Photo

"Black" Electric Yellow? *Pics added*

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

I think it should become the PCS symbol - all those in favour shout..

AYE

#62 shelldrake4

shelldrake4
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

It is entirely possible that one or more of your EY's are not entirely pure. It may have been generations ago that a crossbreed was in the line and this could be a throwback!
You will see this happen from time to time in all animal species.

#63 cichlid hunter

cichlid hunter
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:12 PM

AYE!

lol

#64 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

AYE

#65 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

He's doing great, swimming around with all the "other" electric yellows lol.

AYE!

#66 bladez

bladez
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:21 AM

AYE AYE CAP'N BIRDS EYE....

umm i mean AYE! laugh.gif

#67 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

(Terry)
We may get lucky, real electric yellows might not recognize it so they won't breed with it. If they do breed and we start getting fish in a few years with dirty black blotches we will know where it comes from.
A few years ago I had albino Apistogramma cacatouides. I culled them.
Cheers Terry

As Kyol has stated, it will be a display fish only but even if he hadn't of said that, that comment is a bit low Terry.

I'd hate to think what would happen if you had children and they came out a bit different.....would you cull them too? Albino's happen in the wild and yes some of them do get killed but some do survive as well.

This is why I don't breed...because I just don't think it's right to "cull" fish that don't meet the "right" expectations. It's not the fishes fault.

#68 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

Oh and AYE!!

#69 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

AYE biggrin.gif laugh.gif

#70 the_german

the_german
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

i think when they dont breed with it it is ok.

AYE! biggrin.gif

#71 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

oh why not :roll:

AYE

#72 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

Fishgal i think youi are being a little tough in return to be honest but I mean that in a pleasant type conversation manner.

Terry has his views and i suspect he is one of the minority who might cull inferior fry - I certainly do not, working on the basis that I have the power to make them all strong and equalk and grow healthily.

#73 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

I'd hate to think what would happen if you had children and they came out a bit different.....would you cull them too? Albino's happen in the wild and yes some of them do get killed but some do survive as well.

Fish and human beings is allot different matter and in some cases when children are born deformed and may live a life of misery i think the parents can choose to "cull" them.

Terry is talking about preserving the hobby, if i had a green spotted convict cichlid growing in one of my tanks i would be forced to cull it. If that was to breed and breed (as convicts do) then once i sell some or more like give some away and the next person goes "how cool does this look" and breeds them. I would have created a whole new species of convicts all because of one deformity. When buying fish it is alot better to have pure breeds of fish rather and marbled X black X gold mixes of angelfish you can see in stores sometimes.

Just like guppies, it is very hard to find pure breeds of guppies these days and they are normally just bit mix bags of species.

Thats just my opinion though we are all entitled to one biggrin.gif

#74 tangycichlids

tangycichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Good example using guppies. tongue.gif Most of the coloured varieties are line bred made up by man in the first place :roll:

We don't even know what this "yellow" is yet. As stated earlier could be anything. How about just grow it up first :idea: See what it looks like. Like mentioned, could be a defect, may not survive to adulthood. Also as also said, could of been a mix up generations ago. May not be a pure yellow.
Chances are here to, if it is a throw back, the genes are recessive, therefore its own off spring should be normal, just carry black gene.

You are right, fish & humans are different, female fish with a choice will try to select the strongest male. A strong mouthbrooding male, will mate with a heap of females for generations. Therefore in the wild it does happen where family "meet" :wink:

Frenchy biggrin.gif

#75 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:24 PM

(tangycichlids)
Good example using guppies. tongue.gif Most of the coloured varieties are line bred made up by man in the first place :roll:

We don't even know what this "yellow" is yet. As stated earlier could be anything. How about just grow it up first :idea: See what it looks like. Like mentioned, could be a defect, may not survive to adulthood. Also as also said, could of been a mix up generations ago. May not be a pure yellow.
Chances are here to, if it is a throw back, the genes are recessive, therefore its own off spring should be normal, just carry black gene.

You are right, fish & humans are different, female fish with a choice will try to select the strongest male. A strong mouthbrooding male, will mate with a heap of females for generations. Therefore in the wild it does happen where family "meet" :wink:

Frenchy biggrin.gif

Think it happens in Terxas as well biggrin.gif

#76 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

Unlike you Fishgal I have done a bit of breeding, my daughter is a stunner my son is a bit different as a result of a car accident. I love them both, however I can't see any link with fishkeeping.

Terry

#77 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Ouch nasty nasty Terry......my point was that I didn't agree with culling fish just cause they don't turn out as you would have hoped...yes fish and humans are different but same principle, not all humans turn out as they should, that was my point.

"Unlike you Fishgal I have done a bit of breeding, my daughter is a stunner my son is a bit different as a result of a car accident." How do you know that I do or don't have kids? Maybe I have 10 kids or maybe I'm reproductively challenged eh Terry...that could have hit a real nerve...perhaps you best think before opening your mouth and letting your comments out in future.

This forum is getting too personal with it's attacks and thoughtless comments. My statement on this thread was that just because the fish didn't turn out like all the others didn't mean it deserved to die, especially as Kyol had already stated that he had no intention of breeding it but rather just display it. Fish are living things that have a right to live once WE have bred them. Just because they are lower on the food chain than us doesn't mean they don't have a right to life.

#78 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:04 PM

(Terry)
Unlike you Fishgal I have done a bit of breeding, my daughter is a stunner my son is a bit different as a result of a car accident. I love them both, however I can't see any link with fishkeeping.

Terry

I apologise in advance for what I'm about to say:

Terry, as a "PCS committee member" your comments on this thread are highly childish, highly pugnacious and down right rude.

Personal attacks are and allways will be around, but from a person like you I am astonished.

If this post gets deleted I understand why, but I think it should stay for everyone to see and you should act more polite towards people you have never even met considering you obviously rank higher then me and fishgal.

Thank you to all the people on this site for nice comments, and thanks fishgal for again bringing to the attention that little "blacky" will be no more then a display fish!

Thanks guys biggrin.gif

#79 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:16 PM

OOPS
Unlike you Fishgal I have done a bit of breeding. My daughter is a stunner my son is a bit different as a result of a car accident. I love them both, however I can't see any link with fishkeeping.
Is that better?
Terry

#80 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

Nope it's not sorry, a fullstop does nothing, the comment was still made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users