Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Marine Lights: Conflicting Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Lids yes or no

Should a marine tanks lids be on or off?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hi guys ive had conflicting advice from different people and LFS/sponsors on this issue so i thought it might be interesting to throw out for debate.
the advice is not to use lids on marine as it diffuses the lights. is this so? the other half is it doesnt harm the light and infact stops salt build up on the light? so there are possibly two problems here. which is the more efficient way to go, in terms of good lighting lower maintenance and having a healthy marine setup.

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:12 PM

Gday Boof

If you're keeping coral then the amount of light and the depth that it can penetrate is of the most importance. Having lids on u'll have to battle constant salt creep and algae buildup. Heat can also be an issue. During the warmer months leaving the lids off will assist with keeping the temperature down. If you're using metal halides and placing thin cover glass near it u risk thermal shock, cracking etc.

I guess the real question is "why leave them on"? Better insulator during the colder months. Less evap. Prevent fish from jumping out....

Dazza

#3 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:18 PM

so lids in winter but not summer? or half lids summer? it seems your reply dhas left me more unsure tongue.gif
BTW tank is 18inches deep will be using t5HO 4x39W marine tubes

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:29 PM

I'd say making sure your coral are getting the appropriate amount of light is the priority. Anything affecting that (cover glass, light unit at incorrect height etc) should be avoided. In the colder months u've got heaters to keep your tank warm. If electricity costs are an issue I suppose u could help keep the heat in by putting on the cover glass while the lights are off. But if u forget to take them off and your lights automatically come on with timers there could be a risk of cracking etc. Evap shouldn't be an issue as you should be topping up and doing water changes fairly regulary anyhow. If fish are jumping out find a different method of keeping them in like netting.

By marine tubes I assume u mean a mix of something like 10000K tubes and actinics?

Dazza smile.gif

#5 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Jul 24 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By marine tubes I assume u mean a mix of something like 10000K tubes and actinics?
Dazza smile.gif

if actinics are blue tongue.gif ur on a winner tongue.gif
thanks for the info!

#6 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

i agree with dazza, light and heat is the priority i personally have no tanks that have covers (60+ tanks), you can under any circumstances let your temp hit a constant 29 degrees for over a few days or youll start bleaching the corals and as you know t5's get alot hotter than fluros, no where near as hot as halides but none the less hot enough to heat up a tank by a few degrees. the other thing to consider is do you have an open sump??, atleast then if you had to run covers because you had fish notorious for jumping out the heat could escape through the ventilated sump.
If you choose to run cover glass, just make sure its always clean and the salt creep doesnt build up on it and you will probably notice no difference at all at a depth of 18 inches

#7 Boof86

Boof86
  • Banned

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

yes im running an open sump. i might leave the covers off anyway.setting it all up at the moment.. aquascaping fish corals etc.. all tomorow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users