joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:57 PM

hey guys

went down the beach today and caught these two fellas smile.gif

- red striped cardinalfish
- and a stripey

Joe

Edited by joey, 22 October 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#2 spendy

spendy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Cool as..howd u catch them...?
Hey ive never had marine but do you have to quarantine the fish before they go in, if caught at the beach..?

The tanks lookin good too ill have to swing around some time have a closer look..

Renato

#3 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

caught them with a little hand net, just dived under a ledge and caught them. Kinda like how nemo was caught haha.
I dont know much about marines and all that stuff, so im still experimenting, the fish seem fine and so does everything else so far smile.gif

i just acclimated them for a good while then popped them in.

Edited by joey, 23 October 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#4 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:21 AM

It's a good idea to quarantine them just in case, nice catch though Joe smile.gif watch your stripey, they love picking at corals in particular some of the hard corals.

Top job mate the tanks coming along nicely smile.gif

Nick

#5 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

cheers nick

whats involved in quarantining them?

#6 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

You have another tank, usually smaller thats only got a filter and a few plastic hiding spots for the subject. Its reccomended that fish generally are quarantiened for 6 weeks. The main advantage is if the fish comes down with an illness it can be easily treated and with the proper medicine.

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

Spot on simon 6 weeks is perfect, my quarantine tank has a half inch layer of sand and a piece of 90mm pipe for a cave, that's it, any new fish that haven't come from a store go in there. As simon said it's easy to treat and watch them in a separate tank, if they went into my reefer I would have no hope of getting them out if there was problems smile.gif

Cheers
Riggas

#8 PeneJane

PeneJane
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

Just be aware that the stripys do grow to 16cms, are very piggy eaters (like a lot of food and often). They are peaceful fish and have great character.

The Western Striped Cardinal grows to 14cms.

Am not sure what size tank you have but be weary on the size that the Stripy can get to (Microcanthus strigatus)

Enjoy smile.gif

#9 Gareth

Gareth
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

Free fish are the best fish, hahaha.
I've been doing some spear fishing snorkelling around piont peron area. Have got atleast 6-8 Blenny's atm. Have alot of character, not much colour though.
Some really cool inverts around that area too.

More than welcome to a few Blenny's if u want joey/Nick.....

#10 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

cheers for the offer Gareth smile.gif

...sad news, i think my cardinal ate my coral banded shrimp. The shrimp left without a trace and i know for a fact that the cardinals mouth is as big as its body haha.

#11 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

I can never get them in the net sad.gif I'm always keen for a snorkel/free dive with or without the speargun/gidgee. Know where to get some nice soft corals, shrimp, starfish, general CUC and sand anemones in bulk if anyone's interested.

What kind of net for the stripeys? I have the babies stalk me while I snorkel, yet avoid
My fish scoop thing like the plague. Is there some kinda technique to it?

#12 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:30 AM

Umm its illegal to collect coral and nems without a licence. As for shrimp do you know what species they are?

#13 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

I'm fully aware, but don't really care. Garage sales are illegal without a license, yet we still have em. The spot is actually a collection site for most Perth LFS. Infact, it's how I found the spot. Owner of said LFS and myself went out to collect stock for his store. That, I feel is dodgy. But for personal (not for gain) I see no problem.

The shrimp vary- glass, peppermint ect and when peppermints sell for 20-30a pop, I'd rather collect my own.
Lots of reef safe urchins and hermits/snails too.

On another note- if you have any native blood in you, those licenses aren't necessary for personal use, commercials another story however.

#14 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

That's a terrible attitude to adopt. Rules are in place to protect marine species. It is people like you who are fully aware of the laws, that ruin it for everyone. I hope you do get caught, and fined heavily. I'm not sure how you can compare garage sales to the illegal collection of marine organisms? That is like me saying because some people rape and murder it is fine for me to graf up public property. So by your way of thinking it is fine for all marine keepers to go out and collect their own live stock as it is not for 'gain'?

It seems your name is an appropriate one.

I make no appologies for being forthright. Your attitude stinks and you should be made fully accountable for your actions, and the fact that you are more than willing to admit to breaking wildlife protection laws on a public forum speak volumes.

The aquarium trade is in enough trouble without people illegaly collecting wildlife for their home aquariums.

Alex

edit - spelling

Edited by Peckoltia, 23 February 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#15 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

100% agree with peckoltia .. and adding to that. whoever is the owner of that "lfs" should be fully charged and have any licences taken off him and his shop closed down. if your taking corals and livestock out of the ocean and selling it in a store is completely illegal. and for not reporting that person. you are completely immoral.

you and your friend are whats wrong with this hobby

#16 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Selectively taking local Perth species that are in abundance, surely pales in comparison to the thousands of dead fish that are the bi-product of commercial and recreational fishing. Quiet frankly, if you think it's okay to go fish and take home a feed, there's no difference in collecting your own. It's not like we go and rape mettams pool, or other marine wild life reserves. All spots I visit are fish and diver friendly, and on that note, the point is not comparison between crimes, it's what's logical. What's next, an uproar about people catching and not releasing blowies?

Edit-

Ever walked on the right side of the footpath? Ever caught a taxi, and not checked the boot for a bale of hay?
Ever changed a light bulb? If so, congratulation you had just broken Australian law. Just because there are laws, does not mean they are enforced or even viable in today's society. Just because you have pretentious views, does not mean you are correct.

Edited by Clownman, 23 February 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#17 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Which ever way you look at it collection of coral is illegal, how ever collection of fish and shrimp isn't as long as you stick to size limits if applicable.

As for your attitude, you may want to be careful what you say its quite possible to track who you are and where you are. There is very little anonimity on the net.

#18 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Edited by Sarahhhhh, 23 February 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#19 Clownman

Clownman
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

I for one, will collect and I'll take my children too, just like my father did and his before
Him. Laws are not good, a group of politicians with no interest or participation in anything can sit around and judge what everyone else is allowed to do? I don't think so. Regardless of wether it's illegal, that's just perception. Look at American and Cali- weed smoking legal and illegal. people are being told what they can and can't do by conflicting governments. So much for being a Free country huh? I'll take my
Chances, and Quite frankly, it's not likely to stop anyone.

Edited by Bowdy, 23 February 2012 - 01:08 PM.
Language.

#20 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Do not try and confuse the situation with your circular logic. Your comparisons between marine wildlife laws and other laws has no relevance. Your misconception that politicians sit behind desks and make these marine laws is totally flawed. These marine regulations are based on science, science that has been studied and put in place in order to protect marine biodiversity whether you like it or not.

Who are you to decide what species are in abundance? What training or study have you done to qualify you to make this sort of judgement? Bugger all I'm guessing. Your mind set that you will continue to take the next generations to do the same is also a silly thing to suggest, as you are breaking the exact laws that are put in place to ensure future generations can enjoy wildlife.

Your logic is whack my friend.

Our hobby is already placed under the magnifying glass enough, without nitwits out there breaking laws to fill their aquariums. You want a job in the aquarium trade but your actions are completely contradictory. Whether you see it or not, your actions and the actions of like minded people are putting our hobby at risk.

You have openly admitted to breaking laws, and frankly not caring. Not that it is needed, but you have also put your full name and mobile number on the forum for all to see. Stupid is an understatement.

That is enough out of me,

Happy fish keeping everyone.

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users