Keeping Oscars And Stingrays Together?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

Hey all

I have 2 Oscar 30cms +, really tame aswell and l want to put my stingray in with them in a 6x2.5x2 foot tank, also with 2 larger plecos and 4 clown loachs.

My oscars arnt bothered by me putting other Americans in my tank, only other Oscar gets them annoyed.

My question is " who has kept oscars and stingrays together, and how did it go?

Cheers Ant

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

Didn't the people at Coventry Village try this combination?

#3 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

Yep, tried the oscars & rays. Did ok until the oscars decided to try to breed, then bullied the rays. Decided not worth risking a $500 fish by allowing it to get hassled by a $40 fish. The tinfoils also not good with them. Tried a few combos because we had 5000 litres to play with. The archers & silver dollars work well. Would not risk loaches, they can be a bugger for picking the eyes out & rays would be a real target for them. Also likely to pick at the tails. Plecos fine.

#4 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:13 AM

Guppies should also work well.

#5 ant86

ant86
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:35 AM

I've had my oscars together for 2-3 years and no signs of breeding, so safe on that front lol

Ok oscars, stingray and plecos then, I will be giving it ago ;)

Edited by ant86, 08 December 2014 - 05:36 AM.

#6 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

Oscars can take a long time till they breed, so they can take their time like C.frontosa do.
Oscars, once put into a different tank become very inquesative.
Rays are robust and can go with many things if tank is big enough.

With rays, there are two sets of rules,

For pups and youngsters (up to 21cm), very fragile mental wise as well as physical.
Never mix ANYTHING with these juvi rays unless other inhabitance are also tiny juvies.

For semi adults and adults (23cm and over), are fine to mix with almost anything with only having to consider personalities of rays or other fish which may be a occasional bad luck problem.

So, if your ray is juvi, don't do it,,,, things will/may appear fine for a while, then you'll wake up or come home from work seeing your little pup is motionless,,,,, you prod it with a stick to test and still doesn't move,,,,, dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users