Photo

"Supermarket" store vs LFS

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

Better to support a sponsor than a supermarket chain store.. wink.gif They deserve no advertisement on this forum IMO

#2 jase87

jase87
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

(Aquatic Dreams, Better to support a sponsor than a supermarket chain store.. They deserve no advertisement on this forum IMO)

cheers for your very supportive input Aquatic Dreams. although we are not a sponsor "which i wish we were", we are asmuch a part of the hobby as all of you. supporting ALL stores north and south due to quality, advice, and price i think is far more important than puting it down to brandings such as "supermarket chain store", as this site is designed for everyone in the hobby.. IMO

Jase

#3 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

Edited, not to hijack thread

#4 Matty77

Matty77
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:00 PM

....yeah...probably a topic open for discussion elswhere at this forum...Thanks to all who replied, will check them out biggrin.gif

#5 Matty77

Matty77
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

Although, I do ask how big is to big? I say anything less than Malaga aquariums, aint gonna give you the selection range and expertise you require and expect.... Competition is good, and is GREAT for the hobbyist! biggrin.gif

#6 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

You obviously have not been Midland Pets and aquariums, Aquotix or veba's then. No discredit to Kev but if you want quality and variety in rift lake cichlids then these are the places to go.

(Aquatic Dreams, Better to support a sponsor than a supermarket chain store.. They deserve no advertisement on this forum IMO)

cheers for your very supportive input Aquatic Dreams. although we are not a sponsor "which i wish we were", we are asmuch a part of the hobby as all of you. supporting ALL stores north and south due to quality, advice, and price i think is far more important than puting it down to brandings such as "supermarket chain store", as this site is designed for everyone in the hobby.. IMO

Not your store but i was in a a city farmers store a couple of weeks ago where they wanted $60 for a 10cm Hongi with a sunken belly. If that is quality and price. Then I would hate to see poor quality and expensive.

#7 Matty77

Matty77
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hey Highlucks, note i mentioned anything less than, have been to the others and bourght from one, being where I am , its easier to shop local.

biggrin.gif

#8 jase87

jase87
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

Fair call guys, yes Aquotix, vebas etc etc do have a great range and experience, i do shop around alot myself and visit those stores very often. but every store deserves a look, and a fair go.
You will always find the odd poor quality fish in stores, but yes sunken belly and the crazy price leaves you wondering. A Hongi in that condition definatly is not somthing i would have up for sale.

cheers jase

#9 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

I must admit I have seen the same thing a farmers. They were also trying to sell a sick looking Lil Texas as a tropheus duboisi makes you wonder.

#10 jase87

jase87
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

ok, but just because you saw that at one Farmers store it doesnt mean all are the same, where all individual stores.. And please dont frame one store for that, as i see this as a problem every where, even at the most respected places.. i purchased some great adult malawi cichlids the other day from one of the most respected perth stores "not mentioning names" and they sold them to me as a fish that was nothing like what they were. the quality was great, but trying to sell it as somthing it wasnt. It proves its a problem in LFS too. i go to the south of the river stores prob once a month and see some shocking fish in the stores at times ohmy.gif

jase

#11 Salpon

Salpon
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

The Currambine store is one of the better ones for sure. They have a good range of Rift Lake cichlids in species only tanks at great prices. Their drygoods are more aimed towards fish beginners though so I don't often spend money there.

For people who live north around joondalup there really aren't many places to go. But I also travel to Midland, Malaga, Cannington etc on the odd occassion to show support, as I'm sure would many others.

I would love to see more LFS in the northern suburbs (or for Exotic to become a sponsor and pick up it's game).

Matt

And Jase, welcome to the forums! I hope we haven't scared you off already.

#12 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Salpon @ Sep 10 2010, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Currambine store is one of the better ones for sure. They have a good range of Rift Lake cichlids in species only tanks at great prices.

i agree with Matt.
Currambine farmers is really good, all the fish there are super healthy and nice to look at.
prices are very competitive there id say.

#13 jase87

jase87
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Thanx for the positive comments Salpon (Matt) and Joey.. I do understand what people are saying, i just think people should be aware that certain City Farmers stores i think play a massive part in the hobby along side the LFS, and all should be respected. As i said, i work at the Currambine City Farmers in fish and as assistant store manager and even i shop around and check out all the LFS north and south of the river.. I think the most important thing is to support all stores big and small, because we are all in the hobby and passionate about it for the same reasons.
jase

#14 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

Better a shop that doesnt feed colour food as apposed to one that does. We are all entitled to our opinion. You go Az!

I will gladly pay for a naturally coloured fish, not a cross dressed female and i couldn't care where they come from, and we all should have the right to advertise on this forum, especially if the contibution is there.

I have never been to a city farmers before and some LFS's have been a bit of a let down lately, i might visit a city farmers this week end

#15 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

The reason I don't like chain stores.....

Big companies moving into areas where small shops are and trying to take over.

