Photo

Sumps in perth

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2004 - 08:31 PM

Hey I've been thinking about building a sump, and I already have a pump and spare aquarium to use, but I need to sylicon glass deviders into the aquarium and also need my aqarium (one with fish in it) drill and an overflow box added.

I'm not sure if I want to use that aquarium I have for the sump though, so I was either considering buying a larger aquarium to do it with, or building and acrylic sump like this one: (not nearly as complex of course)

Where can I buy acrylic and tools to do this, also is this going to be way too difficult?

As an alternative are there any places that build sumps that I could just buy one from to save myself the trouble?

Thanks

#2 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:29 PM

Easiest way to make a sump is to get a tank. You can pick up small tanks suitable for sumps pretty cheaply in the trading post if you want a larger one. Acrylic can be done, but will most probably be more expensive than using a allready made glass aquarium. If you want the whole sump made in plastic theres a few places that will do everything for you professionally, but dont expect it to be cheap.

As for making your own sump, try www.cichlid-forum.com in the library>diy articles

#3 Sloowflow

Sloowflow
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 01:46 AM

this site may have some useful info
www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/wetdry.htm

#4 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:15 AM

Ok, I will probably use glass, but what about siliconing in glass deviders etc. Will that be difficult?

I've read plenty of articles I've seen on cichlid-forum but I havn't seen that one yet, thanks Sloowflow

#5 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 02:48 AM

Siliconing glass dividers is easy. You get the right side glass, line the area the divider will go and put it in, then hold it in place with clamps or something.

Make sure to use silicone thats safe for fish of course.

#6 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 03:45 AM

ok, doesn't sound too hard. Where can I get aquarium silicon, from aquarium stores or at bunnings?

One major thing I'm worried about is the overflow box, if I make the output too small I'll flood the tank obviously but if I make it too large it should be fine right? And where is the best place to get my tank drilled? LFS or go to a glass place of some sort?

Thanks

#7 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:26 AM

You might be able to get the aquarium safe silicone at an aquarium, but i just used window and glass silicone (make sure theres no anti-mildew stuff). I think the stuff was selleys and the website has aquariums listed as a use perhaps, though not too sure :p .

I would expect drilling to get done by a glazier (glass-maker). You could try contacting a fish shop that makes their own aquariums cause they would know about the drilling and the silicone (e.g. morley aquariums or merjo (who makes tanks))

Big overflow is much better. Each pipe can only handle a certain flow rate at certain flow rates so a bigger overflow means that you wont have to worry about your tank overflowing.

#8 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2004 - 10:20 PM

but could a place like morley aquariums install the whole overflow box and pipes or whatever for me?

#9 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 February 2004 - 02:56 AM

Hi mate,
You can get holes drilled at a glazier, cost will be around $10 - $15 depending on diameter. Don't do it urself:x . Any acid-cure silicone is safe to use in an aquarium;) ....I would recommend GE or Dow Corning:good

merjo

#10 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:40 AM

thanks again merjo, I think I'm about ready to start messing around with building a sump now. Got any last tips for me?

Thanks

#11 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2004 - 05:19 AM

I just thought of something else I forgot to ask, where is the best place to buy glass to use as dividers and what thickness should I get it? Oh yeh, and do I need the width to be cut a millimetre short so I will be able to fit it in?

I didn't think of those questions until I actually started thinking about buying the glass this week....

Something else I havn't thought of is what about the overflow box, whats the best way to set one of these up? (just the actual box bit, I'm fine with the plumbing at this point)

I'd like to get one like this made but will that be expensive?:

Edited by: eX024 at: 3/1/04 9:32 pm

#12 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2004 - 06:30 AM

The overflow box is what you use when you need an overflow but dont want to drill the tank. Basically theres a constant siphon going to the outside where it drains.

Either that or i am getting confused or its a box inside the aquarium, usually consisting of 'teeth' (to stop fish and plant matter falling in). Its set up to the height so the tank overflows into it, keeping the water level at the teeth level while the sump looses water instead. (i think its the second explanation tongue.gif)

There should be plans on the internet if u check cichlid-forum or search google for diy plans. Its basically just a box so it shouldbnt be too hard to make :p

The divider thickness depends on what the water level on both sides is. If its equal then you can get away with thinner glass. As a best bet go with whatever size the sides are made off (you might be able to go 1-2mm less but stick sturdy and go the same thickness as a similarily high aquarium).

If you can get it cut millimeter size i'd go with double whatever the thickness of the silicone should be. Make sure the height is suitable though :p

#13 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:31 PM

Yeh, I meant the internal kind of overflow... After I posted that I used my brain for once and realised the obviouse thing to do would be to silicon pieces on glass inside the aquarium for the job, but I was wondering how to stop the little fishies from overflowing too, could I get teeth cut into glass or can that only be done with acrylic, any other idea on what I could do. I could use some sort of netting I supposed but I don't know how I'd stick it on...

Any idea on where the best place to buy the glass would be though? Can I buy is from a Glazier? (I assume a glazier is some sort of person who works with glass)

#14 CommodoreKev

CommodoreKev
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 March 2004 - 03:36 PM

I used gutter gaurd for a trap into the overflow for my internal trickle setup. (good for fish over 1cm) Currently I have heaps of babies in the tank so I just have the filter wool sitting up higher than the edge., seems to be working ok; just got to check the wool couple of times a week.

Kev

PS. Tanks is for sale (pushy seller, lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users