Camallanus Worms - Treatment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

Hi all

I got some guppies from my LFS a month and a half ago, and for the past week or so one had been acting a bit odd, flitting around the tank etc and today was folded in half at the top, so I took him out to put him to sleep with some clove oil, however he died before I got home.

I was just about to throw him out, but I noticed he had a red wormy thing coming out of him and this seems to be a "Camallanus worm". Treatment is said to be done with Levamisole, so I guess I'm getting some of that tomorrow.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and how easy the treatment is, and the future of my tank? I'm moving to Sydney in a few weeks and leaving my tank with my parents, who aren't really fish people (but will follow any instructions), but I don't want to leave them with any problems.

Is one treatment likely to stop any other infections, or do I need to do more? None of my other fish (guppies, clown loaches, BN's and cory's) are showing any sign of infection right now but who knows.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sarah

#2 dori

dori
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

I've had the exact same problem as you, I've tried alot of treatments and find that Bird wormer works best, i bought mine from City farmers 

most likely your entire tank is infected, i would do a massive water change and gravel vac the substrate 

I found that after i used the bird wormer the worms were gone within 3-7 days, however the damage had already been done and my fishes died 

Just my experience, maybe others have had more success 

#3 Tarpon

Tarpon
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:12 PM

Contact Oliver at Aquotix he has some excellent medication which I used to good effect in my tanks

#4 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

Yes to Levamisole

You have to treat twice, about two weeks apart.

It only kills the live worms, not the eggs so second treatment gets the hatched worms before they start their breeding cycle.

If you treat only once you are only giving your fish a temporary relief

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users