BP&G's & CF's have now moved into Midland, So thats now 5 pet stores in Midland a little excessive don't you think?
Putting my job and several other people in other stores jobs at risk.

Better Pets & Gardens
Rovers Retreat
Pets Paradise
Midland Pet & Aquarium Centre

and now City Farmers

That much competition is not good.

So when you come on here and advertise that certain fish are at chain stores, you can see why I would be pissed.
I will openly advertise other sponsors on this forum, but I will not help out non sponsors or big business that likes to move in on smaller ones.

All the sponsors on this forum from WA have worked their butts off to be where they are now, they aren't some HUGE chain that can bulk buy and get better discounts.

So yes I'm pissed at the fact that CF's is now moving into Midland, because I don't want my job at risk, I really enjoy working at Midland and enjoy seeing the people from this forum that come into the store even if they dont like the fish being colorfed wink.gif gibbs.

PS.....

My view is not personally against you Jase87, you seem like a fair bloke..

Also like to add that my views are my personal and not that of my workplace..

#16 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

As with all things in life, people have a preference to where they buy their stuff. Some want the cheapest price they can get, some want the best service and don't care about price. I have been to almost all LFS/petshop/"supermarket" pet stores in Perth. I now shop mainly at Aquotix and Midland even though they're a fair drive. Why? Because I'm comfortable with the staff and they know my requirement, what fish I have/want etc. I also shop at Vebas and Malaga if theres anything new..

So yes, I prefer the smaller shops compared to "chain stores".

Aquotix, Midlands.. and a couple of other PCS sponsors... you have a customer for life!! biggrin.gif

#17 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

the problem i see is that a huge majority of people are tightasses. they will go to the supermarket stores just to save a few bucks. then when all the smaller LFS have closed down they will piss and moan about the lack of variety of fish available to them and the poor knowlege of the staff who are shunted from department to department and probably dont really care about your tank one bit. i am all in favour of shopping around but realise that as the consumer, your actions will shape the future of this hobby.

#18 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Az, I'm sure your already aware of role midland plays to farmers/hobby farmers of the nearby farming district. Midland is the first stop and sometimes only stop for many rural farmers and land owners looking for bulk buys of groceries and pet and livestock supplies. To be honest I'm surprised there is only 5 off the top of your head and it has taken so long for the latest to arrive. It would be crazy for and pet supply chain not to open up shop in the midland area.

Your not the only shop with multiple pet shops in the area. Aquotix has a Better Pets and Gardens and AAA just around the corner as well as a few other good LFS within only a few k's and they have maintained a fantastic and thriving shop. Your closest competitor is probably Morley Aquariums and your shop is always busy. You are probably the only specialty store within miles mate.

I think the key is to be aware of your competitors buy never advertise their exsistance, any advertising is good advertising, and you have provided your competitors with free advertising aswell as your fear of them.

Continue to improve and advance your store as you do and you will always have a job.

Peace

#19 nick05

nick05
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (highlucks @ Sep 10 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No discredit to Kev but if you want quality and variety in rift lake cichlids then these are the places to go.

You're just saying that cos ur a tang fan tongue.gif his range on malawi cichlids is great smile.gif

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Sep 10 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I don't like chain stores.....

Big companies moving into areas where small shops are and trying to take over.

BP&G's & CF's have now moved into Midland, So thats now 5 pet stores in Midland a little excessive don't you think?
Putting my job and several other people in other stores jobs at risk.

Better Pets & Gardens
Rovers Retreat
Pets Paradise
Midland Pet & Aquarium Centre

and now City Farmers

Didn't even cross my mind to see what else was in midland, I only come that way for Midland Pet & Aquarium, I reckon your job is pretty safe wink.gif

#20 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

I always urge people to support their Local aquarium shop. The large super stores use their size to bulk buy and undercut the smaller stores until they are gone, then will raise their prices. It is business at work, eliminate the competition to control the market.
The larger stores generally (always exceptions) are staffed by sales assistants. These stores also have deals with the large suppliers and do not take locally bred fish, or take trade in's when the fish either gets to big or is no longer wanted by the owner.
The local aquarium stores are owned and operated by enthusiasts who have knowledge and experience in keeping fish. They support their customers with giving good service and a wealth of knowledge and advice. They support the hobbiest by accepting fish from the local breeders and by tracking down and ordering in those rare species the hobbiest are seeking that the large chain store would never consider as they are not main stream and a proven seller, therefore not profitable.
Those in the industry can tell you the numberous times that they have to help sort out problems for customers who have bought equipment or stock from the chain store due to either lack of advice or incorrect information.
I know with my limited time in the retail side, I also get frustrated with those customers who will spend a good 30 minutes getting advice and then going up the road to buy the equipment to save a few dollars.
Our locally owned and operated aquarium stores are esentail to the development of our hobby and we should do all we can by supporting them.

Tony

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users