filters for a 4ft tank

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trent

trent
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:48 AM

hey everyone
i am goin to be setting up another 4 ft tank soon and i was wondering what sort of filter/pump would be good in that size tank and also if you have a spare one just inform me. i would like one that is powerful and not that noisy as it is in my room
thanks
trent

#2 Barca888

Barca888
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2004 - 03:27 AM

Your best bet is to get a quality internal power filter (quality as some poorer brands become loud). Even better would be to get an external canister filter. You can get some good deals on the net for these. They are usually very quiet.

#3 jayrock2508

jayrock2508
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:43 AM

hard to answer that one without knowing what you intend on putting in it,(plants,africans,americans,fish that like current,fish that dont,etc)
more data?

Jay

#4 trent

trent
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:31 AM

i am goin to put in africans in it (malawi)
n.livingstoni (female) wanting male
n.fuscotaeniatus (male)
and that is all i really have thought of puting in there at the moment
but if u know any thing that would go well with these fish it would be great.
thanks

#5 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:21 AM

There might be a problem with cross breeding using males and females of those species but im not overly familiar so if someone else could clear that up.

In my opinoin wanting to setup a fish tank to suit your needs is sort of selfish and i usually try to opt for the best interest of the fish. Whats better?

A a loud (not overly loud but has a sound) filter whith a strong biological build up of bacteria and very healthy fish and crystal clear water?

or a quiet filter murky tank lousy fish diseases?

of course they arnt two of the most realistic scenarios im just trying to make my point.

An internal power filter would surley be out of the question considering it is bigger than 4ft x 14 x 18? and if you did have one i would suggest using 2 or finding anuther combo or filters. it is better to over filter than under filter.

If you really would like to reduce sound this is my answer.

get 2 power heads running on about 1200ltrs/hr and attached them to an under gravel filter?

Now these fish dig so use large rocks to cover the bottom about the size of a 50cent piece and then a smaller gravel or natural gravel to fill up the gaps.

#6 trent

trent
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2004 - 03:07 AM

hey
i don't mind much noise but i just don't want one of those really noisy filters that keep me awake ( i used to have one). with the fish i have never herd of those two types of fish crossbreeding but i will look into it.
any ideas on what to put with these beasts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users