Vegetable Flakes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TJ__74

TJ__74
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hello.

What does everyone suggest as the best vegetable flake for Mbuna?  I am currently using an unbranded flake from my LFS, containing Spirluna, but I'd rather know what I am actually feeding my fish, like protein content and such.  I also have some Haps in there too (Placidochromis Sp Electra Blue) which I believe are carnivores.  My feeding regime is monday to friday Spectrum 1mm cichlid pellets, and weekends, they get the vegetable flakes.  Will the Haps get enough nutrition with this, or should I introduce something else for them (It is hard getting anything past the Electric Yellows, they just shove them out of the way)

Also, there doesn't seem to be much getting through to the two BN's in there. Do they get enough picking up scraps, and eating the algae?

Lastly, can someone explain to me what SP means in Placidochromis Sp Electra Blue?

Cheers.

TJ

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

Sera Flora

species

#3 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

just if it was bought from us,our 'unbranded bagged flake' is Sera flora. This is the best imo.

#4 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

Sp. Electric Blue basically means it hasn't had its genus properly scientifically identified and named yet, so its been given a species name in the meantime.

+1 on Sera Flora

#5 TJ__74

TJ__74
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:35 PM

It was bought from you guys.

and feeding the Electras, do they need something different than NLS and Sera Flora to meet their nutritional needs?

Thanks.

#6 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:04 PM

if all you have is NLS, then that's all I would feed them

if you have both, then feed them both

#7 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Nls & flora is fine to use all the time & should provide everything they need. Personally I also like a bit of variety for them so a bit of frozen brine or mysis shrimp aa well as some veges like peas, zucchini, pumkin etc every now & then.

#8 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

I am no expert, but that is one of those Malawi with longer intestines right? So although a carnivore you need spiraluna/vegie matter?

#9 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

I'm loving the new Spectrum food called Algae Max perfect for mbuna's and other algae grazers. That combined with the basic NLS cichlid formula and you have most basis covered. Flake wise i liked the HBH 8 veggie flake the best, but it's difficult to get now.

#10 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:23 AM

I have some of the HBH flake. I find only some fish will eat the stuff and none as enthusiastically as Sera flake.

My early experiments with Algae Max are promising.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users