Photo

New Tank

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#101 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Videos, a few short clips taken from my mobile so it isn't the best, watch in HD. Check previous page for pics 

Edited by Angelo, 18 May 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#102 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

#103 tywonreef

tywonreef
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Nice work angelo.
The rays got a good feed today, robert will do his best to keep both oscars & rays happy, but as soon as i suspect any problems with feeding or aggro, the oscars will go. The oscars have not shown any interest at all in the rays so far, so hopefully it will work out ok. 9000 litres can tend to change the rules, but be sure they will be monitored daily.
Rays spending a mix of time between burrowed & swimming.

I had signed out as tywon reef & back on as morley aq, but for some i phone reason it keep returning to this after i go offline, sorry, will work it out soon

#104 Jeff

Jeff
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

The videos really don't show how massive these tanks are.  More impressive in person I reckon.  Great job considering the time frame and constraints.

#105 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Very true! Best to get there in person and have a look.

#106 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

In Angelo's video it shows an Oscar having a go at a ray right at the end. There's the start Paul.

Edited by Bowdy, 18 May 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#107 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

I'd have to say Ray, I to thought the same thing.

#108 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

What about dicus with the Rays and Oscars in there own tank?

#109 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

them rays look rather small... would it have been better getting some bigger? oscars wouldnt be so tempted then....

#110 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:07 AM

Looking good.
Hope it all goes well.

Paul, try deleting your iPhone cookies.
Stupid iPhones, I can recommend another fix for it, however a hammer is involved and your phone is factory rest to an iNail

#111 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Oscars IMO just arnt a good match for rays. There to inquisitive

#112 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

In large tanks like this, yes discus are a great match over the top of rays,,,, many examples can be seen on YouTube in a lot of the Asian / Malay places.
Oscars vary in personality big time,,, so if mixing the two is a must at these chosen sizes, then particular ones like that on the short clip must be removed.
Rays aren't these predatory meanies that some may think,,,, they are scavengers and a opportunist type predator.
Rays will jump on shrimp and small fish that are helpless in movement,, or small fish trying to rest at night on the bottom,, rays are nocturnal, and you know the rest.
Even though discus forage the bottom,, they get quite use to the feeding funnels at the surface.
With this mix, never will be the problem of the fish steeling food before it gets to the rays,,, especially at this detrimental pup stage when it's very common to have no appetite and have a percentage die if not past that stage.
Discus and loads more into tank with pups.
And oscars into the ex-discus tank.

#113 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

The rays are feeding well, be sure that all the tanks & fish are monitored every day. Any problems with aggression will be dealt with immediately.
I am well aware of fish, personalities & the issues arising from these. Please remember that this is what i do & have done for a living for over 20 years. I really do not need advice on this situation as i am someone who gives this advice to people every day.

#114 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Pretty sure Paul knows what he's doing , he's been in the industry for 20+ yrs . Not to mention that in the end it is the customers decision as to what the tanks are stocked with ...

#115 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Meh, ignore them Paul.

Sometimes people need to make themselves feel more knowledgeable by trying to find fault in anything they can.  ;)

Well done on the install, must be a great feeling walking past those setups and knowing you set it up :goodjob:

#116 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Most discussions are opinions,, and opinions only.
And amongst our own opinions we compare.
If it won't be taken with a pinch of salt,,, then so be it.

#117 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

as paul stated a few posts ago, this project going to be difficult to please everyone. The purpose of posting the pics and videos were for those who cant get there in person. however i highly recommend everyone going there and having a look in person before posting your verdict. 

Paul and team have done a terrific job! 

#118 tywonreef

tywonreef
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

Personally i am getting very sick of these opinions being constantly of the negative & discouraging type. Try something positive & supportive for a change, might just give you a warm & fuzzy feeling.

Sorry, morley aquariums, not tymonreef, damn phone, must kill cookies

Thanks angelo for the vids, nice to see you down having a look.

#119 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

I apologize very sincerely for my opinion coming across as advice to someone who is on a full time professional level.
Sorry.

#120 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

i think the opinion given was given in a nice and friendly way and wasnt a personal attack on you paul.... and even with 20+ years of experience in the trade you could learn something from someone who i regard highly in keeping rays and if there is anything he doesnt know i would be surprised...

an opinion can be said  - do you think bigger rays would be more suitable to house with oscars ?

or

can be said - why the @#%* would you house those small stingray pups with such big oscars ?

sometimes people dont always type what they are trying to say... so interpret it as nicely as possible and be the bigger person here....

if we went and visited everybodies house who owns a display tank i bet you dont find any the same... because everybody is different and has different ideas...

in reality theres prob less than 10% that like your setup... and more than 90% of people think they could do it better... well better isnt necessarily better here but its different...its what they like... and what they think is better... 

we can all say hey the tanks look really great... good job... well done.... but we all prob thinking we could do better (better meaning different here)...

hardest thing you have to contend with paul is not the knockers... its the owner and his opinions and the price limits placed on you....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users