Photo

Amphilophus Sp. - Red Devil

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

You will notice I only put Amphilophus sp. instead of Amphilophus citrinellus as I believe the ones we have in Australia are a cross between Amphilophus citrinellus and Amphilophus labiatus, some wholesalers say they have the true Amphilophus labiatus but Im yet to see the true species here in Oz.

Amphilophus citrinellus - Midas Cichlid: (Jeff Rapps Cichlids)
Attached File  midas.jpg   30.47KB   2 downloads

Amphilophus labiatus - Red Devil Cichlid: (Dr Herbert Axelrod / Jeff Rapps Cichlids)
2011-01-14_203131_Red_Devil.jpg
a.labiat2.jpg

As you can see from the pics, the Amphilophus labiatus has the thick lips, the Amphilophus citrinellus does not.

The fish we call the Red Devil in Australia is a very strong and aggressive species that will attack and kill anything that gets in its way.
They are a sensational cichlid for the large aquarium they also grow large around 40-50cm, they are easy to breed and will defend their fry to the death.
They aren't fussy when it comes to water conditions or tank mates, keep them with cichlid that are larger than them and they should behave.
Over the last few years I have seen some really nice white/orange ones coming available.
My male:
WhiteRDmale6609.jpg

Another one of my males in an outdoor pond, He was around 35cm:
RDpond.jpg

Another male (this one was my fav)
WhiteDevil3.jpg

My female a couple of years ago:
RedDevilFemaleWithFry227-02-09.jpg

And the RD at work:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users