Photo

Floating Fry!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

My fry seem to not try to swim they just float with the current? Watch the video please help!

#2 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:19 AM

They look to be malnourished and dying, why is the water so dirty?

#3 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

What filter do you have? How often do you do water changes?

From what I understand is that there should not be a current (strong water movement) when fry is as small as yours. And because there is no rocks/wood/ornaments they have to swim constantly against the flow for 24/7. For fry this is not good. This will tired them out and they will die.

I would recommend:

- Moving your filter outlet to the glass so that it breaks the flow

- Get a airpump and sponge filter and use this for 3-4 weeks and the remove the other filter

Making sure you still do your regular water changes.

This is what I would do. Others might be able to have some better suggestions

Edited by Spiesie, 25 May 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:45 PM

I know 100% what this is,,,,,,
This is what happens when you leave fry in mothers mouth to long.
The female can't exercise spitting fry and collecting again in the tank like the wild.
Crammed in tank with other fish the mother knows the dangers and unnaturally will hold longer or protect harder.
This malnourishes the fry and some even may seem to float after freshly stripping.

If water temp is 27.c or above then 14 days on average (especially Aulonocara) is best brood time till stripping.
If below 27.c then about 16-17 days.
I very slight egg sac showing on fry is perfect strip time as long as fry is advanced enough to still swim.

With most species,,, especially Aulonocara lots of or big fry and mothers little mouth, when I leave for to long I see the problems you have also encountered.
If the effected fry sink to the bottom, they should make it,,, the ones that float or tumble around have waisted organs and won't make it.

So many people thinks its "natural" or "best" to let mothers hold and spit because it's natural.
As I explained above,,,, there's nothing natural about fish sitting in tanks.

Edited by Buccal, 25 May 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#5 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

I know 100% what this is,,,,,,
This is what happens when you leave fry in mothers mouth to long.
The female can't exercise spitting fry and collecting again in the tank like the wild.
Crammed in tank with other fish the mother knows the dangers and unnaturally will hold longer or protect harder.
This malnourishes the fry and some even may seem to float after freshly stripping.

If water temp is 27.c or above then 14 days on average (especially Aulonocara) is best brood time till stripping.
If below 27.c then about 16-17 days.
I very slight egg sac showing on fry is perfect strip time as long as fry is advanced enough to still swim.

With most species,,, especially Aulonocara lots of or big fry and mothers little mouth, when I leave for to long I see the problems you have also encountered.
If the effected fry sink to the bottom, they should make it,,, the ones that float or tumble around have waisted organs and won't make it.

So many people thinks its "natural" or "best" to let mothers hold and spit because it's natural.
As I explained above,,,, there's nothing natural about fish sitting in tanks.

Thanks well I added some ornament to break the flow but yeah I kept the female in there for like 3 weeks and she didn't spit so I stripped them! I do water changes every 3-7 days! But should be good now!

German fish they have another holding female!
If you would like to buy some pm if interested but you must wait till I can sex them!

Edited by LexAgate, 25 May 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#6 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

Even If female is segregated she still can very well hold to long.
Those 14-17 days are the magic numbers.
There are odd species with different growth rates like Frontosa which is 23 days and another one is Otopharynx auromarginatus 18-19 days.
But it's very uncommon to come across many species that take longer to develope. (mouth brooding Malawi/Tang).

#7 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

That is a great expalantion.

Edited by Leigh, 25 May 2015 - 07:51 PM.

#8 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:51 PM

Great quality fish.
Nice true veiny flame look to the tails.

#9 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

Great quality fish.
Nice true veiny flame look to the tails.

Thanks they are almost 1.5 cm so a bit more waiting how long do you guys think till 5cm? I feed them on nls! And sometimes even some sera flora veggie flakes, need to mix it up not make it all the same! Would blood worms help them? We have some frozen ones! Anything else you would recommend I will get some substrate soon for the tank and will clean it all up!
Also just bought a 4 inch peppermint from morley for my big tank, my males seem to look really good when I compare to google images but it is true they all look better in person!

#10 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:42 AM

When will they reach 5cm,,, that is a how long is a peice of string question.
Depends on temperature, genetics and water chemistry as well as food.
In my system, a Aulonocara to reach 5cm would take 4 months to five. Designer peacocks grow faster.

Quality fish food pellets like your using are formulated for optimum nutrition and fish don't require singled out foods in general.
Blood worms have close to zero nutritional value.

#11 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

When will they reach 5cm,,, that is a how long is a peice of string question.
Depends on temperature, genetics and water chemistry as well as food.
In my system, a Aulonocara to reach 5cm would take 4 months to five. Designer peacocks grow faster.

Quality fish food pellets like your using are formulated for optimum nutrition and fish don't require singled out foods in general.
Blood worms have close to zero nutritional value.

Thanks just wondering if there were any tips or tricks you guys could share? If not we can kill this topic!

#12 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:54 AM

your water looked like it was carrying ammonia and wasnt exactly what i'd call perfect water conditions...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users