eating at the surface like a cichlid. Instead he goes down to the bottom and really smashes them causing a massive commotion (similar to a GT hitting a popper). Takes him forever to eat a handful of pellets like this, and my floor is soaked, also end up having a heap hanging off the lids etc. I just stuff pellets into big chunks of fish or into the body cavity of a whole fish. Much easier.

#27 Colin70

Colin70
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

I had to choose between my jack and my cod at the time I really needed the tank for my cod. I didn't even sell it I gave it to my mate to take care of who had an empty tank at the time. Then when I set up the pond for my cod I was going to get him back but I had a falling out with the him and we don't talk anymore. Sucks :( my last one used to smash pellets. I'm hoping this one is still settling in. Did you notice with them that they are kind of shy when they are younger but when they hit about 20cm something just clicks and they become super aggressive?

#28 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Mine does the same with floating pellets Alex, thats why ive just stuck to massivores. Wack a small handfull in and he smashes the surface once and gets most of it and then just follows it down getting the rest.

The growth rate i was talking about was for a Jack btw Andrew not a tandanus, not sure on their growth rates..

#29 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Colin - Sucks about the falling out, I would have got the fish back regardless. ;)

Ah, not really shy. I kept mine with Malawi haps, until it hit about 20-25cm, then he systematically started killing his tankmates. So I agree, that 20-25cm is the rough size they start getting a bad attitude. But I wouldn't call them 'shy' before that, just not agro. I will never be able to keep another fish with mine, that is the reality. Going to need a 6x3x2 at some stage (currently in a 5x2x2, which is getting small). I will more than likely buy an aquauclure pond for him at the end of the year and let him live out his days in that.

Ice - yeah that'd work a treat. I just don't feed all that many pellets these days to him, only reason i have the sticks is because and order was messed up and I was sent sticks instead of carni pellets. I will take you up on the offer when I move. My mates will help with the tanks, but always good to have another fish person on hand when moving the actual fish. What are you feeding yours mainly? pellets or frozen? Been feeding mine a lot of prawn, just trying to balance it with some sticks to reduce the risk of thiaminase poisoning. I cleaned up on whiting a while back, so he was eating whole whiting frames for about a month. Any that were too big were snapped in half by the jack and swallowed.

Edited by Peckoltia, 13 June 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#30 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

and... I'm still waiting for the pics! :)

#31 Colin70

Colin70
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Mine was still aggressive but not to the level that he got to. I had mine with a baby cod and he easily stood his ground with him no problems. What would be some good tank mates for him while he is young? I wanna keep him competitive

#32 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Mine started its killing spree early at 11cm, all started with taking out 3 archer fish that were around his size or a little bigger in under a week, then onto bigger and better things (ate my murray cod in half) which can be seen on my MJ thread in the TB section haha.

Alex mine gets 100% massivore diet these days and the odd treat from when i go fishing or go to buy seafood for myself. Barely gets any fresh food these days and is still thriving and looking bloody great!

Glad to help with the fish side of things, its the tank side that i dont like so that suits me hahaha...

Ill get those pics soon mate, been busy!

#33 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Mine was still aggressive but not to the level that he got to. I had mine with a baby cod and he easily stood his ground with him no problems. What would be some good tank mates for him while he is young? I wanna keep him competitive

I don't really want to suggest anything, as chances are it wont work or last.

If I was though ;) I'd go for something big and tough, Central American cichlids would be your safest bet; Dovii, Jags, Polleni (Madagascar) etc

Mine started its killing spree early at 11cm, all started with taking out 3 archer fish that were around his size or a little bigger in under a week, then onto bigger and better things (ate my murray cod in half) which can be seen on my MJ thread in the TB section haha.

Alex mine gets 100% massivore diet these days and the odd treat from when i go fishing or go to buy seafood for myself. Barely gets any fresh food these days and is still thriving and looking bloody great!

Glad to help with the fish side of things, its the tank side that i dont like so that suits me hahaha...

Ill get those pics soon mate, been busy!

Hikari make great food, I'm not surprised to hear he is doing well on it.

#34 Scales

Scales
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

Red Devils are a good option. Cheap, fairly aggressive and growth rates similar to jacks do will keep around the same size ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)