Photo

A Tip For Queenslanders

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 scarab

scarab
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

Don't wish to add to the argument. But if based on this theory, the whole eruope and northern half of USA and Russia should leave since they get snow storms every year, and japan and Indonesia should be evacuated since they are on the ring of fire and get earthquakes and volcanos respectively

#22 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Ok this is a sensitive topic atm and i can see where this thread is going to go.
EVERYONE on this forum is entitled to have there opinion.
Whilst i do not agree with the timing or some of what has been said pls try to remain civil to each other when posting.
If this thread degenerates into a slanging match then it will be locked.

Brad

#23 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (werdna @ Jan 13 2011, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This one makes much more sense
http://news.ninemsn....lame-for-floods

LMAO

#24 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

Den if you are an Aussie i am ashamed to be one. I CALL FOR THE KICK VOTE

Where people grow up, work the land, see loved ones live and die will always be home and a place of there hearts no matter how how much they go through.

wow, can you and others please explain what Ive said exactly thats offended you? I think some of you are reading things in my posts that simply are not there.

Infact i dont even no why im explaining this to you. I notice you havent posted this crap over on Spuds site, go do it, you know he wouldn't stand for it especially as we haven't heard from Dragon in the last fortnight.

I cant, you guys are keeping me too busy here.

Edited by Cawdor, 13 January 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#25 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

The reason for my comment Den is you seem to not have the wherewithawl to engage that part of your humanity that should be saying to you "This is not the time nor place to engage in ridiculous and callous comment" every time there is an issue that can have a negative stance you take it upon yourself to be the caped crusader for that negative.

For once it would be great to see a post by Den saying "Wow, have you seen the good work that is being undertaken in the face of adversity" rather than state that these people affected should move to higher ground.

Den in 2 years I have seen you inflame a number of threads and start an amazing amount of pointless drivle, one can only assume that you get off on the attention, as such I am sadly an enabler of your deficiency, I can only hope that you will reap the seeds of you opinion at some point.

Den maybe being a narsocist does not fully explain this continued lack of moral or ethical judgement but Sociopath seems to.

so·ci·o·path   
–noun Psychiatry .
a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

nar·cis·sism 
–noun
1. inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity.
2. Psychoanalysis . erotic gratification derived from admiration of one's own physical or mental attributes, being a normal condition at the infantile level of personality development

#26 rx007

rx007
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Wonder what happened to all the fishtanks?

#27 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

Bit bored this morning Den?

I see the fishings going well wink.gif

#28 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

There is a time and a place for this. Please lock it down.

#29 Rod

Rod
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

We already have design for houses that handle floods.....they are called Queenslanders and they are built on stumps

Plenty of them have been flooded many times.....

Trouble is if you design houses for flood and bush fires and cyclones and earthquakes.....they would be unaffordable
And as happens now....the next person who buys them doesn't understand and adds something that destroys the original concept

Drift restaurant sank because they added a cool room to the side of he building that tied it to the riverbank.....destroying the original concept
It's a steel barge designed to float in a flood it was built in a shipyard and floated into place so it does float!!!
And the bit that did float away wasn't part of the original design!

You can't legislate against people taking a short cuts to save a buck

On a Good note....a well know lfs fishchicks (new sponsor on this forum)was without power and the owner Jodi was caught at her home
A group of regulars have taken charge done water changes and organized a generator....I wasn't involved....couldn't get there if I'd known anyway....but it makes me proud to be a Queenslander!!

Don't worry about us Queenslanders......what doesn't kill you makes you stronger....we'll sort it out!!!

Edited by Rod, 13 January 2011 - 02:06 PM.

#30 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

LAWDOG, can I suggest that if you want to make a point you should explain which of my comments you are reffering to? Im sure if you can acuse me of being a sociopath you could at least point out one of my comments that will support your opinion?

After consideration, I can see that I have spoken out too quickly, society will begin to judge and ask the same questions Im asking here in about a week or two time, then in 3-6 months time the comedians will move in and make this terrible and "avoidable" disaster part of their standup material mocking all the stupidy and you will see people on TV go from making insincere "heart felt condolences" to cracking jokes to which most of you will laugh, people are crazy.

Ive not said dont help these people, Im just saying if your gonna spend our tax money dont waste it on rebuilding in flood areas again, use money to relocate people or improve preventative infrastructure, anyway nice talking with ya's all again.

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 02:06 PM.

#31 scotty81

scotty81
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Den there is a time and a place for everything, and while you make a great point, your timeing is terrable. Whats happened has happened and people need the positive support, there will be plenty of time for your type of discussion once the situation is over and people have had there time to grieve.

#32 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Den there is a time and a place for everything, and while you make a great point, your timeing is terrable. Whats happened has happened and people need the positive support, there will be plenty of time for your type of discussion once the situation is over and people have had there time to grieve.
OK thanks Scotty, I will respect that, but please excuse me while I get back to some of my critics.

I can only hope that you will reap the seeds of you opinion at some point.

LAWDOG, can you please explain this comment? you see me as a bad guy but I dont recall ever wishing harm on anyone. Are you implying that you wish harm to befall me? please explain exactly what for?

BTW it is refreshing to see the good nature of Australians, our news is more focused on our people, where I noticed in the American press on their oil disaster all they talked about was the financial costs, not much spoken for the many lives lost.

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 02:51 PM.

#33 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

Quite easy Den,
Lets disect the post:

"A Tip for Queenslanders" - Now I might be looking at this all wrong, but the last thing the anyone in Queensland needs right now is tips from a guy looking at his keyboard in Western Australia, explaining what they should be doing.

