Photo

Daphnia Question!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

So this is a question about Daphnia the live food! If I were to put this net/trap dfc8a5592619811adb50f98952120b54.jpg inside my fry tank, should I be able to just keep some daphnia in there without Feeding them too much? (I have fairly green water) I have heaps of algae in the water to feed the daphnia, but if they breed and reproduce won't the small Daphnia (babies) be able to fit through the netting? (it's about 0.5 mm then swim around the tank, then the fry in the tank would eat them! Almost an infinite food source, and when there are too many Daphnia in the trap/box I could just release them in to the tank a keep a couple left to start again! Would this work? Please help!!!

Edited by LexAgate, 19 August 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#2 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:02 AM

http://appslabs.com.au/daphnia.htm

#3 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

Will looks like I will just buy it in a container from a shop whenever I feel like feeding them live food!

#4 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

In my experience very few shops ever sell daphnia. Why not just catch your own? Most fresh water bodies have regular blooms of daphnia, particularly during winter months when lower water temperatures mean that the oxygen levels are higher. Rain also washes nutrients, such as waterbird droppings, into lakes and ponds, and this results in bacterial blooms. The preferred food for most cladocerans is bacteria, and when bacteria (usually coliforms) bloom, so do the daphnia, which will also consume single-celled alga, if bacteria are in low numbers.

At the moment daphnia are blooming in Lake Monger, and all it takes to catch them is a long-handled, reasonably fine net. Catches will yield a plethora of different sized organisms, which can be easily screened in order to feed appropriate sizes according to needs.

Just bear in mind that if feeding wild-caught daphnia and other such live foods to very small fishes, that there are organisms that feed on daphnia which will also attack fish fry, and these need to be carefully excluded; a simple procedure if the catch is placed into a white bowl or such, and potential pests removed with a pipette, baster or such.

One thing to bear in mind is that if there are very large numbers of daphnia present in lakes, it is wise to not be greedy and attempt to overcrowd your catch in buckets. They have high oxygen requirements, and overcrowding will result in most or all of the organisms dying before you get to feed them to your fishes.

Syd.

By the way, forget the harbingers of doom who claim that live foods carry diseases. Every aquarium has microbes that potentially cause disease, and live foods seldom, if ever, introduce anything nastier than already in the aquarium.

In 63 years of feeding wild-caught live food, I have never had any problem with introducing disease into my aquaria.

Edited by sydad, 20 August 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#5 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

i have some if you want? 

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=61481

LOL :)

#6 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:15 PM

i have some if you want? 
http://www.perthcich...showtopic=61481

LOL :)

how many do u have?

#7 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

how many do u have?

erm i dont know mate - i don't count them ...

they still small though.. maybe 1mm in length? but definitely breeding like crazy 

i can let you know when they get to decent size? 

#8 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

Can I just have them or are u selling cuz I don't want to pay anything!

#9 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:21 AM

Can I just have them or are u selling cuz I don't want to pay anything!

Nah you can just have them! They just appeared one day lol

#10 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Nah you can just have them! They just appeared one day lol

phew I was going you say!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users