"its just Ive noticed you people keep rebuilding in those flood prone areas, its not a brave thing to do, its sounds plain stupid." - Now to make a statement like that implies that if a person tries to rebuild their life where the insurance companies will allow, that being on the land they currently hold title to, then they are not brave but stupid.

" its seems many, maybe even most of the people affected by the flood built or bought properties in known flood areas, why should we spend want our tax dollars on a stupid state Govenment that allows people to build in known floodways" - How is this helpful, people buy where they are able to buy, Tax payers dollars are better spent here than many other current areas of spending.

Den, as stated if you were a sociopath, which is to say that you seem to lack a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience, it would explain this and a number of other posts because you seem prone to making a comment without respect of what the wider audience may feel about an issue and then seem quite hurt when people respond negatively to your intial ponderings. Wether you are a sociopath is of course between yourself and your chosen health care professional.

Reap the seeds you sow - this is an intersting comment as it opens the door for a wide range of implications, you have chosen to take it that I would wish you harm, quite to the contrary I only hope that you will be disappointed at some future time by the inconsiderate ramblings of another. So maybe I am a sociopath as I did not take into consideration what you might feel about this comment or maybe that just make me inconsiderate.

I suppose all that I am saying Den is that I for one as a single member of this community wish that you would take the time to think through your statements and try to play devil's advocate upon yourself and see how your statements could be received in the wider community. Maybe you don't get a buzz out of having a post go viral, or maybe it saddens you that your post seems to misconstrued more than some others I don't know but in many things timing is everything and yours was bad.

#34 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (bradfitzy @ Jan 13 2011, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Much like tornado ally in the states ...every year the houses get blown away and every year people will rebuild there.

I don't think these are comparable. It's neither practical nor sensible to avoid building on an area the size of Canada.

A tornado is a frightening thing and deadly to encounter, but several trashed houses/businesses every year is nothing compared to the benefit gained from tens of millions of people living there. The burden on people giving aid to those affected is negligible, and the loss of life while regrettable is effectively self-inflicted. Driving a car is a much worse risk to take.

On the other hand I see no problem with a pro-active government zoning all repeat-flooding land as park, bush, sporting, whatever usage only.

And since our government (which is ourselves, let's be blunt) can't think far enough ahead to do this, then it comes down to individuals to be sensible enough to reject living in a hole waiting to fill with water.

It was nice to see our most recent ex prime minister getting stuck in helping people out in his neighbourhood. It was also worth noting that he said something like "Oh, don't worry about my house, if I go under so does about everyone else".

At the very least such land should be zoned and clearly labelled as "20-year flood-prone" and to anyone wanting to live there it should be made glaringly plain that it's a temporary arrangement and you will probably get insufficient notice of a flood to get your gear to safety. "100-year flood-prone" such as much of what is flooded today might be a different category. Like tornado alley, that's too much land to simply not use.

Den might not have buttered up his words in order to sound PC, but he's fundamentally absolutely correct: We're bog stupid to keep building on regularly-flooded land.

If rich politicians who live on high ground won't make the policies for us, let's vote in politicians who will.

#35 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

WOW.... neakit , den .... den , you live in warnbro yes, does that mean we shall'nt cry for you if garden island is bombed ... ''prone to attack'' if our presence in many world wide conflicts should provoke such a thing . neakit , u live in morely yes , i hope the ever growing crime and drug problem of the burbs does not see you robbed or stabbed,
by your own standards you would have brought such things on yourself by choosing to live where you do .
these people have lost there lives due to natural disaster and that can strike no matter where you live...

grow a brain

#36 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Den up to his tricks again. Posting to antagonise, provoke argument and create as much fuss as possible for no other reason than his own amusement. The world is made up of lots of types of people including narcissist Sociopath's. All you need to do is review Dens previous posts to understand that it does not matter the subject, Den will use a little bit of knowledge and pseudo science or "evidence" to develop his point and expect everyone else to prove him wrong. It is best to take everything Den posts with a pinch of salt or just try and ignore him. Don't bite back, sooner or later he will get bored and move on.

Tony

#37 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

+ 1 with tony , tic tock

#38 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

Tony I put up a post to engauge a discussion on the subject, its what all members do, but for some reason Im prone to getting attacked by a few of the "same" people, and when I respond in defence I get called the antagonist? I think its an unfair label, if you look closely every post of mine is a response to a direct attack on me.

den , you live in warnbro yes, does that mean we shall'nt cry for you if garden island is bombed ... ''prone to attack'' if our presence in many world wide conflicts should provoke such a thing

Scottyhottoon, let me put your "disturbingly twisted" metaphore into a real comparison, if Garden island and the neighbouring area I live in was repeatedly bombed in the past and we who survived continued rebuilding even knowing and being warned that another bombing is definitely coming I guess that would what make sense to you too? if your gonna tell people to grow brains I suggest that you get some of the same fertiliser...

Lawdog, I dont want to write an essay exposing the weaknesses in your arguement, the average reader can work that out, Id rather focus on what I think is the real reason you and a few other people on here resent me for which is the previous dog discussions. I have friends on here who own dogs and have read my posts, I wonder if its just a coincidence that they are all responsible dog keepers and therefore do not get offended by my dog posts?

theonetruepath, neatkit, Rod, Dave, thanks, its nice to listen to a few thinking people out there, pity a rational discussion is not really possible on this website any more.

Edited by Den, 13 January 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#39 Sarah Jayne

Sarah Jayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

I hate to say it Den.. Your post makes me want to learn more about you? Catch up for a beer sometime cheers.gif or coffee

#40 choombies

choombies
  • Banned

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

i feel the same way Sarah also love to catch up with him!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users